Are you proud of your nationality ?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Not really (Neutral)

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Definetly not

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
If shame by association is the opposite of pride by association, I can easily conjure up 'counterfactual' scenarios that I would have been ashamed to have been born into. There are obviously countries, communities, families that are so undesirable, immoral, degenerate, beyond the pale etc and that have the potential to torment a person and warp their identity so badly, regardless of their individual gifts and ability to rise above terrible material circumstances, that the struggle of dealing with that 'baggage' then practically defines the individual their entire life.

Which is more or less how I reason from humiliation at one's roots back to national pride. One is nothing more than the flip side of the other. Although it probably all has much more to do with the positive or negative perceptions of outsiders than anything inherent to the situation itself...

Well, my passport nationality is 'British', and I'm not proud to be 'British'... I'm not ashamed of it either... it's just what it says on my passport... but I don't feel like it's really 'me'... in some ways I feel like a cultural outsider here, and there are other countries in my heritage that I feel 'closer' to in some ways... but in any case, 'British' is just an administrative term... in terms of country it's English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh :p ... I think people are more likely to feel 'proud' of being one of those than 'British'...

I don't see anything to be ashamed of in being of British nationality because it's not as if the people of a country have any say or agree with anything their government does :eek: so I don't feel like I get in any way 'blamed' for the sh!t!y governance :cautious: ...

There are some ways in which I feel 'proud of England' you could say, not really associated with my nationality, but I would rather say, 'things which I like about England' (diverse scenaries within a small place, proximity of the ocean, interesting skyscapes and others...) and other 'things I dislike about England' (some of laws and regulations, weather, public transport, expense etc...), but these things are just facts to me... they don't make me proud/not proud to be British... 😌

I would say I'm a total neutral. Umm, as maybe befits my Swiss part of heritage :D

I wonder what "being proud of one's nationality" could mean...?

I like Japan very much as the place (country) and the culture where I was born - I grew up in it, I'm so accustomed to it, and when I'm away from it, I miss it. (And this is only my feeling; there's no reason one has to love the place or culture one was born into.)

But for me being Japanese is not something to be proud of, I did not choose it, butI happen to have been born in Japan and to be Japanese citizen.
It is nothing to be proud of or ashamed of.

I wonder if pride in a person's nationality has to be learned? If a child hears from adults and others that they are proud to be whatever nationality they are, the child would grow up saying the same thing. But it does seem to me that pride in nationality is a non-issue. People are too busy living their lives daily to be feeling proud to be whatever their nationality is.

I wonder if pride in a person's nationality has to be learned? If a child hears from adults and others that they are proud to be whatever nationality they are, the child would grow up saying the same thing.
Perhaps. Some of those posting here are prime examples.☝

Back
Top Bottom