まさ / なれ / くらいなら

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 「どうしたのこうしたのって、やつは死んでまさ、さし 殺されて。」

What is まさ?

2. チェッコは、えい、どうともなれとばかり、両腕をなげ 出してから、はいってゆきました。

What does どうともなれとばかり mean, and how is the meaning obtained?

3. 「あそこへはいるくらいなら、首でもつりまさ。」とス ターキーが、なおもがんこに答えると、水夫一度の賛成の声がし ました。
「みんなで、おれに反抗する気か?」フックはたずねま した。

a) Is くらいなら = くらい・なら, in the sense that "if (I have to do) something as unpleasant as あそこへはいる (then I'd rather be hanged / be hanged instead)"? The difficulty I have with this explanation is that I don't see where any sense of "rather" or "instead" is coming from.

b) By analogy with a similar question the other day, could つりまさ mean つりますよ/ぞ?

c) Does 首でもつりまさ mean 首でつりまさ, with も added to show this is an extreme case? (Sorry about yet more simple questions about も; it is a word I have lots of difficulty with.)

d) Does 一度 mean that they all spoke at once?

e) What is the purpose of で in みんなで? Does it convey the idea that they were all acting together?

f) Does 気 refer to the intentions of the 水夫?

1)
a dialect of ますよ

He uses a "rough" (downtown-like) dialect.

2)
どうにでもなれといわんばかり(に)(=とでもいうような感じで) makes sense?

3) a)
Yes, your interpretation is correct. You might be more familiar with あそこへはいるくらいなら、首を吊ったほうがましだ?

b)
Exactly.

c)
首でつりまさ doesn't make sense. In this case, を is replaced with でも(= even). を or が "disappears" behind でも.

d)
I believe it's a typo of 一同.

e) f)
Yes.

Thanks,

2. Sorry, I have no idea about this. I don't understand your paraphrase any better than the original.

3c. Oh, I didn't realise that this つる took a direct object. I thought で meant "by" as in English "be hanged by the neck".

3d. Oops, yes, it should be 一同. Somehow I read it as 一度.

Have you learned んばかりに? The ん here is from the volitional (言う→言わむ→言わん) and the ばかり part means "seeming like" or "as if to".

Glenn, thanks, but I am only getting more confused. It's not just the ばかり part -- I don't understand any of どうともなれとばかり. I guess it is どう・とも・なれ・と・ばかり, but I have no clue what なれ is, or what any of the rest of it means when strung together.

なれ is the imperative form of 成る. とも is a bit classical. It's equevalent to ても/でも in modern Japanese(in this case, にでも, as I rephrased).

大辞泉 says that this と is originally from the quotation と.

とも
[副助]形容詞型活用語の連用形、あるいは量を表す副詞につく。量・程度や限度などを示す。「遅く―一一時までには帰る」「多少―理解を示す」
[補説]「とも」は、引用の格助詞「と」に、係助詞「も」の付いたものとも。
とも[接助副助終助]の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

どうともなれ basically expresses that he don't care if the situation goes either way (= what happens).

So チェッコは、えい、どうともなれとばかり、両腕をなげ 出してから、はいってゆきました。 means "Checko (?) came in, throwing his arms out as if to say, 'eh, what the %&#$ ever.'" Or something less vulgar.

なれ is the imperative form of 成る. とも is a bit classical. It's equevalent to ても/でも in modern Japanese(in this case, にでも, as I rephrased).

大辞泉 says that this と is originally from the quotation と.

とも[接助副助終助]の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

どうともなれ basically expresses that he don't care if the situation goes either way (= what happens).
Thanks, I think I grasp どうともなれ; then did you mean from your previous post that ~とばかり is just short for ~といわんばかり?

Yeah, sometimes いわん is not said, and I think sometimes it's just ばかりに.

Back
Top Bottom