What's new

Women only Universities

Kirakira1232

素敵な冒険始まる!
6 May 2008
Hi guys,

I know this may seem like a topic that should be in education but I'd like to know how female only universities in Japan came about? In Australia I havent heard of any kind of University that was exclusively for females although we do have a female only gym here.

So yeah I was wondering what in society prompted female only universities in Japan...and possibly if there other such institutions in other countries.

I'm all for feminism, but I think female only Universities are sexist.

They exist in Japan for the same reasons they exist in other countries. I suppose one of those reasons is like Derfel mentioned above, chastity.

Yeah I guess so...its just odd because I've never heard of a university that discriminates against well....anything except for your grades.

If there isn't a area which only men or women can master, why would there be gender oriented universities?

gee whizz - where do I start?

it's so hillarious - Japan is probably the safest country in the world but the women think everytime they go anywhere they're gonna get raped!

if they had more of an intergration of the sexes then maybe.. just maybe.. every single guy in Japan wouldn't be classed as a hentai

just normal!! rofl

gee whizz - where do I start?

it's so hillarious - Japan is probably the safest country in the world but the women think everytime they go anywhere they're gonna get raped!

if they had more of an intergration of the sexes then maybe.. just maybe.. every single guy in Japan wouldn't be classed as a hentai

just normal!! rofl

NOOO! I don't want that, it would ruin the ecchi anime industry.
Imagine everyone being open and stuff... no one would watch ecchi in his dark room anymore.

I really don't think that women only schools in Japan are to promote chastity. Japan has been and largely remains a male dominated society. Men are encouraged to be active and assertive, and women, not so much.

Girls only schools are a way to help foster confidence and assertiveness in women, as there are no boys to lead the way. I think this is the main reason for them, speaking only from my "gut".

I really don't think that women only schools in Japan are to promote chastity. Japan has been and largely remains a male dominated society. Men are encouraged to be active and assertive, and women, not so much.
Girls only schools are a way to help foster confidence and assertiveness in women, as there are no boys to lead the way. I think this is the main reason for them, speaking only from my "gut".

Ahh so in other words the only that women can really feel like they've been heard is to attend an all female university?

I guess if it is to foster confidence in young women, it can only be a good thing ne.

I believe there are female-only universities in some middle eastern countries where women are not supposed to mix with men in public places. All the staff have to be women, even cleaners etc. I don't agree with that kind of society but if those unis enable women to get a good education then they are a good thing in that context... rather with them than without...

I believe there are female-only universities in some middle eastern countries where women are not supposed to mix with men in public places

here is Japan.
most men want to enter female-only universities
however, female refuse ... like female-only train..
it mean men are discriminated...

ochanomizu university
http://www.ocha.ac.jp/index-e.html

In the United States women's colleges were created for obvious reasons (women weren't seen as intelligent enough to study at the same level as men; Harvard etc. didn't admit women) but most became co-educational when previously male only colleges started to accept women. The remaining women's colleges (Smith College leaps to mind) remain single sex because of reasons Mikawa Ossan said, but they've actually been validated in studies. :O

Back
Top Bottom