What's new

Are ザズゼゾ pronounced differently with loanwords as compared with original Japanese words?

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
Is there any chance that the 濁音 ザズゼゾ could be pronounced differently when they are in 外来語? It seems to me that when any of these kana's is part of the loanword from the English language they are often read more like the English sound rather than what I have expected as in the Japanese language. I can't say anything about those derived from other foreign language though. Perhaps the position of the kana in the word has some bearing on the pronunciation. So far I haven't heard of any difference between じ and ジ with non-loanwords and loanwords.

For example:
ざ: 銀座 雑誌 諺
ザ: ブレザー ザ(the)
ぜ:ぜひ 大勢 風邪 午前 自然
ゼ:ガゼ
ず: ずっと 図示
ズ:メンズ キッズ サイズ コミカライ ズーム
ぞ: 存知 象
ゾ: ゾーン ゾンビ

There is no difference in the pronunciations of ザジズゼゾ between loanwords and Japanese or Chinese origin words. They are completely the same.

Chances are it's just your brain correcting anomalies you're hearing. Your perception of what you hear is warped by things like what you see and past experience, so if you've grown up all your life speaking English and you hear something that comes from English but sounds significantly different, your brain would kind of warp the way it sounds to you so it closer matches your expectations. Kind of like those audiovisual illusions you see.

Could it be people with localised accent saying them differently, something like 関西弁 and 関東弁? Perhaps I heard them from English-speaking people who spoke with an accent.

Reference: FREE Japanese Word of the Day Widget - JapanesePod101
I understand that 風邪 is not a loanword. I just want to verify the pronunciation of the kana ぜ in this case.
Could someone please tell me if the word 風邪 on the page pronounced correctly, especially the sound of ぜ?
It sounds to me more like the sound of the second syllable of the anglicized French word "cassette" without the 't' sound.
Perhaps my hearing is playing up.

By the way, should I describe 風邪 as one word or two words in English language?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me if the word 風邪 on the page pronounced correctly, especially the sound of ぜ?
All sounds perfectly natural.

By the way, should I describe 風邪 as one word or two words in English language?
That's one word. The two separated 風 and 邪 completely lose the meaning of かぜ. The same goes to two hiragana か and ぜ.

If you have that question because of the two kanji 風邪, you need to realize that kanji has nothing to do with the number of words. 風邪 is a single word whether it's written in any letters or characters, 感冒, かぜ, カゼ or kaze. "Cold" is a single word in English even with four letters, and "co" and "ld" lose the meaning of "cold", aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom