What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

ちゃんと

烏天狗

後輩
Reaction score
皆さん、ちわっす!

I have a question regarding the word 「ちゃんと」and if you would't mind, I would appreciate some help!

I know ちゃんと is a fairly common word, and it doesn't take genius to look it up in a dictionary. I understand that for the most part it means "properly", as in doing something "properly". Of course there are a litany of other meanings, all of which are somewhat similar (i.e carefully; exactly; diligently; orderly etc). Moreover, one if its more popular uses would be attributed to a parent chiding their child 「野菜をちゃんと食べなさい」in a "Eat your veggies (as one is supposed to)" sort of way.

However, I'm looking for more nuance to the word and other usages. Obviously it wouldn't be appropriate to tell a co-worker to do something properly (in a context where they were screwing off) in this way and to that end, I've read that しっかり or きちんと might be more appropriate.

Are there ways to use ちゃんと maybe with friends or other contexts in which ちやんと might be used in a "every day" sort of scenario; (aside from scolding your children).

I just want to understand this word a bit better. Thanks for any help in advance!

小天狗

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score

As in the dictionary, ちゃんと is more colloquial than きちんと. That's one of the reasons ちゃんと has that nuance.
Of course ちゃんと can be used without such a nuance, and きちんと can be inappropriate for co-workers.
e.g.
○○さんはいつもしっかりしてて、ちゃんと仕事しなかったことなんてないですよね。
もっときちんと仕事してくださいよ。

Top Bottom