What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

どちらか

healer

後輩
Reaction score
自分が住む市や町でも予約をした人は、どちらかの予約をやめてほしいと国は言っています。

I have expected it to say not to book for the vaccination at one of the big venues if you have booked in the city or town you are living in.
And どちらかの予約をやめて I think it means “not to book either one”. How does it fit into the context?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The key is 自分が住む市や町で予約をした人, thus, it doesn't simply refer to the place where they booked. You also need to know that people can have the vaccination at a local venue (including hospital or clinic) in their city or town other than the two big venues in Tokyo and Osaka. Now it's clear what どちらか refers to, isn't it?

healer

後輩
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

I do understand what 自分が住む市や町でも予約をした人 means but I can’t translate どちらかの予約をやめてto fit in with context though I understand every word. Perhaps I miss some grammar points.

I understand どちらか means “either,one (of the two)”. If I translate that word for word, it would be “stop either booking” or “stop booking either one” which doesn’t quite make sense to me. I expected it to say not to book both at the same time or book either one only.

I’m thinking of the following but I’m not sure if they’re correct. I hope you would comment and correct. Thanks!
どちらかだけの予約をして
Book only one of them.
どちらもの予約をやめて
Do not book both of them.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
If I translate that word for word, it would be “stop either booking” or “stop booking either one” which doesn’t quite make sense to me.
Because your translation "to stop" is not appropriate for やめる there, similar to "to change" vs. "to be different" for 変わる. (Hint: think about why the past form 予約をした is used.)

どちらかだけの予約をして
Book only one of them.
It's grammatically correct, but doesn't fit the context.

どちらもの予約をやめて
Do not book both of them.
Ungrammatical. It should be どちらの予約も.

Top Bottom