What's new

70s, 80s and Early 90s J-pop Singers (Matsuda Seiko, Nakamori Akina, etc.)

doinkies

ガイジン娘。
21 Dec 2005
Anyone here also enjoy listening to J-pop from the 70s, 80s and early 90s? I've acquired quite a bit of J-music from this era (mainly of female artists) and I originally got interested in older J-pop thanks to W's covers of various 70s and 80s songs on their debut album. :) doinkies knows that there are a couple fans of older artists here, so here's a place to talk about them, your favorite songs from them, maybe offer downloads if there's interest...etc. Enjoy!

Hey どいんきぃず - Always enjoyed your posts over at JPopMusic. Sad that the 70s/80s thread died there but it wasn't all that surprising. I think fans like us are in the minority. Most JPop fans now are rather young and only recently got into JPop within the last 10+ years and few if any were even born at around the time these songs were popular.

I think it's rare that you'll encounter guys like yourself, Kosuke_Asami, Higemania and others who are younger guys but fans of the older music. I for one am a kid from the 80s so I remember listening to these songs as a young teen and so there's some nostalgic sentimentality for me when listening to artists like Oginome Yoko, Saito Yuki, Wink, Kikuchi Momoko and Nakayama Miho etc.

That's one reason why that particular thread died is that aside from the novelty of listening to these songs, no one really cared about the artists or their history and background.

I definitely want to talk with others about 70s and 80s idols but unfortunately the people online that I've met have only very specific likes (Pink Lady, Onyanko Club, Nakamori Akina, Matsuda Seiko) but don't really like any of the other artists of the period especially New Music/non-idols like Anri, Anzenchitai, Kome Kome Club, Boowy, Kikawa Koji, Takeuchi Maria or Tanimura Shinji. The Enka/Kayou-kyoku guys have it even worse as their foreign fans are even smaller and older and again its only for certain kashuu like Misora Hibari, Mori Masako, Teresa Teng, Itsuki Hiroshi etc.

Hopefully there are some fans here but seeing that no one else has responded since the first posting two years ago, I'm not hopeful. Maybe bumping this up will get some activity.

I was a child of the late 70's and the 80's, so all you kids out there, if you have any questions about the pop music from those decades, ask the geezer who knows!!

BTW, MY favorites were Iyo Matsumoto, Yumi Morio, Seiko Matsuda, Kyoko Koizumi, Yu Hayami and those wacky alien trio, Starboh.

:sing:

Well I am certainly a fan as I lived in Japan throughout the 70's and 80's and have amassed over 42 hrs of music from that era not including the 100 or so vinyl 45's that I have yet to put into digital form yet.

My music ranges from rock like Sawada Kenji, Downtown Boggie Woogie Band, Southern All Stars, Alice, etc. to the idols like Matsuda Seiko, Yamaguchi Momoe, Candies, Ken Naoko, etc and many pop stars along with Enka/Pop singers like Theresa Teng, Harumi Miyako, Wada Akiko, Sen Masao, Tanimura Shinji, etc. and could forget the conveyor belt idols that were cranked out on what seemed like a monthly basis?

It certainly was a great era for me anyway, and it's nice to see younger people enjoying music from back then as it never seems to get old.

My music ranges from rock like Sawada Kenji, Downtown Boggie Woogie Band, Southern All Stars, Alice, etc. to the idols like Matsuda Seiko, Yamaguchi Momoe, Candies, Ken Naoko, etc...

Ahhhh It's so good to know someone appreciates the music from that era (and in your case, Pachipro, was actually there to experience it first hand).

Kenji Sawada wasa truly unique singer. I still listen to many of his songs from back then. He had an air of "Swagger" that was rare in the mainstream Kayokyoku. Most notably, no matter how sophisticated, and in some of his songs, experimental he got in his material, he kept it all in the Kayokyoku idiom.

You also mention the conveyer-belt pop idol singers. Well, I was one of those kids who ate it all up! In my case, though, I was more into the craftsmanship of the songwriters/arrangers than the singers (if you could call them that). These "singers" released 4 singles a year and we would anticipate each release with much excitement. The majority of their songs were written by a handful of songwriters. These pros handled everything from idol pop to enka. They would change their style for each singer and his/her genre. A lot of times they borrowed, and sometimes stole ideas from the western pop music and it was a lot of fun to listen to them and admire their craft.

don't forget naomi chiaki :)
Tanimura Shinji's subaru is my all time fav... and he can sing pretty damn good at his current age.
i love Matsuda Seiko, but my favorite song from her came in 1996. :S so maybe not early 90s.

