What's new

とすると / で / 無理をしないで

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. 入学試験のレベルがこれくらいだとすると、今の実力で は無理だ。

My translation: "Assuming that this is the level of the school entrance exam, it's impossible (for me to pass it) with my present ability."

Is this OK? I'm not certain, especially, about とすると.

2. 世界一の記録でとてもおもしろいと思ったことについて 書いてみましょう。

I understand this essentially means something like "Write about something to do with world records that you find particularly interesting."

I'm slightly unsure about で here. Does it just mean "among", "within" or similar?

3. This is said to someone about to attempt a difficult feat:

だめだと思ったら、無理をしないで顔をあげてください 。

I'm assuming that だめだと思ったら means "if you think you can't do it", and that 顔をあげてください is an expression meaning something like "put on a brave face".

I can't figure out how 無理をしないで, which I translate as "not doing something impossible" or "without doing something impossible", fits in the sentence.

1) Yes. とする means to suppose or assume something, so you have it right.

2) I first read it as being the て形 of the copula, but I suppose it could mean "amongst".

3) I don't get this either. :?

2)
Yeah, it's the same usage as で in #4 in this thread.;-)

3)
Is that a sentence regarding a try to hold your breath while putting your face in the water or something? I assume 顔をあげる simply means "to get your face up (from the water)" or "to look up (at me = the speaker)".

I thought it might just mean "lift up your head" as well, but I was having problems putting that in context with the rest of the sentence. Lifting your head out of the water would certainly make sense.

Is that a sentence regarding a try to hold your breath while putting your face in the water or something?
Ah. It could be. It is definitely a water-based challenge - something to do with swimming, or staying under water, or the like. I am not exactly sure.

Assuming you're right, would the whole sentence mean "If you think you can't do it, don't do the impossible - lift your face up (out of the water)"?

Thank you both. After reading the whole text again, I'm pretty sure the face-in-water interpretation is correct.

Back
Top Bottom