• Expe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

arpgme

Sempai
6 Sep 2005
what is the best free scripting language ?
This is what I look for in a scripting language :
* Free
* Reliable
* Extensible
* Adequate-to-good in performance
* Easy to install
* Very,Very,Powerful

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

C, C++ and Pascal are not scripting languages but "real" programming languages.

But to answer your question: It depends on what you want to do. For client-side actions there is not much choice but JavaScript. If you wnat to do some server-side stuff, you don't have much choice either. It depends on what your provider allows.

If that is no question (maybe you have your own server) then just use Perl. It's powerful, comparable easy to learn and well documented. If Perl isn't powerful enough for you then take Lisp (very hard to learn).

If your only concern is speed, use C.

Cheers, Jan

AJAX is a mix of using JavaScript, XML, and something like PHP to create instant and flashy web apps, I beleive its more or less like that. What are you trying to make/program?

I am trying to make a chating robot like J-Bot.I want the chating robot to be downloadable and I want it to be very conversational.

Such programs already exist and it's not easy to write such a thing. Have a look at "eggdrop". It is an IRC Bot and it can talk very much.

i`ve heard python is the best scripting language, is it true, I scripted in it for a year only.

That would make sence, but I am still a newbie.I used it for a year and not know a thing about python.

Do you want to make a smart or dumb chat-bot? A dumb chat-bot, a program that responds only to basic text input, should be easy with your 1 year of knowledge. You might have alot of If-Then statements though...

See, thats alot harder. It would have to have a dumb base, like if I type "I like cheese." it runs through a condition and responds, "Cheese is stinky."
But then it would have to be able to understand parts of a sentence, so if you say "I like cheese" the program would go "I" so the're saying something concerning themselves, "like" positive with some sort of definition that was understandable by the program, and "cheese" the subject matter, the point of the sentence. With all this a smart bot then has to generate a unique answer bases on its programming, so...
osistlk: I like cheese.
smartofartobot: Cheese smells so I don't like it.
This is explained as it were somewhat easy but my advice would be to build your way up from dumb bots to smart bots.

the easiest way to create a bot with unique responses would be to have arrays of sentence structures and bits of phrases and words selected either using random functions or determined by words that the user inputs.

If you still consider yourself a novice, I would say that a smart bot is a bit too ambitious. you should try to think of different ways to create unique responses to user input, as well as what kinds of variables you'd like to store (user names, age, whatever) to make the bot seem "smarter." Worry more about how you want to do something, and don't tie yourself down to any one language first.

Then use an array of bytes, Python should have that feature...
Find the function that puts each letter as a byte in an array of bytes so the program can string them into words.

Well you won't find it like that, learn about arrays and how to use them and then you should know how to put bytes in it...

Well it depends on the job your doing now doesn't it?
If I were throwing together a website PhP is what I would use. If I were making a game C++(Direct X). If I was feeling old school and wanted to have some fun in a nostalgic sense Pascal :). If I was developing a web application Ruby On Rails is the weapon of choice. Finally if I am feeling really lazy and want to throw together an application for a nagging friend or random person then Visual Basic.

Oh and last point if I am feeling a little suicidal has to be assembly :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom