What's new

角から vs 交差点から

4 Apr 2014
I was confused by an explanatory picture in a textbook today. It looks like this
c745ea3ade311f9f.jpg

My questions are:
1) Is 角から3軒目 the same as 交差点から4軒目?
2) If the assumption above is correct, then how does one call a 交差点から1軒目 using 角?

It's the same house either way. Third from the corner or third from the intersection.

The explanatory note on the right should clarify it.

Then it was the picture as a whole that confused me. I imagined the white birdie believing his loved one is in the third house from the intersection, and also misread "入れて" as "除いて".

By the way, how do i say "skipping/not counting''? 角の家を除いて or perhaps 角の家を抜かして?

A closer look at the picture instead of just going by your question reveals that the black bird is correcting the white bird's mistaken counting method. The white bird means 4軒目 but isn't counting the first house.

To exempt something: xxx を数えないで yyy or something like xxx だけを数えて yyy

I must have overthinked the picture a bit initially. The way i saw it was the white bird had been given directions to his crush's home as "角から3軒目" and he is about to pay a visit to the third house from the corner, while his more fluent friend explains that "角から3軒目" is actually the fourth house.

his more fluent friend explains that "角から3軒目" is actually the fourth house.
No, 角から3軒目 refers to the third house from the corner, thus, it's the house where the smoking black bird is in in the picture.

No, 角から3軒目 refers to the third house from the corner, thus, it's the house where the smoking black bird is in in the picture.

...and why the other black bird is pointing out the error in counting, as the sweetheart is obviously the cute white bird with a ribbon in the fourth house.

No?

I don't know about the story, but anyway the house of the white bird with a ribbon is 角から軒目, not 3軒目. I believe the correction the white bird (with no ribbon) got is that it should be 角から軒目.

35apxys.jpg

SANGENME2.jpg

Thank you Mike, thank you Toritoribe.
I guess not counting the first house on the corner wouldn't make sense in any language.

Thank you Mike, thank you Toritoribe.
I guess not counting the first house on the corner wouldn't make sense in any language.

I think we have all probably known someone who does it that way anyway.

Back
Top Bottom