What's new

~たり、~たりする

dhmkhkk

後輩
25 Jun 2017
So I finally got to the enumeration of actions other then ~て. :emoji_blush: Are the following sentences correct?

1. 日本でたくさん食べたり、買い物をしたりしたいです。
2. 日本でたくさん食べたり、買い物をしたいです。
3. クラスでタバコを吸ったり、たべたりはいけません。
4. マンガを読んだり、料理したりするのが好きです。
5. マンガを読んだり、料理するのが好きです。

So probably my question would be what to do if there is already one する in the action (like, 料理する/料理したり) and then there is another する for the construction ~たり、~たりする.

#1 and 4 are correct. #3 and 5 are actually sometimes used, but learners should use the correct form 食べたりしてはいけません / 料理したりする .
There is another problem in #3. In this sentence, タバコ can be interpreted also as the object of 食べる, i.e., タバコを吸ったり、タバコを食べたり. The best answer is 教室でタバコを吸ったり、ものを食べたりしてはいけません。.

Ah, I see. Thank you! I see what you mean with the subject of #3... :)

So, する can actually be omitted in, for example, #2? Can it always be omitted and the learners should just learn the correct form, or can the omission be ungrammatical sometimes?

Object, not subject.

The reason I didn't mentioned about #2 is because it's wrong. It's actually understandable, but considered as ungrammatical. See the difference between #2 and 3/5. 買い物をしたいです is the main predicative in #2, but it's not so 3 and 5. Actually, ~たり can be treated like a noun clause as same as ~たりするの/こと (e.g. 飲んだり食べたりはだめです, 読んだり見たりが嫌いです). This usage is from classical Japanese, so I recommend learners use the standard expression.

I forgot whether ~たりする constructions can include more than two actions like 喋ったり、書いたり、聴解したりします。

Back
Top Bottom