What's new

When & Why - Invisible Mode ??

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
I notice several members use "invisible mode" quite often. I always wonder why. Are you trying to avoid a stalker? Have a reason for not wanting others to know you are on? What's your excuse/reason for cloaking&stealth?

Uncle Frank

:? :eek:

It's under............................................. .........

"Edit Options" which is under "My Settings" at the top left. It's the first box at the top , and you "check it" . Staff and Donators can still see you are on JREF, but general membership and guests can not. ""I THINK"".

Uncle Frank

😊

Not really invisible they are marked red instead of orange when they post. still can tell they are online @_@

but you guys are donators, so perhaps that is why you can see they are online? Personally, I don't really care if I can see whether someone is browsing the boards or not, the only activity that concerns me is posting.

godppgo said:
Being too self-conscious, or pissed of someone and do not want to have direct confrontation with that person?
I was thinking much the same reason. I know when Lexico was on he went through a phase of being invisible because of trouble with other members. I think he just did't want the hassle while he was reading through posts.
Just a note, on the 'whose online' part only mods, admin and donators can see people who are invisible.

Well, being "invisible" would never occur to me. I like being out there for all to see, both in good times and bad.

I think it is nice to provide some additional benefits for those who pony up the dough to help keep the site running, but I question making "invisible" users visible to them as one of those benefits.

It's sort of like saying, "Here's an option to provide you with some privacy, but we'll sell out that modicum of privacy to anybody for a few bucks."

And whether a member is currently active or not, I don't think it entirely appropriate to divulge that a member took advantage of the invisible mode from time-to-time. I believe that when one chooses to use it, one should be able to expect a reasonable degree of privacy about it.

I remained invisible for most of the time since I joined JRef basically because I was embarassed to show that I keep logging into the forum countless number of times a day!

Now, I don't care and would actually like to see my online friends to see me when I'm logged in.

I concur with Mike about the privacy granted in the invisible mode, but I'm not complaining--I don't run or own JRef! :p

Since it is publicly stated that the ability to view invisible mode users is one of the benefits of donating, one could convincingly argue that the expectation of privacy is compromised and we can't kick too hard about it. I can easily accept that explanation, so I hope this precludes a moderator having to bother typing it up.

I just don't think it should be that way is all.

Mike Cash said:
Since it is publicly stated that the ability to view invisible mode users is one of the benefits of donating, one could convincingly argue that the expectation of privacy is compromised and we can't kick too hard about it. I can easily accept that explanation, so I hope this precludes a moderator having to bother typing it up.
I just don't think it should be that way is all.
I don't mind that as a fact or expectation nearly so much as the feature of 'transparency' allowing admins, mods, & donators (presumably ?) to track user viewing and movements across the system. Why should it be a privilege or reward not only to evade an invisible request but to pinpoint my hideouts and spot me out all hours of the day and night ? :eek:

To answer the original question, I originally came on as invisible when we were plagued with one or two inconsiderate posters who were demanding and pestering until their questions were handled without delay. Thank goodness they are gone ! :=) But echoing Epigene to log in normally now would only show that I sometimes come on too much. :)

I know someone who used the invisible mode. It never occurred to me to ask her why, but I assumed, from the situation, that it was because if she was visible she would keep getting 'plagued' by private messages. I used the word 'plagued' jokingly, because the reason for that was because she was popular, and people might just want to 'chat via pm' - in a friendly way; but I always thought that she did it just so that she could browse the forum in peace without getting the little popup pm window all the time. 😌

The problem lies in the fact that, ostensibly, the behind-the-curtains staff (admin/moderator/etc) have beened screened or selected based on some sort of criteria and can reasonably be expected to behave in a responsible, ethical manner. The only screening process for donors to be allowed to peek through our monitors is that they open their wallets.

It can certainly give rise to speculation over ethics. After all, how can one help but think that anyone who would ***** out others' privacy a little would balk at whoring it out in its entirety?

I must agree with Mike.

To answer the question, I have been invisible in the past for the same reason Kinsao said her friend was. It was at a time when I was getting bombarded by PM's from someone I didn't want to feel obligated to reply to right then.

Oh, and that doesn't mean I don't like PM's. I like getting PM's very much. PM me anytime! :p

I'm a very curious type of person and whatever I find in my setting or in the message panel, I have to try every function.
When I found "Use Invisible Mode", I checked it and saw if I was really invisible, and found my username still showing as Currently Active Users. So I think my "invisible mode" is out of order. It's not that important anyways.

Kyoko_desu said:
I checked it and saw if I was really invisible, and found my username still showing as Currently Active Users. So I think my "invisible mode" is out of order.

Because it is your own computer/IP. Others can`t see you when you are on invisible mode.

oh yeees, I noticed that just now! Thank you anyways, ricecake san.
I really like your username, by the way!
Am I visible now?:joyful:

They are probably my closet fans doing it to read my posts.

If you want to fix the problem just change the look of jref because the only reason I post on this forum is because it's currently the only aestetically pleasing Japan forum on the internet and the slightest of color change or layout would leave me offline and unable to post.

Josh

leonmarino said:
There's an invisible mode!? 😲

i didnt know either there is invisible mode on this forum! never looked for it. but i do use it on other/local forums. i quess because those are small forums and sometimes i go there too often and do not post. but lately, i go there just as a guest.
anyway, i dont think i'll turn on that option on this forum. i don't get pm anyways lol

Back
Top Bottom