What's new

Would you eat it?

What do you think of this method?

• It's weird science, I dun like it.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm not sure what's going on here but if it isn't 100% natural I can't fully trust it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get the idea and it seems safe, I'm for it.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Get those fish at all costs, grow them on trees if you have to.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

bakaKanadajin

先輩
30 Apr 2007
http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/holy-mackerel-a-breakthrough-in-tuna-science

I'm sure many of you have seen this piece, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who gets this newsletter. But anyway, this was interesting. With all the worlds problems it seems like a good thing, accepting the fact that you'll never satisfy purists. Actually, it doesn't seem so bad at all since it's not so much like engineering them from test tubes rather than using available resources to cleverly create Tuna using surrogacy. As the article states, they'd thusly be able to create natural stock that's genetically varied to such a, well, natural and therefore sustainable degree that they'd potentially be able to replenish wild stocks. This technology could exist within 10 years.

What do you think about this?

tunaauctionsjapan-1.jpg

sushi_hon_maguro-1.jpg

i wouldnt eat this tuna !! i dont know if it real fish or anything else LOL

So long as it tastes good (doesn't have to taste like tuna lol) and isn't too harmful, its fine.

I don't buy animal based products, but seeing how people will continue to do so for a long time, all this is much better than making a species go extinct.

If I did still buy animal based products, then I'd have no problem with eating this tuna, because it's, well, tuna. All they're doing is transplanting tuna semen and ova and using stem cells (didn't read the entire article) to replenish tuna populations. I don't see a problem with that.

In fact, scientists are working on producing meat by growing it in laboratories. If they're successful, it would be a good alternative for normal meat. Again, I'd have no problem with it.

How is this different from oranges, which are merely hybrid trees, spliced at the top?

Hybridization happens all the time, and is delicious.

People have been creating hybrid animals (breeds) and crops for centuries. This is just a little more high-tech.

Eat away!

To the OP, what's your opinion?

Well my opinion is that, as this is not heavily genetically modified stuff and it's just another part of selective breeding and using the forces of nature in a more guided, less chaotic and random fashion, as you alluded to Glenski, it fits the definition of natural and is (to me personally) acceptable.

So yeah, I'd eat the tuna.

By contrast, Throham mentioned meat grown in labs. That I wouldn't really want to eat unless I had no other choice.

If it tasted the same and the texture was also the same I would no problem eating it.

People have been creating hybrid animals (breeds) and crops for centuries. This is just a little more high-tech.

Eat away!

To the OP, what's your opinion?

Like proper hybrid mammals and birds? Hmm, you could make chicken taste like beef. That would be quite a contribution to society.

Hybrid animals? If you are talking about things like beef cattle, yes. Just cross-breed them.

Don't know what gobbledygook you are talking about with chicken tasting like beef.

Back
Top Bottom