What's new

Help 16 arhat, who painted this curious scroll

Ger

Sempai
17 Jan 2018
Please see this curious scroll depicting the 16 arhat.
Would it be possible to find the artist? What does the text say?
In the first picture:
lid interior text + scroll text + seal at the bottom + lid exterior text.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• x790419391-01 rol 16 arhat +box+text+seal.jpg
    x790419391-01 rol 16 arhat +box+text+seal.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 94
  • SAM_6185++.jpg
    SAM_6185++.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 100
Would it be possible for you to tell which part is in Japanese and maybe give the characters you do recognize? Or maybe even Chinese characters you recognize? Then I could try with google using their context to fill in missing parts. Sometimes known quotes or poems are found that way.
[by the way, Buntaro - this is only about the scroll displayed here]

Last edited:
Far right (outside of box)
十六羅漢之図條幅
16 Arhats, hanging scroll

The red seals will contain the artist's name, but I can only pick out 榮 and 關 (or, in the simplified forms 栄 and 関).

The writing on the scroll doesn't help me, even though its quite legible
書畵與琴棊同牀
鮮笑眉
It's a distinct group of kanji - and I would expect something to pop up in a search, but I'm getting no hits of any relevance. The top line might be a dedication from the artist to another artist? I have no clue as to the bottom three (unless they are the art name of the person to whom the picture is dedicated, but already there are too many suppositions to say this with any confidence).
After that, the writing repeats what is written on the inside of the lid.
I think the first two of the lid are 甲子 which is the fist year of the sexegenary (chinese zodiac) cycle. In this case it would probably refer to the year 1984, but 1924 is also a possibility.
That's all I got.

Far right (outside of box)
十六羅漢之図條幅
16 Arhats, hanging scroll

The red seals will contain the artist's name, but I can only pick out 榮 and 關 (or, in the simplified forms 栄 and 関).

The writing on the scroll doesn't help me, even though its quite legible
書畵與琴棊同牀
鮮笑眉
It's a distinct group of kanji - and I would expect something to pop up in a search, but I'm getting no hits of any relevance. The top line might be a dedication from the artist to another artist? I have no clue as to the bottom three (unless they are the art name of the person to whom the picture is dedicated, but already there are too many suppositions to say this with any confidence).
After that, the writing repeats what is written on the inside of the lid.
I think the first two of the lid are 甲子 which is the fist year of the sexegenary (chinese zodiac) cycle. In this case it would probably refer to the year 1984, but 1924 is also a possibility.
That's all I got.
Thanks a lot.

It looks to me like the text 書畵與琴棊同牀 / 鮮笑眉 simply says what is happening.
琴棋書畫, kinkishoga, stands for the four arts, music, go, writing, painting. 與 means to participate in. 同牀 is sharing the floor/stage. The second line 鮮笑眉 has vivid, laugh, eyebrow. It might point to the way the 16 arhat are represented: as funny cartoon characters raising the eyebrow?

Remains the mysterie of the painter. The scroll looks quite new to me so 1984 is more likely the date.

Back
Top Bottom