What's new

Question about MEXT Scholarship & student visa

greenaway

Registered
2 Feb 2016
I've read somewhere that the student visa granted to MEXT Scholarship grantees is for 2 years. Is this true?

I got selected for the scholarship and I'm supposed to leave this April 2016, however, my passport will expire on June 2017. So that means that if the student visa is for two years (so until April 2018), my passport will expire before the student visa is up.

What should I do in this case? I'm not sure if the embassy in my country will give me a 2-year student visa if my passport will expire next year. I've made an appointment to get a new passport but I won't get it until March 26 :( and that's waaayy too near the departure date on April. Has anyone here had an experience with this? What should I do?

The embassy in my country is closed now so I thought of asking around here in case anyone can help. I'm just starting to get worried. :( Will I not be given the scholarship because of these issues? :( Thanks in advance! (And sorry if my explanation is confusing!)

I've heard cases that one may proceed to get a new passport and then show BOTH new passport & valid visa (on the expired passport) upon entry to Japan. Those two do not necessarily have to be on the same document.
In my country when we renew passport, the expired passport will be returned to us after a cut is being made on the cover (so that you will not be able to use it anymore), not sure if this is applicable in your case.
Anyway, I would still suggest you to verify if this is doable from the officials (e.g. the embassy) though.

Back
Top Bottom