What's new

大そう / させられました / したいくらい / はらって

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. ...大そういやがられました。

I believe this means "...was much hated".

Is 大そう from 大い ("much") + そう ("appears like")?

2. ジョンが生まれた時も、おなじように、はらはらさせら れました。

I believe this should mean "When John was born, there was the same excitement."

I'm unsure about させられました. My first thought was that it was する passive-causative, but wouldn't that mean "was made to do something"? I don't understand who was made to do what, and by whom.

3. ...お作法の手本にしたいくらいでした。

I understand this is something to do with being a model of good manners, but I don't get the phrase にしたいくらいでした. How does that work?

4. 落ち着きはらって歩いている

I understand this is something to do with walking calmly, but what does はらって mean? I assumed it was from 払う, but none of the meanings seem to apply.

1. ...大そういやがられました。
I believe this means "...was much hated".
Is 大そう from 大い ("much") + そう ("appears like")?
No. That's an adverb 大層[たいそう].

「大層」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

2. ジョンが生まれた時も、おなじように、はらはらさせられました。
I believe this should mean "When John was born, there was the same excitement."
I'm unsure about させられました. My first thought was that it was する passive-causative, but wouldn't that mean "was made to do something"? I don't understand who was made to do what, and by whom.
You're correct. That's the causative passive of する.

I was made to be nervous by the event(= John was born). = The event made me nervous.

3. ...お作法の手本にしたいくらいでした。
I understand this is something to do with being a model of good manners, but I don't get the phrase にしたいくらいでした. How does that work?
手本にしたい: I want to make it a model
くらい(だ): as same as/to be equivalent to~

お作法の手本にしたいくらいでした = お作法の手本にしたいくらいよかった

It's enough good to be a model.

4. 落ち着きはらって歩いている
I understand this is something to do with walking calmly, but what does はらって mean? I assumed it was from 払う, but none of the meanings seem to apply.
落ち着き払う: to be completely calm

「落ち着き払う」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

EDIT:
How many times is this happened?:)

1. Yeah, the meaning is right. But no, it comes from 大層, just like that other one did.

2. It is the causative-passive. See below:

はらはら
(副)スル
(「と」を伴っても用いる)
(1)ことの成り行きを心配して気をもむさま。
「―しながらサーカスを見る」
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn/158625/m0u/はらはら/

"I was made to feel anxious/made to worry about the outcome/way things were going" or something along those lines. I would say the speaker was made nervous by the events.

3. It's like "it's to the point that I wanted to make it a model..." That is, it was so good that they wanted to use it as a model for good manners. くらい is like ほど.

4. It's a word in its own right:

おちつきはらう ―はらふ 【落(ち)着き払う】
(動ワ五[ハ四])
ゆったりとして、少しもあわてない。全く平然としてい る。
「―・って答える」
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn/25689/m0u/おちつき/

[Edit] Didn't even realize Toritoribe had beaten me to the punch!

Back
Top Bottom