What's new

News Price increases in Japan

It's a good start, but the government could have been smarter by encouraging farmers to grow crops for humans rather than for animals. Part of the cause of the tight food supply is that people are eating too much meat and dairy, which require much greater use of crops than if the crops were directly eaten by humans.

Things are unlikely to change with an agromafia like JA in place and a ruling party staunchly supporting their lobby of farmers and fishers (who generate 0.9% of Japan's GDP). They had decades to adapt to changing dietary habits; meanwhile, food self-sufficiency dropped from 60% in 1960 to currently 37%. They'd rather pay rice farmers not to grow crops than reform Japan's agriculture.

This is an eye-opening read by CIGS (not tobacco-related but the Canon Institute for Global Studies), which looks not only at the current crisis in Ukraine but also at the potential implications of a Taiwan contingency.

if i remember right, china and japan aren't good friends and china wants Taiwan anyway. so if (when) china made a move on Taiwan and blocked the strait, was it 1/10th of Japan's population would die of famine? unless they anticipate china's move and start growing sweet potatoes.

don't suppose anyone knows how to cook a sweet potato a thousand ways?

Well, here's some good news: not EVERYTHING in Japan is more expensive than abroad. 😅

iPhone fans in Japan don't have to dig as deep into their pockets, with a new survey showing that they sell for about 20 percent cheaper in their country than the rest of the world. The direct price of iPhones in Japan is the lowest in 34 countries and regions worldwide, according to a survey released by the Moving Mobile and Mobility Forward research institute on June 14. "iPhones are high-end if you look at the world, but the sales situation in Japan where they are being sold at such an inexpensive price can be said to be unusual," said Hideaki Yokota, an executive analyst of the Moving Mobile and Mobility Forward research institute. As iPhone prices in Japan have not changed amid the recent rapid depreciation of the yen, they are getting relatively cheaper than other countries.

I bought gas today, same place as always. It was tagged as 162 on the sign (regular), and it was maybe 158 a month ago. Even from months back, I don't think it has moved much.

Kerosene, on the other hand, which we use for hot water (and thru the winter some of our heating), certainly had some increases.

I have to verify with my wife (she maintains the most elaborate Excel-based 家計簿), but I am pretty sure that our electricity and gas bills have increased significantly over the past few months.

As it looks like I will be making a trip to Japan I am thinking about trying to snag a new camera lens while there, taking advantage of the low yen compared to the USD.
Besides the 'kit' one that came with the camera, the other two lenses I have for it I bought used--think 'near mint' condition (still branded same as the body). The grading of used lenses is supposed to be good (strict). They're not all that much cheaper, maybe only 5% or a little more off new for something in the best condition, but sometimes near new can be perfectly good, or for a lesser grading the glass is fine, but there's some kind of handling mark(s) somewhere on the barrel.

Last edited:
Price note

It seems that the prices of processed meat foods, which are often imported, are rising.
The prices of vegetables etc. are normal seasonal prices.
The prices of wheat and cooking oil have increased slightly.
The main food, rice, is as usual.

Last edited:
That's listing the station I use at ¥165. With a fill, you get a receipt with a QR code that's good for ¥3 discount the next purchase. I'll guess that 165 is the pre-discount price.
The gas station in my neighborhood is expensive at 172 yen.
I get a small discount when I use the QR code of the app.
Cars are refueled once every three months, so I'm worried about the price of gasoline around August.

As the Nissan "notebook" which I bought last year is an electric car with gasoline generator, it runs 700km or more by one refueling.
As the recent car is hybrid, the rise in price of crude oil does not seem to have influence.
As the hot water supply system is EcoCute in my home, and the kitchen is an IH system again, it is thiol electrification.
I buy two pieces of Solar panels of 175w for a telework and charge a large-capacity battery charger (for the camping) and use the electricity for a PC.
I build more Solar panels for an air conditioner in summer and am considering whether you add battery.

Of Fukuoka life is more comfortable than Tokyo the country.:giggle:

Make that wheat, not gohan. (I'm glad sake rice is not affected).

Definitely the right step toward food self-reliance.
Where I live the farmers change from rice to wheat every other year. Not all farmers do it though, but in the harvest of rice, I'll see if the planting of wheat will increase.
So far the two main types of flour (Japanese ) the prices seems to be stable. Cosmos prices are reasonable .

That's the kind of daily alarmist news in a country not used to inflation (with many products that see price increases reported on morning TV).

Schools switching from fresh fruit to jelly:

Inflation even impacts the PM's approval rating (but no worries, the 'ruling camp' will still be winning comfortably in Sunday's general election).

According to Mizuho, Japanese households should expect an additional 50,000 JPY in annual spending over the 2022 calendar year.

Back
Top Bottom