What's new

Research Study on Japanese Language Acquisition: Looking for Participants

semisemi

Registered
10 Jun 2022
Hello!

I realize this is an unconventional type of post for this site, but I hope people are willing to read.

I'm a PhD student researching Japanese Language acquisition and the language choices multilingual speakers make in conversation, and I'm looking for anyone who can speak Japanese to participate in a 10-15 minute online study!
To participate, you must be 18 years or older, and comfortable holding a conversation in Japanese. I'm looking for all Japanese speakers: native speakers (who are originally from the Kanto region of Japan), second language speakers, and heritage speakers!
The study itself is a language background questionnaire, followed by a conversation simulation task, in which you will hear simple conversation questions, and be recorded while answering them. Unfortunately, there is no monetary compensation for participating.
If you are interested in participating, here is the link to the study: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3l6mNFqMtJ3u194

I would really, really appreciate anyone's participation! Feel free to comment with questions, and/or suggestions for other communities/online groups that I could reach out to! Thank you so much!

Semisemi-san,

I took your language evaluation and I would like to give some suggestions as to how to make the instructions a little clearer. Make it clear that a question will be asked, the person then clicks on the screen, and they can begin recording their answer as soon as the picture of a microphone appears. The student then clicks on the screen, which causes the picture of the microphone to disappear, also ends the recording of that particular answer. (I didn't record anything on the first several questions because I hadn't figured out your system yet.)

Hello!

I realize this is an unconventional type of post for this site, but I hope people are willing to read.

I'm a PhD student researching Japanese Language acquisition and the language choices multilingual speakers make in conversation, and I'm looking for anyone who can speak Japanese to participate in a 10-15 minute online study!
To participate, you must be 18 years or older, and comfortable holding a conversation in Japanese. I'm looking for all Japanese speakers: native speakers (who are originally from the Kanto region of Japan), second language speakers, and heritage speakers!
The study itself is a language background questionnaire, followed by a conversation simulation task, in which you will hear simple conversation questions, and be recorded while answering them. Unfortunately, there is no monetary compensation for participating.
If you are interested in participating, here is the link to the study: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3l6mNFqMtJ3u194

I would really, really appreciate anyone's participation! Feel free to comment with questions, and/or suggestions for other communities/online groups that I could reach out to! Thank you so much!
Sorry for nitpicking, but there are several grammatical mistakes or awkward expressions in the Japanese part of the front page.
e.g.
身近い人物 --> 身近人物
そこに、参加者は「親友」から多数の質問を訊かれ --> そこ、参加者は「親友」から多数の質問を訊かれ

Most of them are understandable, but 研究の前に調査をとっていただきますが doesn't make much sense. Furthermore, 参加者の答えを参加者本人に追跡できることもありません。means "you cannot track your responses (on the survey)", i.e., "you cannot see your responses". It should be 参加者の答えと参加者本人を結びつけることもありません。. I would use 参加者の答えから参加者本人を特定することもありません。, though.

I was a little confused because I thought the point was to see how people respond to certain input, but it's mostly just questions that prompt a specific response. It felt more like a basic level quiz, which was different from what I expected.

Semisemi,

I'd like to give some clearer advice on how to improve your website.

Put three types of buttons on your pages:

Listen to an example.
Begin recording
End recording.

Next, You need to put some context in, before your examples. In your examples, we are suddenly hit with very short examples, spoken very quickly, and we just do not have enough time to figure out what is going on. Do what I do: always preface an example with something like, "Next, let's talk about going to the post office." Giving context to your examples before the person actually listens to the example will greatly improve you getting accurate answers.

I was a little confused because I thought the point was to see how people respond to certain input, but it's mostly just questions that prompt a specific response. It felt more like a basic level quiz, which was different from what I expected.

Sorry for nitpicking, but there are several grammatical mistakes or awkward expressions in the Japanese part of the front page.
e.g.
身近い人物 --> 身近人物
そこに、参加者は「親友」から多数の質問を訊かれ --> そこ、参加者は「親友」から多数の質問を訊かれ

Most of them are understandable, but 研究の前に調査をとっていただきますが doesn't make much sense. Furthermore, 参加者の答えを参加者本人に追跡できることもありません。means "you cannot track your responses (on the survey)", i.e., "you cannot see your responses". It should be 参加者の答えと参加者本人を結びつけることもありません。. I would use 参加者の答えから参加者本人を特定することもありません。, though.

THANK YOU, everyone, for your input and feedback on language and task design--I will be sure to incorporate what I can into the study (I unfortunately can't add buttons because of software limitations), and will definitely remember this advice while designing my next study.

Back
Top Bottom