What's new

で / 夕食までもちません / たる / ではないでしょうね / 3度目

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. ・・・僕は豚肉が大好きだから、沖縄人でラッキーです。

I guess this means "I love pork, so I'm lucky to be an Okinawan", but I am not very clear about the purpose of で or even whether or not it is the copula.

2. クラブがある日はすごくお腹が空くので、結構大きな弁 当を持って行くけど、それでも夕食までもちません。

My translation: "On days when I go the (sports) club I get very hungry, so I take quite a large lunch box (to school), but even so ... ??? ... "

I can't get the last bit. It looks to me like "but, even so, I don't have/hold (it) until the evening meal" but that makes no sense. I wondered if it meant "I can't hold on until my evening meal" (i.e. have to eat again in between), but I feel I am just guessing based on the English idiom "hold on".

3. 彼はそうそうたる学者に混じって落ち着かなかった。

Translation given: "He felt ill at ease among prominent scholars."

a) I guess そうそう = 錚々?

b) Is たる the same たる I had in another recent question that means about the same as とした?

4. まさかもう彼が来たのではないでしょうね。

Translation given: "He hasn't come already, has he?"

Does the speaker believe that he has come, or that he hasn't come?

5. 私は夜中に3度目が覚めた。

Translation given: "I awoke three times in the night."

Is 3度目 the subject of 覚めた? Obviously it looks that way, but I don't really see how it would make sense.

1)
It's not the copula but the particle to indicate cause/reason.

2)
9 長くそのままの状態を保ち続ける。もちこたえる。「夏場でも―・つ食品」「これじゃとてもからだが―・たない」
もつ - goo辞書

lit. The lunch box doesn't last me till dinner.

3) a)
Yes.

b)
Yes.

たる / わ / なる

4)
Both are possible depending on the context, but the speaker can't believe he has come, so he/she(= the speaker) is making sure the fact.

5)
3度目が覚めた

Thank you,

1. I can understand "I'm lucky because I'm Okinawan", and I can understand "I'm lucky because I like pork", but I'm having difficulty with "I'm lucky because I'm Okinawan because I like pork", which is what the ... から ... で ... structure seems to mean. How should I understand this?

2. Is there any particular reason why the kanji is used earlier in 持って, but not in もちません? Does it seem odd or inconsistent?

5. Duh, yeah, dumb mistake...

1)
We have a common understanding that Okinawan people eat lots of pork.

2)
もつ of this meaning seems to tend to be written in hragana comparing to 持つ as "to have", just in my opinion.

Sorry, I understand that Okinawans are supposed to eat a lot of pork. That has already been explained in the story. I should have mentioned that. What I am having difficulty with is the apparent concatenation of "because ... because ..." in "I'm lucky because I'm Okinawan because I like pork". In English this structure does not really make any sense. "I'm lucky because I'm Okinawan and I like pork" would make sense. So would "I'm lucky that I'm Okinawan because I like pork". However, I don't know whether I should understand the Japanese to mean either of those or something else.

今日は寒いから、セーターを着ててよかった。

See the example above. This sentence DOESN'T mean "I'm lucky because today is cold". 今日は寒いから just shows why I feel lucky to wear a sweater. I hope this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom