What's new

Do you believe that dreams can tell you something?

I fell asleep with the Tv on the other night and had a dream that my husband I were the only survivors on earth as we were in an ice cave in antarctica doing research on the environment while the rest of the world was killed from methane gas! That's what you get when you leave the tv on Discovery Channel. They were playing shows about the end of the earth and such.

Tasui said:
that's true, in psychology dreams are considered distorted messages that come from previous experiences that has been stored in the subconcious. They are not predictions or premonitions.
I beg to differ. While in university I was worried about a psychology class I was taking as the Prof did not tell us one way or another what type of final test he would give us. Would it be essay or questions or what? I wanted to max a GPA of 4.0 for that semester and I had a definite chance of doing it as I knew the other 4 classes would be maxed. I worried about it so much as I so dearly wanted a 4.0.

About 3 days before the test I had a dream that the test would consist of a reproduction of the summaries of the chapters in the textbook with all the key words blacked out and we were to fill in the blanks and there were 100 blanks. I trusted that dream for some reason and memorized the summaries and the key psychological words.

To my utter amazement, on test day, it was exactly as I dreamed it and I scored a 98, received an 'A' and a 4.0 for the class and a 4.0 for the semester.

This is only one case where it happened to me. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it was because I worried about it so much, I don't know, but I do know for a fact that dreams can predict the future as this one definitely did. Was I somehow able to tap into the teachers mind in the dream state? Why did I trust that dream enough to believe it and study only what I dreamed?

Some say it is just a coincidence, but for those that know me by now, I do not believe in coincidence. From that day some 32 years ago I believe dreams have something to say even though one has never been as precise as that one.

Well somehow that's why I am saying that none of these theories seems satisfying to me :)
From what I recall about my class, for this specific theory, they did some brain scans on people while they were dreaming and noticed some alternate "random" changes in neural activity.
Still, I wonder why we are looking for an explanation and do not just accept dreams just as they are :)
Don't worry, I got your point, just wanted to underline (as for questioning in general) this particular one for given reasons.

The reason for "random" changes are simple. if you go into a new territory, you may not have the according overlook or details. Thus it appears to be "random" the very same way. Also, if you hear a new language, it appears to be "random" to the foreign listener first. Then by and by you recognise certain rules and reappearing patterns etc. Thats how you learn.
But at times, it is in fact just random, like a junk pile or a wildflower meadow, which is only a part of what there is outside, as much as inside.
;-)

Its as easy as that. I hope, they will recognise this sooner or later, when they get their "wires" sorted out.

We would have to be careful here, in that actually we don't really know that much. For the most part, actually psychology is dragging its heels in some respects on this one. Neuroscience will be able to give us a better picture of what's going down, but it will have to work together with other fields too--though of course not ideas already shown to be somewhat off, such as Freudian or Jungian views.

For the most part, sleep appears to be repairing work time, and play back time. It cannot be denied, however, that what we usually see as future can be recalled from dreams. The obsticle here, is to show that there is future, rather than a present unfolding entropy, the information of which can sometimes, to some degree, be retained simultaneously.

There is yet much to be explored and tested, so it's hard to say just what is, or is not regarding the function of sleep, and especially dreaming. It is fascinating, however.

Some say it is just a coincidence, but for those that know me by now, I do not believe in coincidence. From that day some 32 years ago I believe dreams have something to say even though one has never been as precise as that one.

You are absolutely right, its no just and only coincidence at all, and you are very fine tuned, inter-ested, by all means, thus you received your level rightly, congrats!;-)

We also just have that theme on a science forum and on our Synnie forums, thus are well informed.(gotta move over again, bye!)

In one way of looking at it, however, we'd have to say that Pachipro's incident was coincidental. That is that is was most obviously a pretty one time shot.

It's just something that can happen, and when it does, it is merely conincidental in nature. I very seriously doubt we could ascribe such an event to any particular average state of brain at all.

Mars Man said:
In one way of looking at it, however, we'd have to say that Pachipro's incident was coincidental. That is that is was most obviously a pretty one time shot.
May be quite true MM, but could it be that it bothered me so much and I so desired it so much that I was able to tap into something that Jung calls the "collective conciousness"? Maybe that was what happened, but we'll never know for sure and can just speculate.

I've also had a few vivid dreams/nightmares these past few years about my job driving a truck. In two dreams I ended up in some kind of water (perhaps the Tennessee River I cross twice every night?) and was looking for the "white light".

Another dream I had once, but never forgot, was a big truck with a white trailer passing me in the left lane and then coming into my lane too early and pushing me off the road into the trees. Therefore, I have always been wary of a truck with a solid white trailer passing me at night and am extra careful.

Neither dream has come true, but you never know! Maybe they were warning me to be careful? But what about the dream where I ended up in the water? Maybe it's just a fear I have that is manifesting itself in my dreams. I don't know, but it bothers me at times as when I leave for work at night and I wonder if I will return to see my wife again. Therefore, I never leave without a kiss and never leave angry.

Also, I once had a very vivid dream where I dreamt I dreamt. In other words I had a dream wherein I had a dream, woke up in my dream, and told my dream wife about the dream I had. I then woke up and was totally confused. Has anyone ever dreamed that they had a dream? I still think about that one today.

Oh, also I had a dream last night where I saw the yen go to 83 yen/US$. Honestly, it was last night and I was looking a chart and saw it change from 105 to 83/$. Weird? We'll just wait and see, but it could also be because I read two days ago that it could go 75yen/$ and it was manifesting itself in my dream. We'll see.

I beg to differ. While in university I was worried about a psychology class I was taking as the Prof did not tell us one way or another what type of final test he would give us. Would it be essay or questions or what? I wanted to max a GPA of 4.0 for that semester and I had a definite chance of doing it as I knew the other 4 classes would be maxed. I worried about it so much as I so dearly wanted a 4.0.

About 3 days before the test I had a dream that the test would consist of a reproduction of the summaries of the chapters in the textbook with all the key words blacked out and we were to fill in the blanks and there were 100 blanks. I trusted that dream for some reason and memorized the summaries and the key psychological words.

To my utter amazement, on test day, it was exactly as I dreamed it and I scored a 98, received an 'A' and a 4.0 for the class and a 4.0 for the semester.

This is only one case where it happened to me. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it was because I worried about it so much, I don't know, but I do know for a fact that dreams can predict the future as this one definitely did. Was I somehow able to tap into the teachers mind in the dream state? Why did I trust that dream enough to believe it and study only what I dreamed?

pure coincidence. It won't happen again. And if happens, it's just a matter of odds.

Also, if you hear a new language, it appears to be "random" to the foreign listener first. Then by and by you recognise certain rules and reappearing patterns etc.

Interresting comparison which brings me to ask everybody the following question:

What language do you use in your dream? Do you dream in your native language? Mothertongue? A second language?

When I lived in Japan I dreamed very much in Japanese. Could it be because I was fluent? I don't know. But the majority of my dreams were in Japanese and I was satisfied with that and never thought it odd.

However, here in the the US the majority of my dreams are in English with a little Japnese, both written and speaking, thrown in here and there.

It's just something that can happen, and when it does, it is merely conincidental in nature. I very seriously doubt we could ascribe such an event to any particular average state of brain at all.

Remember, how Einstein found several solutions?

Just as a hint. . .

And many scientists report the very same.

Such dreams are definitely not coincidences, the brain's deeper, more sensual level, is searching for according signs, and if you are really into something, you have a pretty good chance, to find the answers there

Thinking alone is not enough. That is very well already accepted.
It is even a principle for every creative worker, to go outside that logical sphere and start from "another" side, that may at first look unrelated, but then opens a window for fresh air, so to say. Dreams are such windows, and can also put both brain-sides together and then you get a clear answer. Happens all the time.
There is this funny habit hereabout of putting your book (of learnings, languages or whatever) under your sleeping cushion. This is for example another hint to this. . .tune yourself into a question and let it be solved "by itself", during sleep, as we say here. One has particularly to pay attention to the morning dreams, as they sum up your unconscious researches. Those are also called "prophetic dreams", guess, why.

It is common knowledge, that it works via self-programming, -suggestion, you make a "setting" this way. Its no hokus pokus at all.
It is digging in the well of subconsciousness, so to say, and very well already widely respected.
Try to learn languages via playing/listening to certain music (wasn't it Mozart first?), that is about the same. You activate the other parts of your brain, and wow, it works far better and faster, to learn those words. All for long confirmed, scientifically.
It has also to do with certain brain waves, particularly, when you relax, which via music is as well done as via sleep.

Pachipro, you are in fact more part of the common layers here, the intuitive ones, who are "beyond walls", as we say here, collective consciousness, as good. . .comes out as the same.
You also made your settings by having a particular driving question, book under your cushion or not. Its in no way a coincidence at all. Just use this knowledge furtherhin, it will be very helpfull!

