What's new

Favorite Japanese word or phrase

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Wagamama means selfish or spoiled. It's a negative meaning for a funny sounding word.

If you change some of the letters and pronounce it different it kinda sounds like 'Whack a mama' XD lmao!

"shikata ga nai" - it happens/can't be helped

and "omae o korosu" . I'm surprised no one has mentioned that one yet :)

Most of us don't go around threatening to kill people. ;)

mukkatsuku is a good one that I use frequently.

儲かりまっか?
ぼちぼちでんな!
おれは大阪弁好きよ ;)

moukarimakka? (How are you?)
(Lit. How's business)
bochi bochi denna! (I'm fine)
(Lit. Little by little)
ore wa osaka-ben suki yo!
(I like the Osaka dialect ^_^)

I guess it's really spelled mukatsuku but when pronounced with emphasis, it sometimes sounds like mukkatsuku.

It's something to say when you're irritated or pissed off at something. It is not especially offensive and can be said jokingly as well. Often it's directed at someone (like if a person cut you off on the road) but I think it can be directed at circumstances as well (like if you accidentally step in a puddle).

"Nihongo Pera Pera" by Susan Millington

I really enjoyed this book ! It't filled with lots of fun sounds. It was last up-dated in 1994, so I bet there are a lot of new words to be added. The word ONOMATOPOEIA is a Koool word too !!

Frank

There are lots of fun things to say. It's also easy to get a laugh by using out-dated word or unusual words the Japanese don't expect gaijin to know...

ええやろ。 It's okay. (my classmate says this in a low, husky voice so it seems like he's saying あいしてる to our teacher)

なんでやねん! Osaka-ben for "What the heck!?" "what are you on about?" or "what'd you do that for?"

なんでみてんねん? Osaka-ben for "why are you looking at me!?"

さらばじゃ! An older way of saying good-bye. it's pretty casual, so only use it with friends. (don't say it to your gf's father... *cough* :whistling: )

おれはきちょめん。 "I'm detail minded. / I'm anal retentive." Actually one of the first words I learned here.

大丈夫 - だいじょうぶ。 It's okay. I'm okay.
大丈夫?- Are you okay? Is it okay? Probably the first word I learned here. Amazing the things you don't learn at school, or from books, that are so important. You can use this in so many situations, it's not funny.

まじで? I can't believe it! Really?

Lots more, but these were the ones that sprang to mind. :D

ore-sama
korosu [I'm a demon after all, ne? XD]
shinitaika? (Do you want to die? XD)
akuma
okama XD
and I just love onomatopoea.

Sugoi! - Awesome!

Kuwasero! Kuwasero! Kuwasero! - Let me eat! Let me eat! Let me eat!

Nanda koriya! - What the hell is that!

Sugu modorimasu - I'll be right back.

Un - Yes

Ima made no tokoro wa junchou desu - So far, so good. :)

Shigoto ni ikitakunai yo! - I don't want to go to work! :p

Could someone tell me what masaka means exactly? I have a vague idea from hearing it a lot, but a straight explanation would be awesome

Apple Bomb said:
Could someone tell me what masaka means exactly? I have a vague idea from hearing it a lot, but a straight explanation would be awesome

Masaka is like saying, "No way!" So if a friend of yours was to tell you that he won a million dollars, you might say, "Masaka!"

lineartube said:
Moshi-moshi? :) Meaning "Hello", though I think it is only used in phone conversations.
Also used for "Anybody in there?" (after waving a hand in front of your face :D )

ragedaddy said:
When im grubbin on something delicious, I will bust out the ol` Maiyuuuuuuuuuu~~~~~!!!!🍜

I LOVE that :D And who is the foreigner on the show, he is pretty funny too

gokiburi is my favorite, scream it out and point and you can garantee a room of girls to clear. Time carefully before/after taiku and you get interesting results :D

I'll have to second the person who said まじで and なんでやねん

some more favorites:
微妙 - bimyou... hard to translate. but it means "hazy, vague, subtle" and it's what you say when you don't wanna really answer. Like "Do you have a crush on him??" "Ahh, bimyou..."

きのせ - "You imagined it/you're hearing things/you're trippin." Say it when you say something you didnt really want the other person to hear after thay say "what?".... or when you trip and barely recover yourself and want to pretend like it never happened!

しつこい - in reference to food it means rich and greasy, but in reference to a person it's like stubborn, can't take a hint.

I like little funny sayings like: 馬の耳に念仏 - saying a buddhist prayer to a horse. means like... falling on deaf ears.

ヘー ホー all the great sounds! they mean things like "wow." Usually on TV everyone says them together. Heheh.

はんなまたな! - how you say so long in kansai

うち - me/I in the kansai, for girls.

I like all kansai-ben actually. 好きやで! :)

おまえわもうしんでいる, taken from 北斗の拳, Kenshiro's catch phrase.

It's not exactly a favorite, but I get myself talking this one now and then, when I watch some competitions, or matches or something with winners and losers, this phrase comes out naturally...

This topic reminds me of "Seed of (something)" an old TV show that has been off the air for few years now. I can't really recall the name of it right now. Anyway, they had a 10 minute spot on the phrase: 「にわにはにわにわとりがいる」

Back
Top Bottom