What's new

What does the word 'beauty' mean to you?

Anchyyy

後輩
22 May 2005
Well i've though about what beauty actually means to me a lot,
because my boyfriend sometimes says, that he is ugly, even tho he is not.
Well that made me set a few questions so i can see other people opinions
and thoughts about that :p

1. What asociation gives you the word beauty?

2. What does beauty mean to you?

3. Does someone have to look good, to notice him?

I think of the red rose when i hear the word beauty. I dunno why, but it has been like that for a while. It's the closest thing to perfection for me, even tho it's not. Nobody/nothing is.
Beauty doesn't mean a lot to me, because is a thing that passes away
with time. I don't really care anymore if i have a few kilograms to much. I acepted myself the way i am. The mind, the soul and the heart is what really mathers. As i said before, my boyfriend said that he's ugly. He is a bit overweight, but not too much. I like it that way. Once he asked me why am i with him, if there are guys that look way better than he does. I really didn't expect that question so i thought for a while and answered, that i'm not giving a damn about how he looks, i said that i'm inlove with his personality, with the man he is. He was surprised. I'm not an casual 15 year (almost 16 XD~) old girl, who wants to date the hotest guy in the city. I'm not saying any of you girls are like that, but believe it or not, most of my female friends are like that. And boys my age, they are just looking for good boobs and nice looking ***. Not all of them, but most of them. I'm really not giving a lot attention to the person's look. I mean, it's nice to see cool dressed people and such, but that doesn't make an
impression on me. And that is the answer to the third question. I have get
to know the person to judge him/her. The look tells you like nothing. Except maybe a few things about their lives, but not a lot about their inside being.

Woah that's all for now. Hope you'll share your thoughts about that 🙂

Beauty in a woman.............

I have always liked a woman 5 foot tall or less. Extra slim with a hint of a figure front & back and most inportant of all, long black silky hair.
Too bad I'm too old to deal with her if I could have and find her, LOL.

Uncle Frank

😊

Beauty is a subjective term. It is in the eye of the beholder. It is whatever pleases that eye.

Beauty is a subjective term. It is in the eye of the beholder. It is whatever pleases that eye.

You're probably right. But beauty has a lot of other meanings too. You can be beautiful inside and that can't please the eye. But it can please the heart 😊

I quite agree, ArmandV. Roseanne Barr would look damn good to a drunk in a bar at 2 a.m. Beauty is what you make of it.

:D

Well, to me beauty is...

I think something or someone that can get my attention and makes me focus on it/the person for a long time.

Something that keeps fascinating me for a long long time, with pretty colors. Smart or ambitious women are beautiful. Or mysterious women :)

3. Does someone have to look good, to notice him/her?

I don't want to date a supermodel, they are too busy with themselves anyways. Like the others mentioned, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many of my friends like big boobed, thin, pretty girls. But I think personality is the biggest "issue" when I like girls. I like funny, openminded, caring and interesting girls. Not some model-like dumb person. Intelligence and charisma is the most important thing imho! Looks are not THAT important :)

Some very deep and quite broad topic. . . like something in the old 'Serious Discussion' days of old ! 👍

The associations that my mind makes to beauty are many. When it comes to people I guess I'd have to say that beauty falls into two groups--the tangible and the untagible; the former being looks and the results of the activity of the personality.

To me, beauty is the conception of rightness or pleasantness--and as said before, can have many interpretations. Beauty is also socially instilled in us--or at least there is that pressure.

To 'notice someone' can have more than one nuance of meaning; I'm only guessing that the one in mind had been in the sense of between the sexes. In that case, for me, looking good is not the only thing that captures my attention, but is perhaps the more often sure attention grabber. That, however, is according to my natural attractions.

I agree with the idea--as you have mentioned Anchyyy--that beauty is more than only skin deep. There is a lot more that could be said about attraction though. . . :)

You're probably right. But beauty has a lot of other meanings too. You can be beautiful inside and that can't please the eye. But it can please the heart 😊

Here's another old saying:

Beauty is only skin-deep, but ugly goes right to the bone.

I quite agree, ArmandV. Roseanne Barr would look damn good to a drunk in a bar at 2 a.m. Beauty is what you make of it.
:D

Thankfully, I don't drink often and when I do, I still have full control of my faculties for that not to happen.

A businessman enters a tavern, sits down at the bar, and orders a double martini on the rocks. After he finishes the drink, he peeks inside his shirt pocket, then orders the bartender to prepare another double martini. After he finishes that it, he again peeks inside his shirt pocket and orders the bartender to bring another double martini. The bartender says, "Look, buddy, I'll bring ya' martinis all night long - but you gotta tell me why you look inside your shirt pocket before you order a refill." The customer replies, "I'm peeking at a photo of my wife. When she starts to look good, I know it's time to go home."
from lotsofjokes.com

I almost said "Oh~" with the tone of voice you make to a heartwarming story when I read this,

"I'm peeking at a photo of my wife."

That was a good one, leon!

Anchyyy, you're right about you not being a typical 15 yr-old girl. I think you have a much better idea about it than many women who are older than you.

I see beauty in a lot of things, but my mind gets blown away and sometimes brings tears in my eyes when I catch rare moments in nature, listen to specific music, words, or gentle sensibility in people.

Thank you Misa! :p And Leonmarino i was like ''wooo'' when i read that joke. Really a good one.

And thank you all for sharing your thoughts. It was interesting to read!

An interesting topic! 👍

I don't really have a specific association... it's really difficult to think of one thing that comes into my mind when I hear or see the word "beauty". I suppose... I have a vague impression of a "visual composition", kind of... swirly... and not static, but moving, and sort of sparky and dynamic at the same time, and of colours very vibrant and rich, yet still somehow restful, like velvet cushions... deep colours but somehow bright and yet gentle... and powerful while still being gentle... accompanied by sounds... I'm not even sure what kinds of sounds... those kind of like "nature" sounds (like wind, thunder, fire, the ocean, rustling leaves...) but somehow arranged and composed also, and melodious without being constrained... and sensations on the skin, contrasting textures, and a hint of rhythm and the body with a free and easy movement between stretch and attain...

... that's kind of what pops into my head when I think of "beauty".

It means to me happiness, and a kind of balance. I don't want to say something like "contentment" because that sounds too static, but I can only say... well, imagine a tightrope walker, right? To stay on the high wire, every muscle in your body has to be working, constantly. Each is pulling against or complementing the others in their various ways, and in fact your body is in a state of extreme tension, with all this dynamic interplay going on within every millimeter of you. And yet on the outside, the tightrope walker has to be in appearance in the most stable, balanced, controlled pose ever, and yet there is all this subtle and ever-changing interaction inside. And... well... experiencing beauty is... something like that. A kind of "perfection" that can still never come to a static rest, but which is "beautiful" in itself.

3. Does someone have to look good, to notice him?

I can quickly answer "No" to that! ^^ I would notice someone... if they looked particularly out of the ordinary. Having unusual appearance. It might be because they are extraordinarily good-looking, extraordinarily ugly, or simply because they are wearing something that draws the eye, or behaving in an odd way, or walking down the street naked, or otherwise doing something attention-drawing.

If you mean in terms of being attracted to someone for an actual relationship, it's definitely a personality that makes someone attractive to me. If he's handsome, I might notice him quickly, but if he's not a nice person I wouldn't be interested in a "relationship". Whereas the nice guy who doesn't look special, his personality would make him more attractive. :p

Back
Top Bottom