hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Dear native English speakers,
would you check my English exam?

高校3年 コミュニケーション英語Ⅲ 一学期末 定期考査

問1 次の文を読んで、下の問いに答えなさい。11点
When we say that life is a ( あ ), we usually ( い ) it in its metaphorical sense. But there was a ( う ) who really lived his life as a ( え ). (ア)( On / In / For ) fact, he went on a long journey a number of times in his life. On one such journey, he covered a ( お ) of 1,767 kilometers, (イ)( to spend / spent / spending ) a total of 143 days.
How did he travel? Did he drive? Did he take a train or bus? No, in his time, there were no public ( か ) systems. Instead, (ウ)( in / on / for ) the most part, he walked. This kind of journey would be ( き ) for young people, to say (エ)( something / anything / nothing ) of a man in his middle age. So why did he constantly take to the road? What made him do it?
That poet was Matsuo Basho (1644-1694).

①( あ )~( き )に入る適切な語を下から選び解答欄に書きなさい。綴りミスは0点 計7点
challenging / journey / poet / transportation / understand / distance / traveler
②(ア)~(エ)の( )の中で、最も適切な語句を選び解答欄に書きなさい。計4点

問2 次の文を読んで下の問いに答えなさい。9点
People (a)[ for / on / go / different / trips ] purposes: some for pleasure, others for business. No matter what their purposes are, it is quite easy today to take a trip with all the public transportation systems as (ア)( good / well / best ) as comfortable hotels. But imagine yourself going on a journey in the Edo period, say 300 years ago. Imagine yourself covering long distances (イ)( on / by / with ) foot or riding a horse.
Traveling was much harder (ウ)( on / in / for ) those days than we might think. In one of his travel sketches, Basho says he believed (エ)( on / in / for ) traveling light, but there were things that he had to carry on his back: a coat, an inkstone, a brush, writing paper, and medicine. Imagine having to walk all the way with these things on your back. Your feet would hurt and you would be very tired. The following haiku suggests (b)[ tired / was / Basho / how ] after a long day's walk:

草臥(くたびれ)て After weary hours
宿かる比(ころ)や We found a country inn:
藤の花 Wisteria flowers.

It was not always possible to find a comfortable inn. On his journey to the northern part of Japan, Basho had to go through the barrier of Shitomae to enter the province of Dewa. The gatekeepers, however, were suspicious and (c)[ for / waiting / kept / Basho ] a long time before finally allowing him to pass. He started to climb a huge mountain and it soon became dark; he had to find a place to stay overnight. Luckily, he found a gatekeeper's house, (オ)( which / what / where ) he could stay for the night. Was it a nice place to stay? By no means.

蚤(のみ)虱(しらみ) Fleas and lice.
馬の尿(ばり)する A horse was staling
枕もと At my pillow side.

Today, few of us would want to go on a journey of this kind. Then why did Basho go traveling, (d)[ awaiting / the / knowing / all / difficulties ] him?

①(ア)~(オ)の括弧の中で、最も適切な語を選び解答欄に書きなさい。5点
②(a)~(d)の[ ]の中の語を正しい順序に並べなさい。4点

問3 次の文を読んで下の問いに答えなさい。24点
(ア)[ As / Like / For ] Basho, traveling was an important part of life. (イ)[ As / Like / For ] a poet, he felt he had to take to the road to find poetic ( あ ). (1)In spite of the difficulties and inconveniences he had to go through, he was convinced of the importance of following nature-(2)being one with nature -because he believed that this was the source of his poetic ( あ ). Basho probably felt that the beauty of nature was his ( い ). He found great pleasure in mountains and fields, beaches and the sea. Every new path, every sunrise brought fresh thoughts. On the ( う ) to the Deep North, which resulted (ウ)[ in / on / to ] his work, The Narrow Road to the Deep North (Oku no Hosomichi ), Basho experienced many moments of ( あ ).
In Hiraizumi, Basho observed that three ( え ) of the Fujiwara had passed (エ)[ with / like / for ] a dream. Hidehira's palace was nothing more than a field of grass. (3)Reading the following haiku, you may be able to understand a little bit about how Basho's poetic imagination worked.

夏草や Summer grass:
兵(つはもの)どもが Ruins of the dreams
夢の跡 Of warriors past.

One afternoon in Yamagata, Basho visited Ryushakuji temple. There was a mountain of ( お ) rocks (オ)[ to cover / covering / covered ] with age-old trees. It was ( か ) silent.
(カ)[ As / Like / For ] Basho crawled on his hands and knees from rock to rock, (4)he was overwhelmed by the tranquility. His spirit also grew quiet. The scene led to the following well-known haiku:

閑(しづ)かさや Such tranquility!
岩にしみ入る Seeping into the very rocks
蝉(せみ)の声 The cicadas' cry.

After (キ)[spend / spent / spending ] a few days beside the sea in the town of Sakata, Basho left (ク)[ to / in / for ] Kaga, present-day Kanazawa, about 500 kilometers away. As he thought of the great distance ahead of him, it almost broke his heart. When he reached Niigata, 200 kilometers from Sakata, he wrote the following haiku:

荒海や How wild the sea!
佐渡に横たふ Like a bridge to Sado,
天(あま)の河(がは) The Milky Way.

①下線部(1)~(4)を日本語に訳しなさい。各2点 計8点
②( あ )~( か )に当てはまる語を下から選び解答欄に書きなさい。同じ記号の箇所には同じ 語が入ります。計6点
generations / massive / completely / journey / inspiration / reward
③(ア)~(ク)の[ ]の中で最も適切なものを選び、解答欄に書きなさい。計8点
④本文の内容と合っているものを一つだけ記号で選びなさい。2点
(a) At Ryushakuji temple, Basho felt that a lot of cicadas' cry was noisy.
(b) When Basho visited Hiraizumi, the palace of the Fujiwaras was not there any more.
(c) Basho stayed in the town of Sakata for about a month.
(d) Crossing the bridge between Niigata and Sado, Basho wrote a well-known haiku.

問4 次の文を読んで下の問いに答えなさい。12点
Basho had no permanent home. He was on the road constantly. In ( あ ) to his trip to the Deep North, he also made long trips to Shiga , Mie, and Kyoto . He had no interest at all (ア)[ to / in / for] money or property. Having nothing of value, he had no ( い ) of being robbed on his journeys.
While on the road, Basho experienced a great sense of freedom. He noted: "I had no fixed plan or route. I could go wherever I liked. My only concerns were (イ)[when / where / what ] to stay at night and whether I could find straw sandals that fit my feet."
Starting on a journey with only the ( う ) of life was probably important for Basho's poetic imagination. Basho was well ( え ) that this world is essentially transient: "Mountains fall, rivers change course, old roads disappear and new roads are built, rocks sink into the mud, and trees grow old and new trees spring up." Basho might have (ウ)[ think / thinking / thought ] that wealth would simply blind him to the beauty of nature. Therefore, he chose to cast away ( お ) to (エ)[ make / let / allow ] his true self to be one with nature, which, in fact, was the ( か ) of his poetic imagination.
The Narrow Road to the Deep North is about one particular trip Basho took, but more than that, it is about life itself. For Basho, life on earth was a journey in search of a vision of eternity. Basho found his vision in nature, which is always changing but which is also repeating itself in endless cycles. By capturing one moment in a haiku image, Basho found his vision of eternity.

①( あ )~( か )に入る適切な語を下から選び、解答欄に書きなさい。計6点
necessities / aware / source / addition / fear / possessions
②(ア)~(エ)の[ ]の中から、適切な語を選び解答欄に書きなさい。計4点
③次の中で、本文の内容に合っているものを一つだけ選び、その記号を解答欄に書きなさい。2点
(a) Basho traveled and collected a lot of things of value.
(b) For Basho, life was a journey to find a vision of eternity.
(c) To cast away possessions, Basho captured his vision of eternity.

問5 次の英文を日本語に訳しなさい。各2点 計4点
①No matter what you say, I won't believe you.
②Our travels were not always easy.

問6 次の( )に1語ずつ入れて、日本語の意味になる英文を作りなさい。各1点 下線部は完全解答で1点
①私は、東京に住んでいる若い女性と会った。
I met a young ( )( ) ( )( ) Tokyo.
②これは、秀吉によって建てられた城です。
This is a castle ( )( ) ( )( ) Hideyoshi.
③トムには、日本語を流ちょうに話す息子が一人います。
Tom ( ) a ( ) ( )( ) Japanese fluently.
④これは、100年前に書かれた本です。
This is a book ( )( )( ) 100 years ( ).
⑤あなたのお父さんはドイツ語が話せるんですか。
( ) your father ( )( ) speak German?
⑥あなたは泳げるんですか。
( ) you ( )?
⑦この機械は先週使われましたか。
( ) this machine ( ) ( )( )?
⑧あの机は、私の叔父によって作られました。
That desk ( )( )( ) my ( ).
⑨私は、去年、マイクのパーティに招待されました。
I ( )( )( ) Mike's party ( )( ).
⑩これは、前の日曜日に買ったコンピュータです。
This is the computer ( )( )( ) ( ) Sunday.
⑪あなたは、アメリカに行ったことがありますか。
( )( )( ) been ( ) America?
⑫あなたは火曜日からずっと忙しいんですか。
( ) you ( ) busy ( )( )?
⑬私は、8年間英語の勉強をしています。(数字も綴りで書くこと)
I ( )( ) English ( )( )( ).
⑭あなたはもう昼ご飯を食べましたか。
( )( )( ) lunch ( )?
⑮私の父は、サッカーの試合を見るのが好きだ。
My father ( )( ) soccer games.
⑯私の叔母は、毎日水泳を楽しんでいる。
My aunt ( )( ) every day.
⑰私は、昨日の夜、この物語を書き終えた。
I ( )( ) this story ( )( ).
⑱日本語を話すことは簡単だ
( )( ) is ( ).
⑲私の趣味は、ピアノを弾くことです。
My ( ) is ( )( )( ).
⑳そのかわいい女の子は、みんなに愛されている。
The ( )( ) ( )( )( ) everyone.
㉑カナダでは英語が話されていますか。
( ) English ( ) ( ) Canada?
㉒彼らは、今出て行ったところです。
They ( )( )( ) out.
㉓私は、10歳の頃からここに住んでいます。
I ( )( )( )( ) I was ten.

That's all.

Last edited:
Hi Hirashin, I'm not sure I managed to read all of it but most of it looks good.
I would say though that "spend" is usually used as in " to use time doing something or being somewhere: " so I would say " ( to spend / spent / spending ) a total of 143 days there" in the first line.

Thanks for your constant help, Michael2.

The part you've commented on is from the original text.

The text goes like this:
On one such journey, he covered a distance of 1,767 kilometers, spending a total of 143 days.

So I think I should not change it even if it sounds unnatural.

Yes, that's fair, but in my opinion the English is wrong. What I quoted before was from a dictionary, and we would always say "I spent 5 days there/in Osaka", not just "I spent 5 days"

Back
Top Bottom