What's new

Thinking of burning the Koran

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read "The Kite Runner," a novel by Khaled Hosseini. Excellent book. A gritty, realistic view of Afghanistan from the pre-Soviet era through the Taliban. Great plot and characters. Good English-writing by an author who learned English as a second language.

Where is the insult here ? Okashiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !! When people understood each other you came to break the good coversation !!

Right, because calling an entire race "terrorists" really makes for great discourse. Seriously, I find it disturbing that you'd claim that this discussion is something to be proud of.

Then try to come here in the middle East and compare what you learned about it with what you see with your own eyes ! Okashiiiiiiii !!

What makes you think I haven't and that I don't have any Arab friends? This is precisely the type of response I've come to expect from you.

Calling it Academic doesn't mean it's true !

I might not be right all the time but I wouldn't really go out and make statements like "you don't know anything," with the one line responses that you do. In my work I collect facts and views, then try to understand them. After a decade I think I've seen most of the major arguments out there. When you go and say stuff like the "UN only serves western interests" you're not stating a fact, just your viewpoint which is highly debatable.

it's weird that you didn't even ensure from Afghani people who i usually talk to !

So you talk to Afghan people. So do I. So what, that doesn't prove anything at all. If you're so confident about what you know, then refute my posts on the subject.

Well,at least i'm better than you when it comes to the Middle East issue ! but i need to educate my self in some sides,I don't know everything.

This is precisely the type of statements I'm talking about. I understand your view and many of the views underlying it. Yet your responses are usually one line and are highly propagandist.

I just read "The Kite Runner," a novel by Khaled Hosseini. Excellent book. A gritty, realistic view of Afghanistan from the pre-Soviet era through the Taliban. Great plot and characters. Good English-writing by an author who learned English as a second language.

Normally I'm not a fan of fiction, but I think its a book that really offers an good introduction into the history and aspects of Afghan culture. If you're interested, you should check out Sarah Chaynes "The Punishment of Virtue." Its a bit older but it offers a good view into the society and trends through its history from a first hand view.

Last edited:
The same goes for you Pavel. In one thread you agonize the loss of your friend because of intolerance to your atheism. And yet in this thread you're so happy to inflict the same grevious intolerance on others. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I show intolerance to those who think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. RolandtheHeadless maybe your friend, and I respect the fact you protect him, but at the same time he's not one of my friend. And when he talks bullshit, I say it like it and tell him to shut the **** up. So, your choices are either to like it and move on, or not like it and start a argument with me.

I show intolerance to those who think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. RolandtheHeadless maybe your friend, and I respect the fact you protect him, but at the same time he's not one of my friend. And when he talks bullshit, I say it like it and tell him to shut the **** up. So, your choices are either to like it and move on, or not like it and start a argument with me.
And you are the supreme arbiter of what is bullshit and what is not, eh? Get real. Your opinion carries the same weight as that of anyone here, it doesn't count for ****. What counts is the arguments you can make and that self-righteous attitude of yours demonstrates your ignorance perfectly. You are, quite evidently, oblivious of how an argument ought to be constructed and what are the unwritten rules of argumentation. What you say does not draw from logic and I am, and no doubt many other, under the impression that you have no intention of starting to comply with the dictates of logic. You misinterpreted grossly the meaning of 'serious', as it does not only mean serious as in 'grave', it also refers to a type of style befitting of intellectual debates. Assuming that you are correct and following that assumption calling the arguments voiced by others bullshit is fatal to your own claims and it corrodes away the edge of any stillborn arguments that you have put forward.

You are governed entirely by emotions and you cannot hold their reins. I suggest you cool down a bit first and then return to the issue at hand viewing it from an objective perspective.

And you are the supreme arbiter of what is bullshit and what is not, eh? Get real. Your opinion carries the same weight as that of anyone here, it doesn't count for ****. What counts is the arguments you can make and that self-righteous attitude of yours demonstrates your ignorance perfectly. You are, quite evidently, oblivious of how an argument ought to be constructed and what are the unwritten rules of argumentation. What you say does not draw from logic and I am, and no doubt many other, under the impression that you have no intention of starting to comply with the dictates of logic. You misinterpreted grossly the meaning of 'serious', as it does not only mean serious as in 'grave', it also refers to a type of style befitting of intellectual debates. Assuming that you are correct and following that assumption calling the arguments voiced by others bullshit is fatal to your own claims and it corrodes away the edge of any stillborn arguments that you have put forward.
You are governed entirely by emotions and you cannot hold their reins. I suggest you cool down a bit first and then return to the issue at hand viewing it from an objective perspective.

Fine, Mr. Knowledge, you are better in arguments then me. Happy? Now, have you even read what RolandtheHeadless wrote in his recent posts? Obviously you didn't, because if you did, you wouldn't say half the stuff you say right now. You can't stand me saying the truth? Well, sorry then. Maybe I should have said: "Go ahead, RolandtheHeadless, bash every religion. Go ahead, burn some books. I got a better idea, how about in the future you'll burn some churches and mosques? Huh, what do you say?" If you really think that I will say anything to justify him, well, sir, you got it all wrong. I'm not going to justify any one on anything.

