Japan Map - Saitama Prefecture Map - Map of Japan
Pictures of Japan - Kyushu Picture - Kumamoto Photo
A Day in Kyoto

Internet Suicide Pacts in Japan

From Shizuko Mishima,
Your Guide to Japan for Visitors.
"article from Japan
Oct 11 2003

In recent months, Internet suicide pact cases have been frequently reported in Japan. A group of people who acquainted through the Web plan and commit suicide together. Over 20 people have committed suicide in suicide pacts since Feb. this year, and most of them are Japanese youngesters.There is a series of suicide pacts which people fill a room or a car with carbon monoxide from charcoal in portable stoves.テ

It's said that access to websites for people who want to kill themselves are increasing.Suicidal or depressive people in Japan tend not to know where to go to get help.テ Apparently, establishment of the support system for suicidal people is urgent."

In another article I read it also claimed that suicide amongst teens in Japan is a "popular activity" where a group gather, and they all decide to suicide together. Suicide is not an activity, what makes these teens think of as it is?! I don't even understand why a group of people would take their lives in such a simple manner. Internet should not be exploited for uses as such, using internet for such purposes is misusing it. Please if somebody feels the same way, say something, because somebody who is considering suicide could read this, and this could help them realise that what they are doing is not only useless, but there is no meaning and rationing to their actions.

Suicide is poorly dealt with almost everywhere, and suicide in Japan has had it's mythopoeticism since Mount Mihara, and the Black Forrest legend... I wouldn't call something that results from lack of attention from the medical community and societal scorn an 'activity'... even if it seems to be...

Back
Top Bottom