What's new

Did you like to write composition when you were in school?

22 Jan 2005
My boss' daughter(5th grade in elementary school) searched composition on internet this afternoon, she has done this for many times, I asked her: does anyone in your class enjoy writing? She answered:no. Most children here hate writing, so I wonder if other countries' childern felt that writing is a painful thing? What about your own exprience when you were a child?

Well, at my school whenever a teacher would give us a writing assignment, especially if it were a creative writing assignmet, most of the kids seemed enthusiastic. I don't know about other schools, though. :?

writing about something you're not interested in is a pain in the butt...U need to do a lot of research for starters...and it's time absorbing ☝

I always enjoyed it (a lot!) but many of the kids in my class weren't as thrilled about it.

We Would Get Graded Twice.

I would get an A or B for content, then have it wiped out by an "E" for spelling and grammer. To this day, I avoid writing!

Frank

😊

When I was younger, I had more imagination, so writing was one of my favorite things to do. I used to write stories all the time.
I had a hard time putting words down for 'Haiku'(17-syllable poem) or 'Tanka'(31-syllable poem), though.
I had to make those when I was 6th grade, and it took me forever. They can't really expect a little kid to follow rules like that! :confused:

Ma Cherie said:
Well, at my school whenever a teacher would give us a writing assignment, especially if it were a creative writing assignmet, most of the kids seemed enthusiastic. I don't know about other schools, though. :?
Could you tell me more about your "creative writing assignmet"?
Here the title of writing is usually given by the teacher. For example, the little girl's assignment was to write a composition about "cloud". The little girl copied many times before and her teacher never find that, I suspected it.

It was when I was in the second grade and my teacher gave us writing assignment about a lady bug. I remember my story a little bit. My lady bug had a car. :p But the best creavtive writing I was given was the one given to me in high school, I liked it because we got to write about what we wanted. I wrote a story called "Fairy Sanctuary." It was a fairly decent story. :p

Did you write a lot stories in school? As I know children here usually write about things, animals, people or events around them. When in summer vacation, they always need to write more, my niece always felt headache for that.
By the way, what's "lady bug"?

RockLee said:
writing about something you're not interested in is a pain in the butt.
That is the greatest torture and insult to the person. I don't think it is right to force school kids about one or one of several fixed topics. And that is why I hated, I mean absolutely hated those wiriting assignments and "writing contests." The topics are so void of character and imagination that only morons of like minds to the testers would write typical mushy heart warming stories fit for trashy publications. I once wanted to write about a snitch's vile deeds, but was discouraged being told, "O, you're supposed to write about pretty, beautiful, wonderful things. Not about the ugly, the dark, and the saddening." Writing in my country used to be that bad. At least contentwise, censorship kills creativity. Why not have kids copy the text book for god's sake! I'm glad my kids are having more freedom in their writing, but the writing competitions have changed little if any! :eek:
Uncle Frank said:
I would get an A or B for content, then have it wiped out by an "E" for spelling and grammer.
I think your writing is excellent both in content, grmmar, spelling, and style. Whoever was your grammar teacher, shame on him/her! My college writing tutors were nazi's, and I held on to their slackless criticism only because I was allowed to write on my own thesis. But every time, I would sweat when I got graded !! I still do when I think about it 😊 !! 😌

I liked writing at school. Once wrote a story in an English lesson instead of taking the test the teacher had set. I got away with it as well because the teacher enjoyed the story. Was told one of my compositions was morbid, I was 9. Didn't even know what morbid meant had to look it up. Teachers can be real $hits sometimes.

quiet sunshine said:
Did you write a lot stories in school? As I know children here usually write about things, animals, people or events around them. When in summer vacation, they always need to write more, my niece always felt headache for that.
By the way, what's "lady bug"?

I wouldn't say that I wrote a lot of stories in school, but yes we did write about things that happened around us. A lady bug is in insect. :p But I have admit, I love writing and I love literature. 😄

Compositions

I enjoyed writing English compositions in Primary school, especially in the middle grades. Scored really high in them :p . At one time then, I could mentally (& quickly) compose essays on the spot :) .

I have always enjoyed writing. When I was in school, I especially liked answering essay questions on tests. I always thought that if I didn't actually know the answer, that I at least had a chance to get a few points for putting forth the effort to create a plausible sounding answer. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't, but at least I never had to turn in a test leaving an essay question unanswered.

Heh! I had enough trouble just spelling composition, much less doing the darn things! :D

But seriously, folks, despite how much I groused and complained about doing compositions and essays, I often did quite well, getting B's for my work, which surprised even me!
:)

Yes, very much so. I still write. I keep a journal, write novels, write poetry, and do anything that will advance my skills as a writer.

As I stated in another thread, I long to become an author. An author is one who gets paid for writing. Although I would like to be wealthy, money is more of a matter of keeping score at this point in my life.

lexico said:
"O, you're supposed to write about pretty, beautiful, wonderful things. Not about the ugly, the dark, and the saddening."
Hehe, I guess reading students' compositions may be a pain for those teachers too, similar contents or even similar sentences, words...
What I hated most was that the teacher usually had a requirement about the words' number of a composition, and often I wrote shortly so I had to count the words then added some useless words... 😌
Did your teacher fix the number of words of a composition?

Back
Top Bottom