What's new

What personality type are you?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Many of you will be familiar with the four temperaments of Hippocrates and Jung's theory of psychological types, the basis of the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) which assumes four principal psychological functions (sensation, intuition, feeling, and thinking) and that one of these four functions is dominant for a person most of the time. Combining these four functions with eight preferences (paired in four categories: introversion/extroversion, sensing/intuition, thinking/feeling, judging/perception) results in 16 different personality types (see table below).

While the official test plus assessment amounts to USD 49.95, you can take a free test here. The test should take about ten minutes. My wife and I were quite surprised at the results. :)

I have always considered myself to be extrovert, but I turned out to be a "Mediator" (Diplomat, INFP-A):

• Introverted 67%
  • Intuitive 56%
  • Feeling 71%
  • Prospecting 65%
  • Assertive 57%

What personality type are you?

PS: this test should be mandatory for all members of JREF... :LOL:

The 16 personality types

Analysts

ArchitectsLogicianCommanderDebater
INTJ-A / INTJ-TINTP-A / INTP-TENTJ-A / ENTJ-TENTP-A / ENTP-T
Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything.Innovative inventors with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.Bold, imaginative and strong-willed leaders, always finding a way – or making one.Smart and curious thinkers who cannot resist an intellectual challenge.

Diplomats

AdvocateMediatorProtagonistCampaigner
INFJ-A / INFJ-TINFP-A / INFP-TENFJ-A / ENFJ-TENFP-A / ENFP-T
Quiet and mystical, yet very inspiring and tireless idealists.Poetic, kind and altruistic people, always eager to help a good cause.Charismatic and inspiring leaders, able to mesmerize their listeners.Enthusiastic, creative and sociable free spirits, who can always find a reason to smile.

Sentinels

LogisticianDefenderExecutiveConsul
ISTJ-A / ISTJ-TISFJ-A / ISFJ-TESTJ-A / ESTJ-TESFJ-A / ESFJ-T
Practical and fact-minded individuals, whose reliability cannot be doubted.Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones.Excellent administrators, unsurpassed at managing things – or people.Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.

Explorers

VirtuosoAdventurerEntrepreneurEntertainer
ISTP-A / ISTP-TISFP-A / ISFP-TESTP-A / ESTP-TESFP-A / ESFP-T
Bold and practical experimenters, masters of all kinds of tools.Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new.Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge.Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.

I think I did one of these ten years ago. My personality has shifted slightly. I don't remember those results to compare though!

Type"The Logician" (INTP-T)
Traits
Introverted -72%
Intuitive -69%
Thinking -54%
Prospecting -60%
Turbulent -74%
RoleAnalyst
StrategyConstant Improvement

I've taken the MBTI in various forms over the years (even an older version of this same test, I believe), but I took it again just for fun (and to make sure I was using the same criteria as everyone else). I don't put 100% stock into personality tests, but I've always felt this one gets things mostly right for me:

Type"The Campaigner" (ENFP-T)
Traits
Extraverted-61%
Intuitive-83%
Feeling-83%
Prospecting-81%
Turbulent-68%
RoleDiplomat
StrategySocial Engagement

Growing up, I was an INFP, but I've become quite a bit more outgoing since turning 30 or so, so in recent years the "I" has gradually shifted to an "E" (though I still enjoy spending time alone with a good book or some music).

(edit: Apparently the text in the table was only showing up on the dark theme. Hopefully I fixed it now.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I buy it but this is what I ended up with. I've had some experience in these types of personality assessments in a corporate environment but it never was much use.

Type "The Adventurer" (ISFP-A)
Traits
Introverted - 72%
Observant - 61%
Feeling - 58%
Prospecting - 61%
Assertive - 76%
RoleExplorer
StrategyConfident Individualism

I've found Gretchen Rubin's Four Tendencies to be more interesting and actionable because you can use it to understand other people as well.

Here is what I got:

Type "The Logistician" (ISTJ-T)
Traits
Introverted - 75%
Observant - 53%
Thinking - 53%
Judging - 58%
Turbulent - 56%
Role Sentinel
Strategy Constant Improvement

I'm not sure that I fully agree with the results though and I think that you have to expect that there is more deviation from standard than the write-up on the type would indicate.

And from the test that @mdchachi posted:

Dominant Tendency is: Questioner

The four tenancies test just seems too restrictive in the answers. They seem to give one answer that is totally out there and then three that are basically the same none of which seemed to really fit for me.

And from the test that @mdchachi posted:
Dominant Tendency is: Questioner
The four tenancies test just seems too restrictive in the answers. They seem to give one answer that is totally out there and then three that are basically the same none of which seemed to really fit for me.

I admit I also struggled with the Four Tendencies test and had difficulties in finding the most likely answer several times. My dominant tendency was "Upholder".

I admit I also struggled with the Four Tendencies test and had difficulties in finding the most likely answer several times. My dominant tendency was "Upholder".
It's less about the quiz and more about understanding yourself and others. By understand I mean how you respond to inner/expectations. Once you understand that you can use specific strategies to get things done. Either for yourself or for others.
If you're an upholder you're a minority but you are great at getting things done. You'll decide to do something, put it on your calendar and you'll actually do it. But you might find it frustrating to deal with others since most people aren't that way. Most are Obligers or Questioners. I'm a Questioner.

Back
Top Bottom