What's new

彼に対する / まだ / 五○○ / 当たった

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. その言葉で彼に対する疑惑はさらに強まった。

Translation given: "The words confirmed him in his suspicions."

According to the translation, it is 彼 who is suspicious. I read the Japanese as meaning that someone else was suspicious of 彼. Which is correct?

2. ハリーは朝食がまだだったので、・・・・

As far as I can tell, this is supposed to mean that Harry *hadn't* had any breakfast. Where is the negative expressed? Is this a kind of idiom or abbreviation? Actually I think it is vaguely familiar to me, but I have forgotten how it works now.

3. 僕、五○○枚ぐらいもってるけど、・・・・

Is there any reason why this is written as 五○○ rather than 五百? Is there any difference in connotation?

4. ジョージが言ってたけど、鼻くそ味に違いないってのに当たっ たことがあるって

What does 当たったこと refer to in this sentence?

1)
Your interpretation is correct. The given translation is for その言葉で彼疑惑はさらに強まった. (彼の疑惑 also can mean "he is suspicious", but 彼に対する疑惑 doesn't have this ambiguity.)

2)
まだだった = まだ食べていなかった

The copula works as a kind of pro-verb here, as same as そこからだと which means そこから見ると in this thread, and まだだ always means "haven't done yet / haven't finished doing yet".

3)
五00 is rare. 500 is far common, I believe.

4)
to come across / choose / happen to be supplied

1. Yeah, "confirmed him (unspecified) of his suspicions (about him (彼))..." It seems like the English translation could have been more precise here, but maybe it's just right. Man, E->J is tricky...

By the way, I just wanted to kind of hammer out how I had read it against what I was seeing in this thread, because I got confused for a second.

4. Out of curiosity, what's happening here? ジョージが言ってたけど、鼻くそ味に違いないってのに当たっ たことがあるって
Is that saying that George had said that there are times when it's definitely the taste of boogers? Maybe I'm just missing the context, but I'm having trouble understanding what this means.

4. Out of curiosity, what's happening here? ジョージが言ってたけど、鼻くそ味に違いないってのに当たっ たことがあるって
Is that saying that George had said that there are times when it's definitely the taste of boogers? Maybe I'm just missing the context, but I'm having trouble understanding what this means.
They are talking about a fictional snack called "Every-Flavour Beans" which is a mixture of beans of different flavours. Some strange flavours have been listed, and then one of the characters says "George reckons he had a bogey-flavoured one once" ("bogey" is BrE word for "booger", as is no dout obvious).

Ah, OK. That makes total sense now. It's kind of like hitting the lottery, except in this case, the "prize" isn't so great.

1. Yeah, "confirmed him (unspecified) of his suspicions (about him (彼))..." It seems like the English translation could have been more precise here, but maybe it's just right. Man, E->J is tricky...
I guess you could be right. However, since the person referred to as "him" and "his" in the English sentence apparently cannot be the same as 彼 in the Japanese sentence, and that is the only person mentioned, I tend to think that the translation is in error. I don't know which way the error occurred though. It may be that a non-native speaker misunderstood the meaning of "confirmed him in his suspicions".

Last edited:
If it's obvious from the context that the subject is a man and 疑惑 refers to his(= the speaker's) suspicions about another man(i.e., "him" and "his" both refers to the speaker, and 彼に対する is not translated since the translator thought it's obvious and needless to say for the readers), the translation can be acceptable. I don't think it's a good translation even for the case, though.

Yes, I agree with Toritoribe. That's pretty much how I was reading it as well. I just hope that came through in my comment.

By the way, if I'm reading eeky's comment right, I agree with him too. heh

Unfortunately no further context is given (this is one of those contextless "Tatoeba" sentences), so I guess we will never know for sure...

Back
Top Bottom