What's new

White Paper on Criminality in Japan

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Mainichi News published the following White Paper on Criminality in Japan on Nov. 16, 2001. Please don't mind the awkward translation, we have used Exite Japan's translation tool.

Criminal White Paper
The number of cases and the rate of prison accommodation are the highest ever. The rate of an arrest is the minimum after the war.

The Ministry of Justice released the criminal white paper of 01 editions on the 16th. The number of cases of the criminal offense which the police has recognized in one year last year updated about 3,256,000 affairs (increase of 12.1% compared with last year), and the highest ever. The rate of an arrest of the criminal offense except a traffic accident is 23.6%, and dropped further 10.2 point from last year which was the worst after the war. It is the 2nd time that the fall width of the rate of an arrest exceeded ten points by the ratio of the previous year after the war. Rates of accommodation, such as a prison, exceeded 100% only after they began to have taken statistics in 103.6% and the present form, and they became superfluous accommodation.

Although the number of cases of a criminal offense is increasing after 75 year, it is increasing by leaps and bounds especially in 95 and afterwards. In according to name of crime, in order of theft (65.5%) and a traffic accident resulting in injury or death (25.0%), and 90% of the whole is exceeded. On the other hand, the number of cases of cruel 窶敕? such as homicide and a burglar, also increased from the previous year. The rate of increase for five years is drawing 68.9% each, 54.8%, 84.1%, and the rapid increase curve for injury, extortion, compulsive obscenity, etc. recently.

The larcenous rate of an arrest broke the record low 19.1% and after the war. In the larcenous person in custody, the 50 or older-year middle-aged and the elderly are increasing rapidly. Moreover, snatching and vending machine roughness -- carrying out -- etc. -- theft of a violent form and systematic forms, such as picking, was conspicuous, and the actual condition that criminal investigation has not caught up was thrown into relief

On the other hand, although the arrest number of a boy's criminal offense was as high as about 221,000 persons recently in 98, it decreased and 99 years also became about 193,000 persons and a 4.2% decrease compared with last year last year. The boy arrested for homicide is 105 persons of a six-person decrease compared with last year.

The arrest number of cases of the criminal offense by the visit-to-Japan foreigner is about 22,900 affairs, and became fewer about 2100 affairs from the previous year.

The rate of accommodation of a prison of how taking present and statistics differing and having exceeded 100% henceforth < 72 year > is the first although there is also time which was over 100% in the mid-60s.

The Research and Training Institute of the Ministry of Justice which summarized statistics is analyzing it as "Although Japan's peace was good compared with many foreign countries, aggravation of the peace is apprehended now."

Copyright ツゥ Mainichi Shinbun

A very important thing to keep in mind when perusing MoJ/NPA white papers on crime is that the statistics are, to a degree, bogus.

The case clearance (prosecution) rates for at least some crimes are falsified and inflated at the local police department level by attaching uncleared cases which are about to bump up against the statute of limitations onto suspects being prosecuted for unrelated crimes.

A chit is sent up the *police* chain of command showing that a certain case was "cleared", while relevant documents and evidence are never sent to the prosecutor (because they don't exist). No attempt is ever made to reconcile the number of cases police report as cleared with the number of cases prosecutors report as prosecuted. To do so would destroy the thin veil surrounding the polite fiction which substitutes for efficient and effective police work in Japan.

Statistics from / about / in Japan are all bogus.

Don't trust any numbers that are given since they have different ways to mark and record them.

Also, the statue of limitations in Japan is very interesting in regards to murder. The police will let a suspect who slipped away to float around in society (the actually phrasing is "swim in the palm of one's hand") until the time limit forces a full all out search and capture.

I hate to say this but the "efficient and effective police work in Japan" is normally in regards to eating !Take out Ramen!.

Here's some stats. In the last 3 weeks, I now know 3 people who had their car broken into. Locations being at closest 10 kms apart.

hmmm, I wonder if the police make a bigger effort to prosecute Gaijin vs. Japanese?

ahh, VMV. Yeah, I heard years ago about that. You cut up a 1,ooo yen note and tape it again. Insert into the machine and yank the note back out again. Repeat until the change disappears. (I used to teach a jr. dectective ;) )

Update: past few months my neighborhood has been hit 4 times.

ouch

Lot's of this crime I think is foreign family organized based.

Back
Top Bottom