What's new

募金箱にご寄付くださいますようお願いします。

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
Is the sentence above grammatically correct? I feel a bit odd that the sentence seems to finish at くださいます and then starts with ようお願いします. And I can't tell what よう does and what it means here.

I saw it as part of a sign in a public garden.
The whole sign says
私達の庭園へようこそ
私達はあなた方の温かいご支援を必要としています。
ご協力してくださる方は募金箱にご寄付くださいますようお願いします。

Thanks for your help!

So they're two separate sentences.
Are you saying that ご寄付くださいます should be or could be ご寄付くださいますように?

Nevertheless I'm still not sure what よう or ように means or grammatically does here. I try all what these could mean but couldn't quite fit in.

I don't remember if I had learnt having よう at the end of a sentence. Would you be kind enough to help me with this a bit more?

よう or ように is used for embedded order, request, advice, etc., similar to ~かどうか for embedded yes-no question. It can be used also for the contents of those things, not only what is really said.
e.g.
direct quotation
警官が「車を止めなさい」と言った。
embedded/indirect quotation (order)
警官が車を止めるよう言った。

direct quotation
彼は「道を譲ってよ」と要求した。
embedded/indirect quotation (request)
彼は道を譲るよう要求した。

direct quotation
医者は「野菜をもっと食べたほうがいいですよ」と勧めた。
embedded/indirect quotation (advice/recommendation)
医者は野菜をもっと食べるよう勧めた。

cf.
direct quotation
彼女は「彼は来たの」と聞いた。
embedded/indirect quotation (yes-no question)
彼女は彼が来たかどうか聞いた。

As for your example sentence, it's a very polite request written directly to the readers, so you can think that ご寄付くださいますよう is a very polite version of ご寄付くださるよう.
e.g.
objective description
direct quotation
社長に「この計画はお止めになってください」と申し上げた。​
embedded/indirect quotation (advice)
社長にこの計画はお止めになるよう申し上げた。​

polite advise written directly to the reader (= the president)
この計画はお止めになりますよう申し上げます。

objective description
direct quotation
彼は「道を譲ってくださいませんか」とお願いした。​
embedded/indirect quotation (request)
彼は道を譲ってくれるようお願いした。​

polite request written directly to the readers
道を譲ってくださいますようお願いいたします。

As you can see above, polite forms like なりますよう or くださいますよう are used when being written directly to the reader(s), i.e., these polite forms are not used in objective descriptions (e.g. 彼は道を譲ってくれますようお願いした。 is odd).

Thanks a lot. Indeed I had learnt ~かどうか. This is the first time I learn よう or ように for this meaning. By the way, are よう and ように interchangeable in all your example sentences?

Mostly, yes. I think just よう is more common for written-directly versions, though.

It refers to
この計画はお止めになりますよう申し上げます。
and
道を譲ってくださいますようお願いいたします。.

Thanks Toritoribe-san.
I hope typhoon Hagibis hasn't caused you and your family any trouble.
Take care and God bless!

Thank you for your kind word.:) Unlike eastern Japan, including Kanto region where many members live, western Japan didn't have serious damage. We had strong winds and relatively heavy rain on the Friday, and power supply was cut-off nearly for an hour, but that's all.

Back
Top Bottom