What's new

Would you please check my sentences for the mid-term exam?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
I've started making the mid-term exam. I have to finish it until Friday.

Would you please check my sentences?
1 My father has three cameras .
2 Tom speaks Japanese at school .
3 Tom and Mary are speaking Japanese now.
4 Are you (now) watching a Japanese drama? [Is it odd to put "now" between "you" and "watching"? I know "Are you watching a Japanese drama now" is a lot more common.]
5 I eat/have lunch here every day.
6 The American woman goes to church on Sundays.
7 Do you listen to Japanese music?
8 My grandparents live in Kyoto .
9 Do they always help you?
10 My daughter swims here every summer.
11 I like the hat you are wearing.
12 This is the town he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town that he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town which he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town where he lived when he was a boy.
13 The movie I saw/watched yesterday was wonderful/great . [Do British people use "film" instead of "movie"?]
14 Do you know the music/tune he is playing?
15 This is the pen I bought yesterday.
16 The fish I ate yesterday was very good.
17 Is this the school you were talking about?
18 The woman I want to see is Ms. Brown.
19 The book Bob gave to me was very interesting.
20 Is that the man you met yesterday?

Last edited:
12 This is the town he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town that he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town which he lived in when he was a boy. / This is the town where he lived when he was a boy.
Of these four, I prefer the first, second, and fourth. The third, tho you'd hear and see that a lot in the US, and I wouldn't mark it wrong, I'd avoid.

4 Are you (now) watching a Japanese drama? [Is it odd to put "now" between "you" and "watching"? I know "Are you watching a Japanese drama now" is a lot more common.]
Both are acceptable, but I think they're a little different. With 'now' at the end, I get the sense of 'right now'. With 'now' in the other place, I seem to take it as maybe watching a japanese drama series--that the person is in the middle of that kind of thing, rather than doing something 'right now'.

All the sentences look good.

Thank you very much for your help.
With 'now' in the other place, I seem to take it as maybe watching a japanese drama series--that the person is in the middle of that kind of thing, rather than doing something 'right now'
I see. That's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom