What's new

十分で読める伝記 related questions

Davide92

後輩
8 May 2017
Hi guys, it's been a while! I'm currently reading a 十分で読める伝記 book series for elementary school children, it seems to fit my level quite nicely. I'd like to use this thread to ask questions related to the stories if that's all right.

This passage is about Marie Antoinette's childhood. In this part she is leaving her home country (Austria) to go to France and marry the French prince:
マリーは家族と別れ、フランスにわたりました。

I assume the last verb is 渡る 'to cross', but why is it used here? The closest meaning I could find on goo辞書 was 海を越えて移動する, except there's no sea/ocean between Austria and France.

Thank you for your help.

For some reason I have no 'edit' button in the bottom right corner... Just wanted to add a question about a passage from the same story:

マリーが初めて皇太子に会ったわずか二日後には、ベルサイユ宮殿でりっぱな結婚式が開かれました。

マリーが初めて皇太子に会った is a relative clause modifying the noun 二日後, right? So the whole thing translates as: "Just two days after Marie had met the crown prince for the first time, a splendid wedding was held in the Palace of Versailles...right? Thanks again.

I assume the last verb is 渡る 'to cross', but why is it used here? The closest meaning I could find on goo辞書 was 海を越えて移動する, except there's no sea/ocean between Austria and France.
She crossed the border. It doesn't have to be "cross over water". You can also see this in other examples like:
  • 橋[]を渡る = cross 「a bridge [a road]
  • 横断歩道を渡る = cross at a pedestrian crossing

マリーが初めて皇太子に会った is a relative clause modifying the noun 二日後, right? So the whole thing translates as: "Just two days after Marie had met the crown prince for the first time, a splendid wedding was held in the Palace of Versailles...right? Thanks again.
Grammatically, I think it modifies わずか二日後, not just 二日後... I am not sure though. Regardless, your translation is on point.

Back
Top Bottom