Wew... is great to find a forum about Japan interests...

Im a big fan of the old Jpop, i still listen since the 80s to Akina Nakamori (my fave!!) Seiko Matsuda, Onyanko Club, Naoko Kawai, Coco, Wink, etc!!
As Doinkies said, was W who covered some songs today, thats why i listen to actual jpop like Morning Musume and others because they makes me remember my old days!

Pachipro is right too... Is really great to see that young people today are excited to listen that music (in a forum i showed my favorite music to ppl around 13-17 years and they likes them!)

How i wish i could find dvds or something from the net.. its really hard to find now (even i still have some lps, kcts and cds from that time)

80s Jpop Rulz!!!

Bubble Era

my wife likes kazumasa oda :)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazumasa_Oda

One of the best songs from the 90s by Oda Kazumasa.

[youtube]nVmj9BU8O0g&feature=related[/youtube]

And the drama is finally available on dvd--I saw it at Tsutaya. So I plan to get reacquainted with Rika, Kanchi, Mikamikun, and Sekiguchi (I hate Sekiguchi--she was so wishy washy :eek:) soon. Bubble-jidai!!!

What is the name of this song, please!

Does anyone know the name of this song? I'd like to hear a longer version even if it's not by Sakurai Sachiko, although I think she has an awesome voice (this is from the drama Koukou Kyoushi '93).

[youtube]bwSKJXbFM28&feature=related[/youtube]

The original is by Nakamura Ayumi. Title is "Tsubasa no oreta Angel."

Last edited by a moderator:
Waaa! Arigatou epigene-san! Sugoi ii kyoku desu ne. :)

And Ayumi Nakamura's early Modonna style outfit adds more meaning to the song, "Broken Wing Angel."

I like both versions. Now I know why Sachiko's clip in the karaoke room with her friend was a bit longish; it fits the drama.

[Tokorode, Chinese dice=harmonica? Nande?:?]

karaoke

I was going to post this in the "Must know songs for karaoke" but I think that might be a little mean 😊.

So I'll post it here.

Here's a couple of old classics that everyone knows. (If you can sing it, you'll sound like you've been in Japan since the 80's.) Ray Charles even did a cover of this first song (in English, of course - Ellie My Love).

Southern All Stars - Itoshi no Eri

The other is by Chage and Aska's (maybe Japan's Hall & Oates?)

Say Yes (Karaoke version - instrumental w/lyrics)

This is how it's supposed to sound (Chage and Aska PV)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to see that these eras of great Japanese music are not being looked over in favor of more popular artists. I don't think I'll mention any artists that haven't been mentioned already, but Anzenchitai, Iwasaki Yoshimi, Oda Kazumasa, Inoue Yousui, Tokunaga Hideaki, and Arai Yumi are some I listen to often.

80s Jpop fans definitely seem like in the minority as I haven't really met that many fans on the web. You'd think there would be more baby boomer and Generation-X'ers outside of Japan who like listening to artists like Nakayama Miho, Nakamori Akina, Oginome Yoko, Wink, Moritaka Chisato, Saito Yuki, Onyanko Club, Anzenchitai, etc.

I don't mean to toot my own horn but I ended up having to set up my own Live365 station just to fill the void online: http://www.live365.com/stations/jmaruyama?site=live365

While I try to keep it all 80s I do find that I need to include some current hits to compete with other stations (especially powerhouse Jpop station "J1").

80s Jpop fans definitely seem like in the minority as I haven't really met that many fans on the web. You'd think there would be more baby boomer and Generation-X'ers outside of Japan who like listening to artists like Nakayama Miho, Nakamori Akina, Oginome Yoko, Wink, Moritaka Chisato, Saito Yuki, Onyanko Club, Anzenchitai, etc.
I don't mean to toot my own horn but I ended up having to set up my own Live365 station just to fill the void online: http://www.live365.com/stations/jmaruyama?site=live365
While I try to keep it all 80s I do find that I need to include some current hits to compete with other stations (especially powerhouse Jpop station "J1").
Wow~! That's great!!

