What's new

Visiting a Japanese Home

"I read the same book, buddy."
obviously not...
what about standing while drinking or eating then?
nm, cut to the chase
ttp://home.att.ne.jp/orange/star/homestay/culture.htm
pasted

"2,don't use soap and shampoo in the bath tub and don't pull out the plug of bath tub

Japanese people use soap and shampoo outside of bath tub.And we also wash our body outside of bath tub.We never use soap and shampoo in bath tub.We keep the bath tub full of only hot water.We use bath tub to warm body up.
Next,all of the family use hot water in the bath tub without changing it.So,you don't need to pull out a plug to abandon hot water.
There are lots of regional habits in Japan,so you had better reserch about Japanese habits.
HAVE A NICE STAY!
YOU CAN MAKE YOUR ORIGINAL TARAVEL PLAN!!"

I think the problem, folks, is this stupid use of the term "The Japanese" as though they were some monolithic entity.

There are many phrases I need to learn before I go. I think there's an important one that means something like, "I am inconveniencing you by entering" but I can't remember it.

You're probably thinking of "ojyamashimasu," but this is typically only used for entering...I doubt you'd want to use it over and over. There's also "osewa ni narimasu," which basically means, I will be in your care. Change the narimasu to the past tense when you leave. There are little things like saying "o saki ni" when you plan to do something ahead of everyone else, i.e. bathe, eat, etc., but this kind of thing is usually best picked up as you go. As I'm sure was already said, each family is different and will treat you differently. I've had several encounters with host families, and most are very understanding about gaijin not knowing typical home behavior.

When presenting a gift, say "tsumaranai mono desu ga" - "it's nothing impressive but..." even if the thing costs a hundred dollars. If you want to impress, brush up on your keigo, but I think they'd be more shocked/delighted by it than expect it.

As far as typical manners...there's no harm in taking every precaution...regardless of what your host family may do (of course, until they become comfortable around you, it's unlikely they'll be rude either). I got to the point where I'd burp randomly around my host parents, come home at 7 am, etc., and they paid no mind because we'd gotten used to each other.

Finally, let them know what you're doing, plans for the day, etc. Chances are, they'll be going to pretty great lengths to prepare an extra meal and show you around. If you made plans, let them know ahead of time. Have fun.

budd said:
"I read the same book, buddy."
obviously not...
what about standing while drinking or eating then?
nm, cut to the chase

The day I need you to tell me anything about Japan, I'll let you know.

And I'm afraid I don't know where the
"what about standing while drinking or eating then?
nm, cut to the chase"
thing came from.

I suppose you want to tell me that the Japanese also don't walk down the sidewalk while eating or drinking? Is that it?

mikecash said:
And it don't say nothing 'bout no Japanese being embarassed 'bout blowing their noses...
First person to dredge up a film clip demonstrating the Japanese horror of public sneezes gets a big fat shiny rep vote.

Bonus points if it's grainy black & white with no sound. :D

I'm so damned sick and tired of watching people cough up beachball-sized gobs of phlegm and spitting them on the road in front of me that I'm just about ready to go postal on them sometimes. Of course, no doubt Budd will be along shortly to inform me that the Japanese don't do such things.

I think that the phrase "i'm sorry for inconvienicing you" is "shitsurei shimasu" but im not entirely sure (if someone could help me out here i'd be grateful)

blessed said:
I think that the phrase "i'm sorry for inconvienicing you" is "shitsurei shimasu" but im not entirely sure (if someone could help me out here i'd be grateful)

Literally that means, "I will be rude." Jama shimasu literally means "I will be a hinderance."

Don't forget the "o". "Ojama shimasu".

"Shitsurei shimasu" is also useful when entering places such as offices and whatnot, depending on the situation.

Wow. I managed to say something on this thread so offensive that it got me some negative rep points. Can't imagine what, though. Maybe I bursted someone's rosy Japan bubble by pointing out that the Japanese not only have phlegm, they also have no compunctions about spitting it out in public.

mikecash said:
Don't forget the "o". "Ojama shimasu".

