What's new

URGENT. How to ask Prom in Japanese?

HunterK

Registered
7 May 2018
Hi! So there is a foreign exchange student from Tokyo that I've gotten really close with over the school year. She is leaving soon but I think she would have an amazing experience going to an american prom. Does anyone know like a Japanese pun I could write down?
Also this is how google translated prom:
プロム
Is that accurate?
Thanks in advance!

There is no custom like "prom" in Japan, so there is no Japanese word for that, either. プロム is just the transliteration of "prom". 卒業パーティー, i.e., "graduation party" is sometimes used (for instance in George Lucas's American Graffiti, if my memory is correct), but I think she would be able to understand プロム since she would know this English word.

Ohhh okay cool thank you! I think I'll try and write that underneath a pun in English I guess

When asking people to prom it is fairly "traditional" to have a sign with some kind of pun. At least in my part of the US

Thank you. That's very interesting. Could you share some examples, please?

May I respectfully suggest you don't do something stupid here. Like this idjit.
Florida high school student posts wildly racist prom proposal to Snapchat | Blogs
Or these even stupider copy cats.
Michigan Couple Copies Racist 'Picking Cotton' 'Promposal' That Got Florida Teen Banned from Dance

Here's something that you can use. My compliments.
Roses are red, violets are blue, I would like to go to プロム with you.
Or if you want to do it all in Japanese.
バラは赤くてスミレは紫で、一緒にプロムにいきませんか?

Attachments

• screen_shot_2018-04-24_at_5.43.50_pm.png
    screen_shot_2018-04-24_at_5.43.50_pm.png
    563.9 KB · Views: 469
Hi! So there is a foreign exchange student from Tokyo that I've gotten really close with over the school year. She is leaving soon but I think she would have an amazing experience going to an american prom. Does anyone know like a Japanese pun I could write down?
Also this is how google translated prom:
プロム
Is that accurate?
Thanks in advance!

Why don't you just man up and ask her nicely and directly? Maybe she would be very much appreciated. Don't stall man, maybe someone might ask her and she says yes before you do.

Back
Top Bottom