If I come across the according links of research, I will post it here, there are loads of great scientific informations on the matter. You could fill several threads with them, all accepted, only not yet widely conscious, also how they are connected, thats all.

Also, I once had a very vivid dream where I dreamt I dreamt. In other words I had a dream wherein I had a dream, woke up in my dream, and told my dream wife about the dream I had. I then woke up and was totally confused. Has anyone ever dreamed that they had a dream? I still think about that one today.
This happens to me pretty often, btw, you get used to it. This comes prefarably in the morming, you wake up from waking up from waking up etc.
Those last ones I do not like, they irritate me for a while, when really up.
;-)

But some box in the box in the box etc. dreams are quite interesting, I even have them linked together and can come back to the first one in the end or so. I often get definite stories in stories and even remember them very well. Sometimes I can even move forwards and backwards between the dream layers, when conscious about the structure of the dream, which very well happens at times. But sometimes I try too hard and wake up instead of switching layers, grr. . .

May be quite true MM, but could it be that it bothered me so much and I so desired it so much that I was able to tap into something that Jung calls the "collective conciousness"?

First of all, Jung's 'collective conscious' theory is hardly worth trying to support these days, although one 'overlap' (as I would define it) that he percieved could possibly be due the lack of time (there is no flow, but as the universe is an entropy system, eveything is singular--our brains interpret it in an illusion fashion basically).

If a person were to conseculatively dream of 'future' events in the precise manner and circumstances that events unfolded in their own lives and those of others around them, we could say that it was not coincidental. This is what makes the difference.

What so many people forget to take in mind, is that while asleep, many of the inhibitory systems are inactive, yet, the brain is still at work. Now that brain state, is primarily no greater nor less than the actual brain state; no one is going to 'expand' consciousness. For that reason, to touch on an idea which Chi65 is trying to present, the creative brain will be just as creative, the non-creative brain will be just as non-creative, the impaired brain will be just as impared--there will be no differences other than that certain inhibitory systems will be inactive.

It might be good dreamer, to not try to start any new questions here in this thread. You might want to open a new one though.

Sorry about that Mars Man, it was just a question that came across my mind as I was reading these interesting posts :)

Now concerning the "fortune telling" aspect of dreams, I remember having once read in an obscure AI book that our brains were much more powerful than any CPU and potentially able to input data from our daily experience and statistically sort out the most likely outcome.

Of course this book had no "scientific evidence" about what it was saying but having had a few of these experience myself, I wonder if this is not true.

As for Jung's theory of archetypes, I seem to remember that he derived it mainly from Freud's ideas, and when taking into account the symbolic nature of dreams that is associated with it, he might not be totally wrong. Still, the way he presents it by incorporating terms such as the mandala, animus/a, etc. makes the whole idea closer to philosophy than psychology...

First of all, Jung's 'collective conscious' theory is hardly worth trying to support these days, although one 'overlap' (as I would define it) that he percieved could possibly be due the lack of time (there is no flow, but as the universe is an entropy system, eveything is singular--our brains interpret it in an illusion fashion basically).

To elaborate on time may be an extra theme, but as for basics: there are very well already enough understandings of so called non linear timeless states even, any multivers theory has this in it basicaly, as many according videos and pictures clearly show, also the "flow" directions, as alreay touched by Einstein.
It goes in all directions but a linear one, to be clear about it.

One can also simply think about the presence been fed by the past and this way creating the future, which also means, the past has the future already included, like a seed has the plant included, and also the message about the time before the seed state, thus can very well leed to precognitions of a similar growth, according to new possibilities. Kind of circular or at least spiralling even in the end.

Any common marketing strategy is actually based on this.

In general it says: out of experience, and the more experience you have, the more exact are the views into the future. Analysis and then new plan, nothing new..not just brain perception at all.
And particularly today, via a comparable information system, you have another, more conscious variation of a collective consciousness. Its by far not outdated, in contrary, it may get other names, but is the very same..

If a person were to conseculatively dream of 'future' events in the precise manner and circumstances that events unfolded in their own lives and those of others around them, we could say that it was not coincidental. This is what makes the difference.

What our friend described, was exactly that, as exact as any marketing plan, could not have been more precise in this matter, according to his available informations, thus no coincidence. He is a clever and clear brain, an eagle eye, as we say.

What so many people forget to take in mind, is that while asleep, many of the inhibitory systems are inactive, yet, the brain is still at work. Now that brain state, is primarily no greater nor less than the actual brain state; no one is going to 'expand' consciousness. For that reason, to touch on an idea which Chi65 is trying to present, the creative brain will be just as creative, the non-creative brain will be just as non-creative, the impaired brain will be just as impared--there will be no differences other than that certain inhibitory systems will be inactive.

What is inactive is mostly the conscious "control" system.
It is not consciousness, that expands, as I already said, its the unconsciousness that is freed from the walls of this conscious state, which deals with whats the actual possibility, while the other side deals with everything, thus often chooses what is in general possible, but in the end the brain can sum both up like a check of free flowing ideas and their possible best realisation and gives thus a clear picture in morning dreams as "results", or the according inspiration to paint this picture (as for artists), that you already see with your "inner eye" or dream, which you can make true and real. Also nothing new. . .

It might be good dreamer, to not try to start any new questions here in this thread. You might want to open a new one though.

Why, please? We are in the middle of the theme.

. . .that our brains were much more powerful than any CPU and potentially able to input data from our daily experience and statistically sort out the most likely outcome

Exactly, thats what I also tried to explain, and is very well scientifically correct, as I know from a scientific forum

I would find it hard to believe that we could say the human brain is more 'powerful' than any CPU; the primary reason for that being, that it's actually turns out that it's rather hard to make comparisons--the animal brain is much more flexible and reflexive than a computer.

It is very obvious that the experience Pachipro goes through every night when he sleeps is not at all what you are trying to ascribe to him, Chi65 san. In paying closer attention to the details of what is written, it should be easy enough to see. I have never heard of anyone who has consecutive dreams which exactly mirror the unfolding of events through 'time.' (and let's not spend time on that...)

Thanks for you understanding dreamer. It is important to stay on topic in threads. Please do keep that in mind Chi65 san.

There is no reason to read too much into the matter of 'dreams telling you something,' and that is what a lot of people do. There will always be those unusual circumstances where perception is made, but we cannot determine how such is.

If some cannot relate to or see this, for example if they have not heard about certain things, that does not mean that others have not either.
In fact, there are not only many reports, in consideration and under observation of researchers as well, but also own exact experiences, written down and painted even, by which I know exactly (and it is easy to see for me), what he is talking about. I am standing up for every word, plus can send you further on accordingly, if you so wish.

I have just cooperated with a scientist, who wrote a book, which touches parts of this, btw. It also includes cites from P. Gabriel, who happily contributed. It will be out soon, this year, with latest informations.

The synnies are also very much into reporting and documenting the very same thing, we also relate this to dream experiences and seeing things before. Even this is directly related.
Also Ramachandran talks about. I suggest, you try to read some books from him.

And power in this case does not necessarily mean active or material power, the way I and many understand it in this context. And thats exactly the same with old asian experiences too. We will have an according lecture in a Japan-center here next by a very famous scientist. It is about the power of emptiness. . . (which also means receptiveness. . .)

Last edited:
Maybe this example may also help a bit to understand the functions and forsight of dreams:

We were on a camping ground in north Italy, like several years, and some dutch people had a waterski equipment. they came regularly, from which we knew them and how the offered us to try it out. I was very unsure, if I could do it again like the year before, but to my surprise had a wonderfull dream about it. I was particularly afraid of the start, which is a tricky thing about balance and when to use active power to get up against the water. But in my dream I lived through every detail and managed, I even remembered the smell of the water.
This made me very sure on the next day, and it happened exactly as dreamt.
A dream can be, and often is, like an exercise for survival for beings. Also animals dream, as we know, often even with according movements, which can also happen with humans.
Thus it is very important to watch it, and in some lucid dreams (this was one, btw, because I knew, that I was "only" dreaming) you can even try some situations out.
Pure training thus.
For better understanding, a lucid dream means a dream in which you become or are aware of being in a dream only. But these dreams can be remembered particularly well, again, they are often morning dreams, often a kind of result of the nightwork before.
And they can be very exact too.

Some may have fun reading this book:

Einstein's dreams
Einstein's Dreams - Wikipedia

This may be additionally interesting, as for what those dreams have been.

From a The Elegant Universe site, wellknown amongst scientists

NOVA Online | Teachers | Program Overview | Elegant Universe, The: Einstein's Dream | PBS

At present I do not have the according links about Einstein's own reports about his dreams (real dreams, not just daydreams), because it might take some time to find them. But it is in general very well known, that he often had according ones, where he found a solution, and he was not shy talking about this.

NOVA Online | Teachers | Program Overview | Elegant Universe, The: Einstein's Dream | PBS

Back
Top Bottom