What's new

何奴も此奴も vs 皆?

The first, どいつもこいつも, is crude and uncouth.

I should probably add that the former is a rude way of saying "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" while the latter simply means "everyone".

If you wish to say "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" in a more genteel way, use だれもかれも instead.

I should probably add that the former is a rude way of saying "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" while the latter simply means "everyone".

If you wish to say "every Tom, Dick, and Harry" in a more genteel way, use だれもかれも instead.

Thank you for elaborating, Mike. I kind of figured it was a pretty rude way of putting it, based on the character who said it (and its context). Yes, I do still learn from my silly cartoons, haha. It's always been the main reason I've wanted to learn Japanese. I find it very useful. But as you've explained, it's a language of very complex honourifics among other things and I understand that, so I have continued my work on the basic grammar as you've advised.

I think the combination of the two methods is a very good way of going about my learning process. May I ask how you've gained your fluency?

Edit: Just realized you're from Japan from your profile. Excuse my last question. But then may I ask what you think of my current process?

Back
Top Bottom