Fine, Mr. Knowledge, you are better in arguments then me. Happy? Now, have you even read what RolandtheHeadless wrote in his recent posts? Obviously you didn't, because if you did, you wouldn't say half the stuff you say right now. You can't stand me saying the truth? Well, sorry then. Maybe I should have said: "Go ahead, RolandtheHeadless, bash every religion. Go ahead, burn some books. I got a better idea, how about in the future you'll burn some churches and mosques? Huh, what do you say?" If you really think that I will say anything to justify him, well, sir, you got it all wrong. I'm not going to justify any one on anything.

My skill in creating arguments is extraneous to the discussion. I read all of what he said and I found it funny. I have no admiration or respect or anything for any author of any book, with, probably, the exception of Bernard Cornwell and maybe Sir Walter Scott, haha. I was raised in a Christian country, albeit post-communist, so I was pretty much free to develop my own views, and the truth is that I don't care about the Bible. Not in the least. Do you expect me to enter a state of extreme mental anguish when I read what RolandtheHeadless says about any of these sacred books? Och, please. All the **** we face in the world is because of people with very strong views on petty ****, which all holy books are full of. Plus, let me add, RolandtheHeadless is evidently taking the piss, and especially out of you currently. If that suits you, fine. I'm sure it is entertaining to many and among them myself. Your approval or anything of that sort is completely unneeded. What would we do with it anyway?

My skill in creating arguments is extraneous to the discussion. I read all of what he said and I found it funny. I have no admiration or respect or anything for any author of any book, with, probably, the exception of Bernard Cornwell and maybe Sir Walter Scott, haha. I was raised in a Christian country, albeit post-communist, so I was pretty much free to develop my own views, and the truth is that I don't care about the Bible. Not in the least. Do you expect me to enter a state of extreme mental anguish when I read what RolandtheHeadless says about any of these sacred books? Och, please. All the **** we face in the world is because of people with very strong views on petty ****, which all holy books are full of. Plus, let me add, RolandtheHeadless is evidently taking the piss, and especially out of you currently. If that suits you, fine. I'm sure it is entertaining to many and among them myself. Your approval or anything of that sort is completely unneeded. What would we do with it anyway?

Yeah, but you forgot one tiny thing. I'm an atheist. So don't compare me to Christians and Jews and Muslims and whatever else people come up with for deities. I live my life by my own rules, but I have certain level. I won't do any harm to any books or say anything against someone else's religion, since, quite frankly, I don't know anything about it. And there is a certain thing that I see you lack as well, and that respect. RolandtheHeadless needs to learn to respect someone else's views. Same goes to you. I know that I have zero tolerance to bullshit. But at least I know what I need and should not respect. And don't reply, since your views on things are just approval of what I say. Sayonara, it was nice to know ya...

Yeah, but you forgot one tiny thing. I'm an atheist. So don't compare me to Christians and Jews and Muslims and whatever else people come up with for deities. I live my life by my own rules, but I have certain level. I won't do any harm to any books or say anything against someone else's religion, since, quite frankly, I don't know anything about it. And there is a certain thing that I see you lack as well, and that respect. RolandtheHeadless needs to learn to respect someone else's views. Same goes to you. I know that I have zero tolerance to bullshit. But at least I know what I need and should not respect. And don't reply, since your views on things are just approval of what I say. Sayonara, it was nice to know ya...

Arrogance. You happen to have a lot of it.

I won't do any harm to any books or say anything against someone else's religion, since, quite frankly, I don't know anything about it. And there is a certain thing that I see you lack as well, and that respect. RolandtheHeadless needs to learn to respect someone else's views. Same goes to you.

Pot, meet Kettle. I think you've both got something in common:

"You" are those who defend the muslim acts while every human being around sees what they are really doing. The majority of muslims aren't terrorist, eh? Well, news flash, the majority of the terrorists are muslims.... And just for the record the prophet Muhammad endorse child molestation and incest. So yeah, I think I got the full right to say what I say.

I guess I do tend to get disrespectful at times.

I'm disrespectful of religious fanatics, both Muslim and Christian, who would kill, and encourage the other to kill, all over a lousy book. I know these books, these Bibles and Korans, are holy to some people; but when people are threatening to kill other people over them, then maybe the book does deserve to be burned -- or at least mocked a wee bit.

There's a lot of Islamophobia in my country today, and it disgusts me and makes me disrespectful. I'm also disgusted and disrespectful of Muslims who engage in or approve of terrorism. Or anyone who thinks there on a mission from God/Allah.

And I'm a bit disrespectful of the whole idea that a book or other thing should be considered sacred, even to slight attempts at humor. I still have a Bible that was given to me at age 12 on my Catholic confirmation. It has an illustration of Jesus looking to heaven with a halo over his head. This Jesus has white skin, light brown hair, blue eyes, and the facial features of a northern European. Is a Bible that includes an inaccurate, impossible image of Jesus sacred?

To me the truth is more sacred: Jesus could not have looked like that because he was from a Middle Eastern people.

If there is truth in the words of the Bible or Koran, then it's those WORDS that are sacred, not the medium in which they are recorded. In past times, books (and scrolls) were the only ways of recording words, so maybe they deserved sacredness. That is no longer true now, when there are many forms of media for preserving words. The idiot preacher could try to burn every Koran book in the world, but we could still read the Koran's words on our computer screens.

This thread hasn't been about the topic for a while... Thread closed. Please try to stay on topic or otherwise use PM/ open a new thread/ or search for a thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom