What's new

Would you check my sentences for the exam?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
would you check if my sentences for the exam are correct?
I'd appreciate it if you would check only a few of them.

問5 次の英語を日本語に訳し、解答欄に書きなさい。(2×5=10点)
①A Japanese architect by the name of Ando Tadao won the top prize. (安藤忠雄)
②What was the population of China as of 2000?
③The city of Aomori is in the northern part of Japan.
④Our city has more than thirty thousand immigrants.
⑤One of my colleages won the top prize of the competition.

問6 次の英語を日本語に訳し、解答欄に書きなさい。(3×5=15点)
①In the 1960s, like many other cities, Curitiba had a lot of environmental problems.
②This city has attracted the world's attention as a city with a sustainable ecology.
③The city council held a competition to invite ideas for solving these problems.
④Curitiba has a replica of Kyoto 's Kinkakuji Temple, together with a traditional Japanese garden.
⑤In 1971, he became mayor and began to make the city a better place to live.

問7 ( )の指示に従って英語に訳しなさい。(4×6=24点)
①北海道は日本の北部に位置している。(locate, partを用いて9語で)
Hokkaido is located in the northern part of Japan.
②日本の人口は約1億3千万人です。(million を用いて8語で[数字は一語とする])
Japan has a population of about 130 million.
The population of Japan is about 130 million.
③多くの大都市が交通渋滞に悩んでいる。(suffer, congestionを用いて8語で)
Many large/big cities are suffering from traffic congestion.
④その市長は、多くの環境問題を解決してきている。(現在完了形を用いて7語で)
The mayor has solved many environmental problems.
⑤私達の町には、1万人の移民がいる。(数字は綴りで書き6~8語で)
There are ten thousand immigrants in our city.
Our city has ten thousand immigrants.
Ten thousand immigrants live in our city.
⑥生徒の年齢は15歳から18歳です。(数字は綴りで書き、age, range を用いて10語で )
The ages of the students range from fifteen to eighteen.

Thanks in advance.
Hirashin

Last edited:
Hi Hirashin. In question 5, number 5, I would say "in the competition". Also, "colleague" should be spelt like this.
I would also say "The age of the students ranges from...." in question 6, number 7.
Otherwise they all look good to me I think.

I would actually say "at" the competition, and I would use "in" if I were being more specific like a particular subject or division of the competition. "top prize" is understandable but more commonly one would just say "first place" or "grand prize," depending on the context.

問6 #4, it feels like nitpicking and it may be too high level a word, but rather than "together" I would say "replete with a traditional Japanese garden." "Together" makes it sound like the garden is in addition to the replica, as opposed to a part of the temple grounds. Not a mistake, per se, just a matter of native word choice

Just as a matter of test-writing, I would not tell students that their answers must include an exact number of words. Even if you're testing them on very specific structures, I'd just say which words you'd like to see in their answers and see what they're coming up with. This may make grading slightly less formulaic, but is a better measure of their abilities :)

Personally I would never say "at" with "competition" unless it was combined with the venue like "won first prize at the university speech competition". I would always use "in" with the actual competition/race/contest, i.e "I came first in the 100m race/singing contest" I could never imagine saying "I took part at a singing competition/contest". Thinking about it more, I think you're thinking about it as in the whole event and I'm thinkng about it as in a actual/specific competition.

I certainly agree that "first place" would be more natural than "top prize" though.

I agree "at" sounds more like it's referring to a place, or conflating the competition with the venue itself; like I said, if "competition" were more specific I would prefer "in" as well.

I could never imagine saying "I took part at a singing competition/contest".
Neither would I, but that's a very different sentence. "took part" almost begs to be used with "in," and "at" would go better with a definite article (ie: I sang at the competition). Again, if the object is more specific that would change my preposition of choice (I sang in the R&B competition)

I had to look up "replete". I've never heard it before. The word I would use is "along".
yeah i just saw in the other thread that his students are not high level, and although it's what I would consider the most correct word to use in that structure, it's not a common word and even native speakers may not know it.

Back
Top Bottom