先輩
8 Oct 2002
Saw the "Last Samurai", this weekend

My comments
-> battle scenes are very realistic, especially for the violent realism
-> some of it, hard to believe they re-created the action so realistically
-> it can be hard to watch
-> the re-created streets in Edo (Tokyo), which they would have shown
more of the culture and people of Edo (Tokyo), like the night-life back then !
-> Ninja attack seemed a caricature
-> has a Hollywood ending

Originally posted by arnadstephen
My comments
-> battle scenes are very realistic, especially for the violent realism

Saw the movie last weekend (at Roppongi Hills, fantastic cinema, for anyone who`s in Tokyo). Some battle scenes are epic indeed.

-> the re-created streets in Edo (Tokyo), which they would have shown more of the culture and people of Edo (Tokyo), like the night-life back then !

Impressive scenes of street life, although a Japanese friend commented that the landscape did not look Japanese at all (movie was shot in New Zealand after all).

-> Ninja attack seemed a caricature

I fully agree!

-> has a Hollywood ending

Some scenes were too Hollywoodesque, eg the final sequence with the Meiji tenno refusing to sign the treaty with the US, but also the battle scene when the attacking samurai were mowed down by Gatling guns and the Imperial troops bowing to the dying Kazumoto, too much pathos for my taste.

Watanabe Ken acted splendidly. Definitely a movie I am going to watch again.

Is there any beautiful japanese landscape?

That would be the only reason I'll watch this movie...

I've seen the movie also and I think it has a good story, good music score and has a realistic atmosphere. The only thing I didn't like is that I think Tom Cruise was too much in the movie as a total and he played too much the hero. My overall opinion: it's a good movie to see.

"The movie is too long. I think Brave Heart is better."

"Braveheart" running length: 177 minutes
"The Last Samurai" running length: 144 minutes
:)

When I say "long", it means they could have made it shorter. I think they talked too much in the end. I dunno, maybe some people like to know more about Confucianism. For me, the last 30 mins of the movie became a drag.

I didn't think it was too long, I liked it a lot. I agree about the end scene with the Meiji Emporer being a bit too Hollywood-esque, but I thought the final battle scene with the gattling guns and all the troops bowing in respect to Katsumoto was great.

Unfortunately you won't see any beautiful Japanese landscapes in film because, and it pains me to say it, there aren't any beautiful Japanese landscapes left. They've all been covered in concrete and high tension power lines, so they had to film most of the movie in New Zealand. Very beautiful New Zealand landscapes are in the movie though!

I have seen that movie..And what a great movie...I mean its unbeliavable that there were warriors in the world that used to think like that... Ex. When the Guy's(who Tom Cruise killed)wife said that she wasnt angry with him because they had a batle and he won...that's was fair...
Very Very NICE!!

Back
Top Bottom