What's new

のだ / でもないのに / そのためのあの球らしい / 分

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Again, I need some help understanding a few sentences.

1)私の妹とはいえ、軽々しく他の女性と話さぬように。月夜にもっと入られるのだ。

a)The last sentence is translated as a command ("Get loved by Tsukiyo more!"), but isn't she just saying "Tsukiyo loves you more"?

b)Also, doesn't the command function only work with んだ and dictionary form?
c)I've found someone saying that when used as a command, the ん actually comes from もの. Is this true?

For example: 行け!早く行くんだ!
このことを誰にも話すんじゃない!

2) 好きでもないのに・・・つきまとったり、プロポーズしたりしたの?
でも is translated as "even", but doesn't it mean "somewhat"?

3)影響しない。そのためのあの球らしいからな・・・
View image: Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai 20 151

Does そのための modify あの球, or is there a が missing after そのための? >>> そのためのがあの球だ (For that purpose there is that ball)

4)よし、お風呂がない分、30分早く動き出せた。
The context is that the guy has a mission to accomplish and every time he fails he gets sent back in time to the beginning. This is his first time he was sent back. Now he is trying to waste as little time as possible with useless things, so this time he skips taking a bath.

I don't know what the first 分 means. I would usually give my idea on what it might mean, but this time I don't know how to explain it.

1)
Isn't that 月夜にもっと気に入られるのだ?

a)
No. That's a command.

b) c) 2)
No.

3)
The former.

4)
ぶん【分】
3 〔割り当て,分量〕
これは私の分として頂いておきます
I will take this as my share.
これはあなたの分です
This is for you.
不足した分は私が払っておこう
I will make up the rest.
先生にほめられた分だけ勉強するようになった
He has come to work (all the) harder after being praised by the teacher.
けんかっ早いがその分根が正直なんだよ
If he is quick to quarrel, at least it's an indication of how honest he is.
ぶん【分】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

1) Yes, it's 気に入られる. Sorry.

How can you tell if it's a command or if she is just stating a fact? Should it be 月夜にもっと気に入られてるのだ for it to simply mean "Tsukiyo loves you more"?

2) Sorry again. I wrote "somewhat" but I meant to say "or something". I've only noticed now.
So でも means "even" there? Why? Isn't it the same as 先生でもないのに、上から目線で言うなよ!("You are not a teacher or anything, so...")?

3) I was afraid that would be the case. I don't know...it just seems a bit weird to me, but I will get used to it. Just to be sure, can it be rephrased into あの球はそのためらしいからな。

4) Thanks! But I don't really know what should go between お風呂がない分 and 30分早く動き出せた in order to link those two without using a comma, and without using は.

先生にほめられた分だけ勉強するようになった
This sentence has だけ, but my sentence states the number of minutes precisely, so I don't think だけ would work.

Last edited:
1)
From the context. 気に入られてるんだ / 気に入られているのだ can also be imperative, meaning "Keep the current state (being in his favor)" in a suitable context.

2)
From the context. Unlike 好きでさえない, "to like/love or something" sounds odd (well, at least to me).

3)
Yes. The meaning is the same.

4)
お風呂がない分 or 先生にほめられた分 (regardless of the existence of だけ) are an adverbial clause that expresses "extent" as same as 少し or たくさん. In your example sentence, お風呂がない分 and 30分 are 同格. (I think お風呂がない分だけ、30分早く動き出せた is acceptable. I would use お風呂がない分だけ、30分は早く動き出せた for the case, though.)

1)So it's all about the context again.

2) Does this also depend a lot on the context? Do you have any tips to recognize which kind of でも is used in each situation, or do I have to go with what I think fits best?

4) It's an adverbial clause? I see now. I thought that it was a noun because of 分. That is why I thought there needs to be something to link those two.

I'm a little unsure how to translate this. So would this translation be correct?
よし、お風呂がない分、30分早く動き出せた。= I managed to start 30 minutes faster, the equivalent time of not taking a bath.

Back
Top Bottom