What's new

Bible Japanese Website

Gerald,

Looks like a very well designed and content rich site. I look forward to spending time on it. Also, by the way, do you know offhand of any searchable online Japanese bibles or pages that would have a listing of well-known or common passages ? In particular I'm looking for the 10 Commandments to compare with an audio version.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the reply. I hope it's useful and if you have any comments or see anything that's not correct in the grammar examples please let me know. I'm doing for my own study purposes as well and definitely am still in the learning process.

There is an online searchable Japanese Bible at ebible You can do word searches, but I don't think you can look up by well-known or common passages. It has three Japanese Bible translations, and the Ten Commandments are in Exodus Chapter 20. You can go to that Chapter and compare the three translations and see which one you have on audio.

Gerald

Inuyasha wrote: "Are there Japanese people that believe in Jesus and God?"

Yes there are, but the percentage is very small from what I've read with Christians making up less than 1% of the population. A Japanese pastor I know was here in the US for about 7-8 years and recently went back to Japan. At a party several days before he left he mentioned to me that when he and his wife return to Japan to take over pastoring a church his father led, the church membership would double!

Gerald

i already read the bible in both swedish and danish!.. i'll be damned if i'm going through that torment again in japanese... no wait.. i probably wouldn't be damned :D

good link for those that believe in the christian god and want to learn jappernees tho ^^ 👍

Most Japanese I know are just grounded in a completely different mentality and sensibility than Christianity can incorporate. The guy I asked to read the Ten Commandments for instance didn't have a lot of patience with such high-flown, idealistic language and summed that up with a totally nonchalant comment afterwards to the effect that 'Since the beginning of time there has always been murder, adultery and robbery. It's simply the natural and expected way.' No doubt many Christians and Americans feel the same, it just isn't usually expressed quite as bluntly....

it's the *atheist* answer for everything ;)

the christian answer for everything is "god works in mysterious ways"... that sentence makes me want to kill >_<

I just don't think they're able to understand the reasons behind absolute rules like that. Probably subconsciously understanding 'There are times when theft, murder, adultery etc become necessary or are at least benign, when you shouldn't honor your father & mother for what they've done, when you can do good work on the Sabbath.'
And it's very difficult to answer sensibly.

kirei_na_me said:
Heh, Elizabeth..."it's natural"... :p

That's the answer for everything, isn't it?;)
And the word here is 当たり前(P); 当り前(P) 【あたりまえ】 (adj-na,adj-no,n) usual; common; ordinary; natural; reasonable; obvious.

Ask Moto sometime when you have a chance which he prefers, that or shizen. :p

Well, this opened a can of worms, as usual. I asked him which one he preferred, and he gave me the second most popular answer(only after "it's natural"), "it depends on the situation". He then proceeded to give me a lecture on when you use "atarimae" and "shizen" and then a couple of others. It came down to something like, "If someone gives you something, and you say thank you, the act of saying 'thank you' is 'atarimae'. If you are hungry and want to eat, that's 'shizen'." (or something like that?) We eventually wound up back at "shizen"...

I'm tired now. :p

That's some pretty scary stuff. :cautious: Better not ask which one he thinks murder, adultery and theft fall under. Or was that toozen ? I'm starting to think maybe I'm associating with the wrong people sometimes....:p

You can do word searches, but I don't think you can look up by well-known or common passages. It has three Japanese Bible translations, and the Ten Commandments are in Exodus Chapter 20. You can go to that Chapter and compare the three translations and see which one you have on audio.

Thanks for these leads and recommendations, Gerald. As it happens, my copy was actually taken from the New World Version used by Jehovah's Witnesses (エホバの証人の新世界訳聖書). So most of the wording and phraseology of the texts will differ of course (even between Exodus and Duetoronomy), but at least I think I was able to fill in the major blank spots with those three. 👍

Back
Top Bottom