What's new

Translation of a verse: "帰れなくて忘れたくて「ゆらめく」ことのない愛を君に".

tanzami

Registered
13 Jul 2016
Hi, there.

I've just started trying to translate the meaning of the lyrics of some of my favorite Japanese tunes.
This time the turn is for "Yurameki", a true visual-kei classic from the iconic rock band Dir en grey.

I have a problem translating the very first verse of the song: "帰れなくて忘れたくて「ゆらめく」ことのない愛を君に".

When I try to find the translation of what it seems to be a whole verse (or maybe it isn't? From what I've been reading, Kyo may like to write like two or three different verses in a same line, rather than writing one verse below the other and so on) the first thing I have notice of are some meaningful chunks like:

"「ゆらめく」ことのない愛": "a love without quivering".
"君に": "(something) to/into you".
"帰れなくて忘れたくて": "I want to return, but... I want to forget, but..."

So the thing is that I have problems trying to reunite this chunks into a whole meaninful sentence. Particularly with that を in between "「ゆらめく」ことのない愛" and "君に". Which is its function there? And how can I translate that detached "君に" in the end of the verse?

Link for the full song is here:
Link for the full kanji and romaji lyrics is here: JpopAsia - the online asian media resource

Thank you!

The reason we're asking is because を is one of the most basic and fundamental elements that all beginning learners encounter very early in the process of learning Japanese. We get the impression you're trying to translate a language you haven't even started to learn yet. This would be like me saying I'm translating Spanish and asking what "el" means. You would naturally think I have skipped a lot of very important things necessary to the task.

Back
Top Bottom