What's new

箱の絵 / 恥ずかしいったらありゃしない / 上昇した / したって / を

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. On the label for a medicine for stomach problems, under the heading 効能, there is a long list of disorders which terminates with:

・・・もたれ、胃弱、(薬の箱の絵)はきけ(二日酔、 悪酔のむかつき)

I'm puzzled about 薬の箱の絵. Is it saying there is a picture related to はきけ(二日酔、悪酔のむかつき) on the box? It seems a bit odd...

2. あんなにおろおろしちゃって恥ずかしいったらありゃし ない。馬鹿みたいだったわよ。

Translation given: "Shame on you for getting so flustered. You looked ridiculous."

How does 恥ずかしいったらありゃしない work? I know ありゃしない = ありはしない, meaning "doesn't even exist", but this doesn't help me a great deal.

3. 海外への航空運賃は燃料のコストとともに上昇した。

Translation given: "The cost of flying overseas has risen with the cost of fuel."

With no further context, is there anything in the Japanese that makes the translation "has risen" more likely than "rose"?

4. どんなに勉強したって、1年や2年で外国語をものにす ることはできない。

Translation given: "However hard one may work, one cannot master a foreign language in a year or two."

Is 勉強したって = 勉強した + って (quoting)? Why って? Would どんなに勉強しても work too?

5. 彼は四年刑期のところを二年で釈放された。

Translation given: "He was let out after serving just two years of his four-year prison sentence."

What is the function of を in this sentence? Could it possibly correspond to "through" or "into" in a translation "two years through/into a four-year sentence"?

1)
It seems to say so...

2)
ありはしない = ない
~ったらありゃしない = ~ったらない

This is an idiom, meaning "there is nothing equivalent to ~ than the subject", "the subject is the most ~".

(あなたの姿が)恥ずかしいったらありゃしない
You are most shameful

(あなたを見て私が)恥ずかしいったらありゃしない
I'm most embarrassed (to see you)

3)
No. "Rose" is also possible.

4)
This "past + って" is a conditional, and yes, it can be rephrased to "~しても" or "~したとしても".

5)
~ところを・・・ is a conjunction particle, meaning "usually ~, but ...".

ところを
[接助]《形式名詞「ところ」+格助詞「を」から》通 常のやり方や予期・予定などに反することを行う意を表 す。本当なら…のに。「こちらから行くべき―来ていた だく」「縦に並べる―横にする」
ところを - goo辞書

Thanks Toritoribe.

2. Why is 恥ずかしいったらありゃし ない not 恥ずかしったらありゃし ない?

恥ずかしかったら is a conditional. The past tense is 恥ずかしかったったらありゃしない.
恥ずかしかったったら also can be used, but the present tense can imply "feel still ashamed".

Thanks, yes, I realise that 恥ずかしかったら is a conditional, but I thought that's where the たら part in the original expression came from. Are we saying that the たら in 恥ずかしいったらありゃし ない is not the same たら as the たら in 恥ずかしかったら?

It's not the same. Indeed the etymology of (っ)たら is a conditional といったら, but it doesn't have the original meaning as a conditional anymore. It's used as a kind of quoting particle.

たら
[係助]《「といったら」の音変化》名詞、活用語の終 止形・命令形に付く。多く「ったら」の形をとる。
2 ある状態・性質を取り上げ、それが普通の程度を超えて いることを表す。「つまらないっ―ないんだ」「彼の秀 才ぶりっ―抜群だ」
たら - goo辞書

Back
Top Bottom