"Shitsurei shimasu" is also useful when entering places such as offices and whatnot, depending on the situation.

Wow. I managed to say something on this thread so offensive that it got me some negative rep points. Can't imagine what, though. Maybe I bursted someone's rosy Japan bubble by pointing out that the Japanese not only have phlegm, they also have no compunctions about spitting it out in public.
いい評判のポイントをあげたのですが、むだになってしまいました。

"And I'm afraid I don't know where the
"what about standing while drinking or eating then?"
no, THAT is it!
and what good would it do to explain it further?
if one comment zooms over that fat noggin, what good would another do?

"First person to dredge up a film clip demonstrating the Japanese horror of public sneezes gets a big fat shiny rep vote."
put some money with all that hot air, and i'll get right to work on it! otherwise forget it
finding these
Table Manners - No Nose Blowing
http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/050904/EXC_etiquette.shtml
blowing nose japan - Google 検索
without even trying

blessed wrote....
I think that the phrase "i'm sorry for inconvienicing you" is "shitsurei shimasu"

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks! 👍

budd said:
"And I'm afraid I don't know where the
"what about standing while drinking or eating then?"
no, THAT is it!
and what good would it do to explain it further?
if one comment zooms over that fat noggin, what good would another do?

What is it?

What's your point? If you're saying that the Japanese don't sashay down the sidewalk with food/drink in hand, partaking of same, then you're wrong. If you're saying they do, then you're right.

Please try to learn to express your thoughts more clearly.

And are you presenting an etiquette article from the Savannah Morning News as evidence that the Japanese never blow their noses in public? You may pass along to them the same words I have for you. The day I need them to tell me anything about Japan, I will not hesitate to contact them. I have visited Japan three times, and I guess I know what my own eyes have seen.

PaulTB said:
Sure you weren't even trying - that's easy to tell.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/fwjd1945/column-2/2004-02-18.html

That's a Japanese language site, by a Japanese person, spreading the damnedable lie that the Japanese blow their noses!!! In public!!!

Who the hell are they to contradict the Savannah Morning News?

Ewok85 said:
Its a talk about what makes you sneeze, starts off about pollen then I get bored :p
You should have given it a bit longer. I found it fascinating, in a weird way. It gives strategies on how to blow your nose in excrutiating detail. 😌

Useful tips like "If you're holding a sneeze back with your right hand it's difficult to casually get a tissue out of your right pocket with your left hand." :mad:

Try 'ko....'

(its kotoshi)

I'll have to give it a read in the morning then!
"Useful tips like "If you're holding a sneeze back with your right hand it's difficult to casually get a tissue out of your right pocket with your left hand.""
I'm left handed :D

"Sure you weren't even trying - that's easy to tell."
sure looks like i succeeded (from here)
wahahahahahaha! :D

"Please try to learn to express your thoughts more clearly."
i don't know how to speak stupid-know-it-all-gaijinese just yet... maybe if my girlfriend leaves town -- i could experience some of those tension [head]aches poster is suffering from :) and speak in his native language...
i was told by several native japanese that it was very bad to blow noses/puke... guess they are/were lying *dum-dum-de-dum*

@ original poster: sorry that it turned out like this. i was trying to illustrate that no one person's experience is the same (therefore it's best to get as much information from as many sources as possible).
but in some cases, "one can lead a horse to water, but one can't make an asp drink!"
the know-it-nothings in this thread must be mighty thirsty...
oh well. i will refrain from posting or viewing this thread from now on.
peace.

Every family is different, but there are certainly some constants or things that would USUALLY hold true. For example, I would think you'd have to take your shoes off in any Japanese home and using your chopsticks to clean your ears would be frowned upon. There are also some polite phrases that I'm sure any Japanese family would appreciate hearing. That's the kind of info I was after.

I don't know how this thread got out of hand, but arguing about whether or not it's ok to blow your nose in public in Japan is pretty silly. Relax. I've heard it's frowned upon, but I've also seen J-people do it. Hmmmm. Everyone's different, ne?

Back
Top Bottom