What's new

Getting a tattoo in Japanese

iiVante

Registered
31 Dec 2020
Hi I was thinking about getting a tattoo that says "A fool who dreams" in Japanese writing. Google translates it to 夢を見る愚か者 (Yumewomiru orokamono). I would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm if the google translate is correct and accurate. If it's not, please help me translate it as accurately as possible and I would also love some suggestions of other japanese words or phrases that relate to the phrase "A fool who dreams". Much appreciated :)

I think that a tatoo that refers to yourself as a 'fool' will never be accepted in a positive way by Japanese people. Also, there is a thread on this forum about tatoos. Please read it.

what was the size and placement you were thinking? For some reason I was thinking a small 夢中 at the wrist under the palm, so that it's visible when you rest your chin on your hand, as if lost in thought. I probably wouldn't recommend the "fool" phrase, but I think this word captures the spirit you're going for.

Came back to this idea, For some reason I like the idea of something really subtle and even light on the skin. Something like this you may even get away without needing to cover up in the onsen, it's barely noticeable

Attachments

• muchuu-tattoo.jpg
    muchuu-tattoo.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 151
Shout out to the OP @iiVante whose last login was the day they made their account and this thread.

Big ups to all the drive-by posters who ask a question and never even bother to check the answers. You the real MVPs!

Came back to this idea, For some reason I like the idea of something really subtle and even light on the skin. Something like this you may even get away without needing to cover up in the onsen, it's barely noticeable
I appreciate your advice my man, I did read your last reply a while back, was just doing more research on the tattoo. What you said really helped, and I'll definitely take it into consideration if I get it :) Thanks a million xo

oh WOW i didn't actually expect you to resurface, let alone thank me! haha I think I used up all my blessings for today. Glad it was helpful!

last bit of advice, @iiVante : if your tattooist is not familiar with how to write kanji, don't just use a normal computer font, use a nice script font if you absolutely must. I feel like a tattoo is a special enough application that I would actually commission a calligrapher if i were serious.

Attachments

• muchuu2.jpg
    muchuu2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom