What's new

Do you use social media?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Something I have been meaning to ask our members for a long time: do you actively use social media, like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. ?

If so, which networks do you frequent and what do you mainly use them for?

Here on JREF, we introduced social media buttons three years ago. They generate a trickle of additional traffic, but it's not really significant. However, more and more members seem to sign up through Facebook due to its simplicity. The "viral effect" of SN is still marginal at best.

Apart from promoting JREF-related content, I personally use Facebook and Google+ once in a while, but I abhor the exhibitionism displayed there. I'm not really interested in what people had for lunch or where they've spent their weekends. I have never understood the hype over Twitter, which seems totally useless (although even the pope appears to use it these days, in Latin).

What are your social media habits? Do you believe they have a future?

What we're doing right here in this thread is the full extent of my "social media" usage.

But just remember, we already have a growing cadre of youngsters for whom social media, like oxygen, has always been there.

Which is why we have all these flashy buttons.

I wonder how we managed to get our homework done without Wikipedia back then at school ...

Which is why we have all these flashy buttons.

I wonder how we managed to get our homework done without Wikipedia back then at school ...

I'm still trying to figure out how we learned Japanese before the internet. The homework bit I understand (I didn't get it done, generally).

I use Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Google+.

I have a personal Twitter account on top of that, but I only use Facebook and Google+ for my blog promotion.
For my blog Facebook is working the best and I also enjoy it the most among the 3 followed by Twitter.
I'm not so much into Google+ at the moment.

I've been active in various online forums ever since 2000/2001 - most of them were related to Japan - and that's something I still enjoy a lot nowadays.

My social media habits are pretty bad, I guess. I spend too much time on all of them! (^___^'') ....
I think social media will become more and more important in the next few years, but I can imagine that there will be new platforms maybe replacing the current ones.

ZJ, then I'm sure you still remember the japanlink.de forum run by a guy called Andreas. They had the most active German-language forum on Japan and then simply disappeared.

This was of course in the pre-SN era. :)

I thought that was the commonly accepted acronym for "social networks", as SM certainly doesn't stand for "social media".

I thought that was the commonly accepted acronym for "social networks", as SM certainly doesn't stand for "social media".

Oh, I see! Never heard of it. Or "social network" either, now that I think about it.

I had a Google+ account but it got banned because I refused to submit to the "real names" policy, I liked the privacy settings. I have a Facebook account but don't use it much. I don't have a twitter account and am not sure I ever will. I don't text either. I prefer to speak to people I know personally on the phone and I like email, forums, IRC, and Skype for the rest.

I am just don't see why anyone would want to know what anyone had to eat or everything they did all day long. If its some big event or really special meal or something, then OK, but usually its just a lot of garbage that I really don't care about.

i have a facebook that I used to be addicted to, but only because of the games. What my friends do in their daily lives I don't really care about, and like you said, knowing what someone had to eat isn't exciting and not-at-all worthy of posting on a social media website. I have multiple emails, but I don't send emails, and if I do then it is about one or two every year and those are to my mother or father. I have a Skype that I use with my penpals, and I love it. Google+ is uninteresting to me, but they still haven't caught on to me not using my real 'full' name. :) WordPress, wikis, and forums are the only things that interest me online now, besides anime.

I use Facebook often, but 90% of what I see is trash... "happy 4th month anniversary luv <3" types are the worst, but I already learned to just ignore those. I basically use it because of the chat, and the groups. Being a little introverted/shy, it's easier. For some reason, I feel awkward speaking on the phone, and usually have to prepare myself to make a call :) Also, groups make it easier to communicate, i.e. now that I will be going to Japan, I can just post in the class' group to tell them that "I'll be in X city on this day, who's free?", instead of tracking down everyone individually. I do post a few things, but I try not to be annoying. Posting a picture of myself after having my hair cut from shoulder-lenght to about 2 centimeters was probably my worst offense. :)
I also have Google+, but I don't use it... I believe I only registered to post on a blog.
And I also have Youtube, if that counts.
I'm not into twitter or anything like that yet, and I don't think I ever will.

I have an account for all of them but rarely use. The reason is only very few of my friends know how to use them... :D

I use them for different reasons, but less so recently.

Facebook I use for personal contacts. I see it as more of an online address book than anything else. You can block updates from people who you don't want to see, and as it turns out, I ended up blocking more than 95% of the 'friends' on there. I have a like page for my website too but I was late to add it so the numbers aren't impressive really.

Twitter I used for quick communication with people I don't really know and advertisement. It worked well at first but I'm not getting much use out of it recently, maybe because I've become a bit boring with not much to say so I don't post there too much now. I had a fair number of 'followers' a couple of years ago, but the number hasn't changed significantly at all since then.

Google+ I look at once a month but don't really know why. It seems popular with photographers though. I suspect it will have a random serge to be the most favoured platform within the next 5 years and then die down again. A surprising amount of people have me in their 'circles' though.

Mixi (Japanese social network) I've not really started on, my wife uses it a lot though and gets me private students using it sometimes.

All the others I don't use at all.

First time i heard about Facebook from my friends i registered then i looked around the main page, got confused..then i looked at my personal page, Big mess, Couldn't understand anything...Logged off.
Next day i joined JREF on FB and i managed to post some posts..then i logged off forever :D
I never had a problem understanding a website like FB lol, It's just an endless page of BS XD

After that i registered in Twitter hoping that i could find better social website easier than FB, Sadly i found my self in a weird and complicated side from the internet...then i quit Twitter.

Google+ i made account and i never visit it.

Youtube, i uploaded some videos then i stopped using my account.

I don't post in any Arabic or English forums but JREF, Although i'm still in the wrong side of this forum *Stuck* :D

I still check into Facebook daily, but I never cross it over with my other Internet activities, mainly because my mom is on there.
Separately, I use Google+ a little, Tumblr daily (this site could benefit from appearing on Tumblr, for better or worse, since anime/Japan interests are high there), and DeviantArt, which is pretty specialized.
I prefer forums, though, just for the structure of how dialogues persist on them. On Facebook, a two week old conversation disappears like a glass of water in the ocean.

I mainly use Facebook these days, but I used to have a myspace, mixi and a hyves acount (Dutch SNS).

I have two FB accounts, one for friends and family and one for work related stuff since I don't want people from work to read my drunk messages (normally I delete them the day after though).

It does annoy me to receive all those invitations and that I have to block all those games from friends. Also being tagged in photo's or posts that you don't want to be tagged in can be a bit annoying.

Hello, I've been an addict for two years now :D. Yeah, I used to be on Facebook 3-4 hours every day. Now I've just been getting tired of it because it kind of seems like a big online popularity contest. The only reason I haven't deleted mine yet is because I've linked my Spotify, Turntable.fm and plug.dj accounts to it...

yeah it can be a too much sometimes like you said PPND, it really feels like a contest who can post the best photo, best likes etc.

Nice for family, but sometimes... well GET a real life. (including myself)

Facebook - I never really liked it. I just have an account so I know who's celebrating a birthday because I don't keep a birthday calendar and I tend to forget dates. But whenever I log on, I get so stressed at all the trash I see. FB is feeding people's narcissism. I can't delete my account, though, because it is my only link to a lot of my high school and university friends.

Google+ - I have an account that I have never used. I can't get the hang of it

Tumblr and Pinterest - I spend the most time on these because I can just look at interesting and funny pictures. The difference with FB is that these pictures are actually funny, not pictures of what someone had for lunch. I also get most of my craft and home design inspirations from Pinterest.

Twitter - I like Twitter because it's just microblogging. I don't have to be accosted by narcissistic posts (ie, Facebook)

Back
Top Bottom