I wish all of you guys in this thread join me in my Paltalk music chatroom. The room needs some support. (Translation: I need pals who share my interest.) :D
Yougaku Hougaku Oldies
JFYI, it's open only when "I have some time" -- meaning sporadically on Friday evenings or anytime during the weekend. 😌

Oh i love vintage/80's jpop and know loads of singers- too many to post really! I will post a singer & single each;

70's jpop
Candies - Heart no Ace ga detekonai

Candies - Tosisita no otokonoko;

Pink Lady - SOS;

Pepper Keibu;

Wanted;

Pink Lady medley;

2004 version of the song (believe it or not this is them singing almost 30years on- they look so good for their age! In fact they re-released all their biggest hits like this ^_^ );

1980's jpop;

Koi no Vacance" by Be-2;

"Stand up" T-BACKS;

Otenki Onesan - weather report girl theme/Let's do rain のち P;

"Lambada" Ishii Akemi;
- YouTube

Wink - Sabishii Nettaigyo (Lonely tropical fish) 1989, original PV;
Wink - Sabishii Nettaigyo (1989) - 淋しい熱帯魚 - High Quality

Akina Nakamori - A southern wind;
- YouTube

Yu Hayami - 夏色のナンシー (1983);
- YouTube

Eriko Tamura - Domino;
- YouTube

Dee-Dee - You've got a name;
- YouTube

Seiko Matsuda - Seiko Matsuda - Precious Heart 1989 (She's a total legend! She's released countless singles, you should check her out!);
- YouTube

Minako Honda - Sosotte (Seduce me) 1986;
- YouTube

Princess Princess - DIAMONDS (i think 1988), orginal PV;
- YouTube

v^.^v !

Early 90's jpop
CoCo - Hanbun Fushigi (1990)
- YouTube
CoCo- 「メビウスの恋人」;
- YouTube

A really early Ayumi Hamsaki song (this was before she made it big and became a well-known name);
Ayumi Hamasaki - Hold on Me;
Ayumi Hamasaki - Hold on Me
(^I believe this a cover of an earlier 80's song)

Sakurakko Club- DO-Shite 1993;
- YouTube

Ribbon- Silent Summer, 1991;
- YouTube!
Ribbon - Sensational Wind, 1992;
- YouTube

Quair - Eyes full of summer, 1991;
- YouTube

hitomi - CANDY GIRL, 1995;
hitomi - CANDY GIRL

SPEED - Body & Soul (Legendary group!!) 1996;
- YouTube

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm new here. I was always a fan of Jap music though I usually don't know their titles. I was browsing this thread when I stumble upon Chiaki Naomi. She's really good at her craft! I heard one of her live song, I'm not sure of the title but, is it "neeannta"?

Anyways, hope to learn from you guys more of the genre. Keep it up!

I loved all of the singres and groups mentioned. Of course my favorate was Ann Lewis as I worked with her father and on many occasions got to hear her first hand. She was even better live than on record. What a voice.

Great thread everyone - I've been meaning to look more into Japanese Music generally (especially 1980s considering that's my favourite era for songs in the west) and I'm loving some of the suggestions!

どもありがとうございます!★ :)

I think any guy from that era liked Pink Lady. They sang good and were so beautiful. So many of those names bring me back in time. Of course my my favorite will always be Ann Lewis. Loved Momoe Yamaguchi too.

It's great to hear that other people enjoy older Japanese pop as much as myself. I look forward to going all the links shared in this thread.

Previously, to find older J-pop idols, I simply followed the writing credits of former YMO members. Haruomi Hosono had a particularly strong involvement with the emerging 'Techno Kayo' scene during the 1980s.

Here's a quick article I wrote about former 80s J-idol Chiemi Manabe, who was supported by Hosono on her debut album release.

ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ

What is the name of this song, please!

Does anyone know the name of this song? I'd like to hear a longer version even if it's not by Sakurai Sachiko, although I think she has an awesome voice (this is from the drama Koukou Kyoushi '93).

[youtube]bwSKJXbFM28&feature=related[/youtube]
Is it this?
This is by Doji Morita, "Bokutatchi no Shippai".

Back
Top Bottom