What's new

Why should I learn Japanese?

SteppenX

後輩
22 Nov 2006
Please help me get some motivation. I talked about thinking of starting to learn Japanese to my friends and they thought it was a bad idea. My main reason is that I would want to go to Japan for long time.

Please tell me more reasons why someone would have to learn Japanese and why did you start to learn it?

Thank you if anyone can help me get some more motivation!

There's no real practical reason to learn Japanese, as it's not that useful. I guess if you want to work at a Japanese company, or be a translator it's practical, but other than that it'd really be just a hobby. I live in Japan, but Japanese is not really needed to live here. I'm learning Japanese simply because I like it, and that should be your only motivation.

If you are aiming for more business opportunities and are young, and have no specific cultural interest in Japan, I advise you to learn Chinese instead, since you'd definitely get more bang for the effort. Both will probably take similar amount of time to learn from scratch.

I learned it because I wanted to understand Japanese dorama and TV shows.

but, YOU want to go for long time? what are you planning to do there? study.. or work, or you want to move and live in Japan?

You said you want to go to Japan, sounds like a good enough reason to learn Japanese. Even if its just as a tourist, the experience should be more enjoyable if you can speak Japanese. That's why I'm learning. Well, that and a personal reason. In the end, Japanese is your interest, not their's, so go and learn it and have fun.

Please tell me more reasons why someone would have to learn Japanese and why did you start to learn it?

at first, i found it just interesting and funny as something to do in my free time. then i figured out that more i study, more i learn about japan. then, i realise there is real chance for me to go to japan and continue my studies there.. so i keep on studying..
that is short version, i guess.😊

but, hey, sheppenX, give us some more info... why your ''friends'' does not support you... and how could we, then, motivate you...?
:?

I wanted to learn Japanese because of my aspiration as a game designer. You know, since most of the best games ARE from Japanese developers... IMO. I also wanted to learn it 'cause the pronunciation is very similar to Spanish (which I also speak).
But that was back when I was 12. Now I'm majoring in Computer Science, uninterested in making video games for the time being. Either way, I have learned too much Japanese for me to stop studying. Also, I'm a language lover. Comparing the various aspects of English, Spanish, and Japanese is hella interesting to me.
I plan to live in Japan in the future, at least temporarily. Maybe I'll land a job there as a programmer if I work hard enough on my Japanese.
IMO, Japanese is useful if you're interested in anime, video games, manga, or you're actually visiting Japan. Or you do a lot of business with Japanese companies...

Last edited:
why learn Japanese

I started learning Japanese, about a month and a half ago. I thought it would be something productive to do while watching anime, and i thought it'd be cool to watch raw anime episodes and understand them. I also thought it sounded cool and the anime theme songs rock!:p I've found Asian cultures interesting for a long time, but never got the chance to learn about them in school.

When i started out the writing system scared me a bit, it didnt seem very pragmatic...but who am I to judge.

In summary if you like Japan a lot and find it's culture and language interesting and enjoy linguistics, then go for it!👍 The worst that can happen is you waste a couple hours studying it only to find out you don't like it.

At the very least it's always good to know more then one language. currently I'm studying chinese and Japanese. I dont wanna be one of those American goobers that only knows english!

Plus think of all the cute girls you could impress with your Japanese skills 😊

Because it's fun and rewarding being able to speak another language.

There's really not to many other reasons to learn another language in general - you get some reward for your effort.

I'd say if you like it, go for it. If you're interested in a better bang-for-your-buck in buisness, etc., Chinese is a better choice (like someone here already mentioned).

Just decide yourself what you want to get out of it.

Back
Top Bottom