What's new

スキットの発表の日。

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
Are the following sentences grammatically correct for the same meaning?
スキットを発表するの日。
スキットが発表するの日 。

Both are ungrammatical. It should be スキットを発表する日 (の is unnecessary).
が is wrong since スキット is not the subject of 発表する.

Those are noun phrases, not sentences, by the way.

First, please note that the sentence in your topic is different from the one in the body of your message.

The sentence in the topic is grammatically correct (to avoid the repetition of の, スキット発表の日 would also work). Both sentences in the text body are ungrammatical as written because the plain form of a verb connects directly to the noun it modifies, without の.

(correct) 読んだ本 ("the book I read")
(incorrect) 読んだの本 (ungrammatical)

As for スキットを発表する vs. スキットが発表する, only the first is correct if you mean "the day when (someone) will present a skit". The latter makes スキット the subject of the verb 発表する (i.e. "the day when skit will present [something]"), which would only make sense if "Skit" were someone's name or nickname.

(edit: Whoops! Posted at the same time as Toritoribe-san again. I'll leave my post up this time since it also contains a comment on the discrepancy between the subject line and the text body that might be educational.)

が is wrong since スキット is not the subject of 発表する
Sorry I should have known better.

It should be スキットを発表する日 (の is unnecessary)
So no の between する and noun for noun phrase.

the sentence in your topic is different from the one in the body of your message
Yes I'm exploring various possible construction and I think it would help me understand and memorize better.
The one on the title is from a textbook.

the plain form of a verb connects directly to the noun it modifies, without の
Plain form and dictionary form are different, aren't they? Because a plain form can be a conjugated form.
Do all verbs in dictionary form connect directly to the noun they modify without の or does するonly apply?
I have noticed that noun phrases usually skip の wherever possible, don't they?

So no の between する and noun for noun phrase.
Do all verbs in dictionary form connect directly to the noun they modify without の or does するonly apply?
Not only for する, but の is unnecessary for all verbs and i-adjectives.
の and な is needed for nouns and na-adjectives, respectively.

Plain form and dictionary form are different, aren't they? Because a plain form can be a conjugated form.
Past, negative, past negative, -te iru, -te aru, etc., i.e., the plain forms used at the sentence end modify nouns directly (except imperative or -te form, even though these forms are also used at the end of a sentence).

の and な is needed for nouns and na-adjectives, respectively
When you say noun phrase, does it include names of an organization, a company as well as any proper noun and so on?
I think I haven't seen any names that have の and な in them?

Past, negative, past negative, -te iru, -te aru, etc., i.e., the plain forms used at the sentence end modify nouns directly (except imperative or -te form, even though these forms are also used at the end of a sentence).
What you said there seems to agree with what I had said, am I right?

When you say noun phrase, does it include names of an organization, a company as well as any proper noun and so on?
Those are nouns.
e.g.
国際組織: noun
国際的な組織: noun phrase
国際的に活動している組織: noun clause

What you said there seems to agree with what I had said, am I right?
It seems to me that what I said is the same as jt-san's (plain form) not yours (Plain form and dictionary form are different, aren't they? Because a plain form can be a conjugated form. Do all verbs in dictionary form connect directly to the noun they modify without の ). Seems like you were saying that only dictionary form connects directly to nouns.

Thanks Toritoribe-san for your patience!
I didn't quite follow your previous explanation.

Now having read the whole thread again I think my understanding of plain form and dictionary form is correct if you agree. However dictionary form only connects directly to nouns is wrong and it has to be plain forms. I was reading only スキットを発表する日 overlooking those examples given by jt_-san. I did learn such pattern before and it was my oversight. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom