までも

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
士道は、精霊がこの世界に現れようとする際に、空間震が起こるものと認識していたのだ。
だけれど十香の話が本当ならーーこの世界に現れることすら自分の意思ではないというとこになる。
ならば空間震というのは本当に、事故のようなものではないか。
ーーその責任までも十香に、精霊に問おうというのは、いくらなんでも理不尽に過ぎる。

Hi. What is the meaning of the underlined までも here?
Thank you.

By the way, does the 問おう have the nuance of "try to do", as in "try to force the responsibilities on..." in the fourth sentence?

Last edited:
What is the meaning of the underlined までも here?
That's まで for "even" + も for "too/also".

does the 問おう have the nuance of "try to do", as in "try to force the responsibilities on..." in the fourth sentence?
See the following examples.

その成績で大学に行くというのは無理がある。
その成績で大学に行こうというのは無理がある。
その成績で大学に行こうとするのは無理がある。

自分だけ助かるというのは虫が良すぎる。
自分だけ助かろうというのは虫が良すぎる。
自分だけ助かろうとするのは虫が良すぎる。

行く and 助かる are more objective, like "speaking generally".
The volitional form versions are almost the same as the dictionary form version in meaning, but the volitional form emphasizes the subject's volition.
The difference between という and とする is literally "to say" vs. "to do". "To try to do" is ~ようとする.

Thank you.

So the meaning of the sentence is like "It's extremely unreasonable for us to even force the responsibilities on 十香"?
Close, but the outline of the sentence comes from その責任を問う

I think is more like "to hold accountable for" (責任 is often, and I think is here, more about "blame" than "responsibilities" suggests,
... although "hold responsible" works.)

The thing in question that Touka would be held accountable for would be the 空間震 ... I think knowing that is why you included the earlier context?

So the original would be like,
"To go so far as to hold Touka responsible for that (=空間震) would be, however you look at it, far too irresponsible."

(2) has an example of 責任を問う as,

• 事故の責任を問われて社長は辞職した
  • 「Called to account [Held responsible] for the accident, the president resigned

Last edited:
I mean, that's just rearranging the English for the same sentiment with those words, but you can say,

"To also hold Touka responsible for even that would be, however you look at it, far too irresponsible."

(although that has 'even' modifying just 'that', rather than the whole act 'hold responsible for that' which
is technically different, but in practice amounts to the same thing in this case.)

Or if you had an explicit actor,

"If you also were to even hold Touka responsible for that, it would be, however you look at it, far too irresponsible."

(Not that you can't technically say "To also even hold Touka responsible for that...", but it sounds awkward to me.
It is sometimes said though.)

Last edited:
The one who thought that 精霊 was responsible for 空間震 is 士道 or the team/group who are fighting with 精霊. Thus, the subject of 問おう is he/them.

Back
Top Bottom