What's new

My grammar questions

トムさんによると、ケンさんは今日、先生が読んでと言った本を読んでしまいたそうです。According to Tom Ken finished reading the book the teacher said to read.
トムさんによると、ケンさんは先生が読むように(と)言っていた本を、今日読み終えた/終わったそうです。

読んでと言った本 is not wrong, but よう works fine for the indirect quotation of order/request.
If he finished reading the book today, not the teacher said it today, it's better to put 今日 right before 読む to avoid being misinterpreted.
If it's もう読んでしまったそうです, it doesn't connote regret and just expresses the action completed. However, just 読んでしまった connotes regret, so 読み終えた/終わった is more appropriate.

ベールを飲んじゃった。I finished this drinking this beer.
ールを飲んじゃった。 (connoting regret)
ビールを飲み終えた/終わった。 ("I finished drinking beer" without connoting regret.)

For this structure of saying "a phone call from" do I need to always nominalize it?
"A phone call from~" is a noun. That's the reason. If you are talking about a verb "to respond a phone call" just like 電話する for "to call", there is no such verb.

Would 父からの電話 be correct?
Yes.

おはようございます、皆さん。元気ですか。おかげさまで、私は元気です。

Thank you, Toritoribe.

If it's もう読んでしまったそうです, it doesn't connote regret

I understand that this would connote that a action is completed as the もう means "already."

However, just 読んでしまった connotes regret

ールを飲んじゃった。 (connoting regret)

But I am confused about these two. From what the book said しまう can be read as either completed or to show regret and that context is the only way to tell the difference. From the first sentence the use of もう helps give context that the reading would be "completed" but for these two why is the connotation regret and not also completion?

I think that the use of 終えた/終わった is a more solid way of expressing completion and that しまう is more used to show regret...maybe.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

Yes, that's right. When choosing ~てしまう among other expressions for completion, it's often for connoting "regret".

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。おかげさまで、私は元気です。

Today I would like to cover ながら. This is used to show that two actions are done simultaneously. ながら affixes to the stem form of verbs. The second verb determines the tense and polarity. From one of my reference books it states that the main action comes second and the secondary action is listed first.

Therefore AながらB While doing B I also did A. The main action is B, but A is also being done as well.

私は音楽を聞きながら、勉強します。While I study I listen to music.

背が高い男の人は暑い部屋でギータを引きながら、テレビを見ました。The tall man is watching TV and playing guitar in the hot room.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

背が高い男の人は暑い部屋でギータを引きながら、テレビを見ました。The tall man is watching TV and playing guitar in the hot room.

Watch your verb tenses. This is a recurring issue.

Therefore AながらB While doing B I also did A. The main action is B, but A is also being

No. You've got your A and B backwards.

Also, in your final translated sentence, you have somehow managed to omit the singlemost important word in the grammar point you are studying.

こんばんは、皆さん。

どうもありがとうございます。

I see that I keep mistranslating my own sentences. 🤦 I really do need to watch that.

And I some how manage to not include the word "while" in my final sentence.🤦

Thanks everyone!

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。おかげさまで、私は元気です。

Hello! I have finally covered intransitive verb. I am very excited to review this as this is something I have never fully understood until now.

So the idea is that intransitive verbs show a change that happened to the object and a doer is not needed. Transitive verbs need a doer.

For example:
The TV was turned off. This shows that a action was done to the TV. Some entity had to act on the TV.
The TV went off. In this example the TV went out and there was no doer.

Also the subject of a intransitive verb takes が。The ている form shows that a change in state occurred and is still in effect.

椅子の上にあるテレビがついています。 The TV on the chair is on.
箱が閉まりました。The box closed. This one shows that the box closed on its own, however this states that the box was closed and what state it is in now is left unsaid, right?
壊れている車を買おうと思います。I intend to buy the broken car.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

椅子の上にあるテレビがついています。 The TV on the chair is on.
That's basically correct, but notice that in a sentence like this one, certainly *somebody* turned the TV on. The intransitive is sometimes used when we just aren't interested in specifying who did that.
In ドアが閉まりました, it could be any of:
a) Some unnamed person closed the door.
b) Some natural force (like wind) closed the door.
c) It's an automatic door and literally closed itself.

In this kind of sentence, it's not there's necessarily no actor, it's that we are only trying to convey that the door closed (or that the TV is still on, etc.), and aren't interested in conveying how that happened. If it's important to clarify that we really do mean the door closed itself we can say something like ドアが自動的に閉まりました。

Or consider 僕は6時前起きました for example. The same event could possibly be described as 六時前母が僕を起こしました, or possibly it can't, maybe the speaker woke up on their own. In the first sentence we just don't know.

This isn't really any different from English. If someone says they got up before six, it presumably doesn't matter if they woke up by themselves, an alarm clock woke them, or a person woke them. If it did matter, they could have been more specific.

So, yes, the intransitive says that 'subject did an action', and it often means the subject acted on their own, but not necessarily.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

Thank you for explaining the intransitive form. Very helpful!

My next question is about the particle と。 This follows the plain form of verbs and shows a cause and effect relationship. Whenever A, B will happen.

会社に行くと、私は忙しくなります。 Whenever I go to the office, I become busy.

辛い食べ物を食べると、水を飲みたいです。Whenever I eat spicy food I want to drink water.

走ると、疲れます。Whenever I run I will be tired.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

辛い食べ物を食べると、水を/が飲みたくなります。 is more appropriate as same as the first example sentence.

The conditional と is used for repeatedly happened things, so it's usually not used for one-off events. That's the difference from 昨日辛い食べ物を食べたら、水を/が飲みたくなりました, for instance.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

Good day, everyone.
I apologize for being absent for a month. I had to do some looking at my life and realized that I needed to get a second job at night and then go to school. That is the short of it anyway. I also have been studying Spanish as at the second job many people there speak Spanish and English is not there strong point.
But I still have a intense desire to learn Japanese so I am going to continue learning. I just wanted to thank everyone on here that has helped me so much and I am sorry if I am not able to be on here as frequently as I wish. Well, enough boring you with my personal life.

Thank you, Toritoribe. So と is used for actions that happen regularly.

土日の夜になると、あの大きい店が混む。Every time it becomes night on the weekends, that big store becomes busy. This is wrong...I forgot how to use a verb with なる and the first part looks wrong to me. I guess this is what happens you do not study for a month.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

My ability to use the wrong words is ever present, Mike. Also the irony of this is just too great. AHAHHAHH! Thanks, Mike, that made my day.

So と is used for actions that happen regularly.

土日の夜になると、あの大きい店が混む。Every time it becomes night on the weekends, that big store becomes busy. This is wrong...I forgot how to use a verb with なる and the first part looks wrong to me. I guess this is what happens you do not study for a month.
Although 週末の夜になると would be more natural, there is no problem with 土日の夜になると. I know you wanted to use と conditional, but just 毎週末の夜 would be the most common in that case as same as "every weekend night" in English.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。私は来週の火曜日の十一時に私の夜の仕事のオリエンテーションに行くから、とても沸いています。

どうもありがとうございます.Thank you. I am happy to see that the only problem was that my sentence sounded awkward.

じゃ、また。

おはようございます、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

Hello, all. I though it would be a good idea if I were to post the writing exercises on here as I do them.

For these I was told to answer. The lesson before this was going over transitive and intransitive verbs, so I concluded that I should be allowed to answer using transitive or intransitive.

1. 寝る時、窓を閉めますか。
2.寝る時、電気を消します。寝る時、エアコンを消しますか。
3.朝、窓を開けますか。
4.今朝、鞄の中に何を入れますか。
5.今日、宿題を出しましたか。
6.最近、何か壊しましたか。最近、何か落としましたか。
7.最近、何か汚しましたか
8.よくお湯を沸かしました。

私の答え

1.最近、寒すぎるから、窓が開いていません。 Lately, it is too cold so the window is not open.
2.はい、消します。はい、エアコンも消します。I turn off the lights. I also turn off the AC.
3.はい、涼しい風はいいし、窓を開けます。 Yes, because the cool breeze is nice I open the window.
4.財布とペンと紙と携帯と鍵を入れます。そして、虫が入ります。I put in my wallet, pen, paper, and keys. And bugs enter.
5.はい、出しました。Yes, I put it in.
6.会社でグラスを壊しました。昨日、私の眼鏡を落としました。At work I broke a glass. I dropped my glasses.
7.新しい靴を汚しました。I dirtied my new shoes.
8.はい、毎今朝お茶を入れるから、よくお湯を沸かします。Yes, I drink tea every morning so I often boil water.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

1)
Grammatically correct, but sounds odd since it means you can't control to open the window.

3)
涼しい風が気持ちいいので

4)
今朝、鞄の中に何を入れますか。 is odd. It should be 今朝、鞄の中に何を入れましたか。 or 朝、鞄の中に何を入れますか。.

5)
Glass is コップ.
私の is unnecessary since it's obvious.

8)
If it's よくお湯を沸かしましたか。, this よく means thoroughly/fully. (It can be a past habit, but judging from your answer, I think this is not your intention.) よく means often/frequently in よくお湯を沸かしますか.
Every morning is 毎朝, not 毎今朝.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

どうもありがとうございます。

涼しい風が気持ちいいので

For this can I still use し?

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

The -te form can express the cause/reason, but ~し is used just to connect or list the clauses. Thus, the answer is no.

こんにちは、皆さん。元気ですか。私は元気です。

Greetings all!

Today I bring some exercises from my textbook. The instructions are to explain the given situation and expanded upon it using informal speech and the informal form of てしまう.

1. You borrowed a book from your friend buy lost it.

私の部屋で夜に他の友達と話している。

A ケンさんから本を借りたけど、忘れちゃった。気分が悪い。
B 本当に、どんな本の。
A 教科書んだ。そして、彼は「明日、読む」と言っていた。
B 見た最後の場所はどこの?
A ここ。ベットで読んだ。
B じゃ、下を探したほうがいい。

2. You received a scholarship buy you bougha car with that money.

学校で

A 奨学金をもらったけど、車を買っちゃった。頭がよくないね。
B いいえ。心配しないで。車を買えたほうがいい。ほら、簡単。
A 無理。変えられないんだ。
B なるほど。難しい問題だ。売る?
A いい考え。

3. You told a lie to your friend.

台所で母と話している。

A 友達と嘘を言っちゃった。
B 大きい嘘の?
A いいえ。でも、嘘を言うのが嫌いんだ。
B 友達に謝りに行ったほうがいい。
A はい。今すぐ、行く。

4. You had a fight with your girlfriend.

会社の休憩室 で

A 先週、彼女と喧嘩しちゃった。
B そう。今まで話したの。
A いいえ。悪い者を言った。
B 彼女に花と指輪をあげた方がいい
A それはまあまあけど、できる。

There are still two more questions left, but I am turning in for the night and I wanted to get something up so this seems sufficient to me.

よろしくお願いします。じゃ、また。

1)
夜、部屋でケンさんではない友達と話している。

A ケンさんから本を借りたんだけど、なくしちゃったみたいなんだ。どうしよう。
B 何の本?
A 教科書。明日使うらしい。
B 最後に見たのはどこ?
A ここ。ベットで読んでた。
B ベッドの下は?

3)
台所で母と話している。

A 友達に嘘ついちゃった。