What's new

Prefectural ranking: Ibaraki back at the bottom

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
The Brand Research Institute has released the results of its 2021 online survey regarding the allure and appeal of Japan's 47 prefectures.

The Top five:
  1. Hokkaido
  2. Kyoto
  3. Okinawa
  4. Tokyo
  5. Osaka
The seven least attractive:
Ibaraki Prefecture's success in promoting its beauty and charms was short-lived. The prefecture returned to its familiar bottom-basement ranking in a survey this year of "attractive prefectures." For seven consecutive years until 2019, Ibaraki had ranked last among the nation's 47 prefectures for allure and appeal in the online survey conducted by Brand Research Institute, a consulting agency for regional brands based in Tokyo's Minato Ward. But after its promotional campaign, Ibaraki moved up to 42nd last year, relinquishing the "least attractive" title to neighboring Tochigi Prefecture in the northern Kanto region. The latest rankings, which were released on Oct. 9, put Ibaraki back in the bottom again. Tochigi climbed the chart to reach 41st.

Hokkaido kept its "most attractive" prefecture title for the 13th straight year, followed by Kyoto, Okinawa and Tokyo. Osaka Prefecture gained its highest-ever ranking, at fifth. Brand Research Institute asked respondents 89 questions in the survey conducted in July, including if they recognize each prefecture, if they had visited each prefecture, and if they are willing to visit each prefecture. About 35,000 people responded.

Tochigi Prefecture came 41st in the 2021 list announced by the Brand Research Institute Inc. on 9 October. Today's morning news reported that prefectural representatives (missed who exactly) consider suing the institute.

A statement from Tochigi Gov. Tomikazu Fukuda read, "Regardless of the results, we will work on strengthening our brand by refining local resources and proactively engaging with messaging in three strategic fields: selling prefectural products, attracting tourists, and encouraging people to settle here."
Tochigi Prefecture launched its own branding policies in 2016 as part of plans to raise its 35th place marked in 2015 to 25th in 2020. Instead, it was 46th in 2016 -- one above rock bottom. Despite tracking slightly higher at 43rd in 2017, 44th in 2018, and 43rd in 2019, it hit the 47th floor in 2020. When he heard Tochigi was last, Gov. Fukuda reportedly failed to hide his shock, saying, "I couldn't help shouting 'What?!'"

The seven least attractive:
  • Tochigi
  • Yamaguchi
  • Tokushima
  • Gunma
  • Saitama
  • Saga
  • Ibaraki
The good thing about being a sake fan is that almost every prefecture in Japan has something to offer. ;)
I can think of at least 2-3 incredible sake breweries from each of these seven prefectures, so I'd never in a million years think of them as "unattractive."

On a more serious note, I kind of sympathize with the governor's reaction, and I'd be questioning the point of releasing this sort of list, too, if I were in that position. I mean, for one thing, so much of it is out of their control, based on geographic factors, general stereotypes and preconceptions, etc. etc. Of course a landlocked, suburban/rural area north of Tokyo that isn't Tokyo (Gunma/Saitama/Tochigi/Ibaraki) is going to be seen as "less alluring" than, say, Okinawa or Kyoto. Also, I feel like it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If "research" is telling people that Saitama objectively sucks, then it's only going to further cement that image.

The good thing about being a sake fan is that almost every prefecture in Japan has something to offer. ;)
I can think of at least 2-3 incredible sake breweries from each of these seven prefectures, so I'd never in a million years think of them as "unattractive."

On a more serious note, I kind of sympathize with the governor's reaction, and I'd be questioning the point of releasing this sort of list, too, if I were in that position. I mean, for one thing, so much of it is out of their control, based on geographic factors, general stereotypes and preconceptions, etc. etc. Of course a landlocked, suburban/rural area north of Tokyo that isn't Tokyo (Gunma/Saitama/Tochigi/Ibaraki) is going to be seen as "less alluring" than, say, Okinawa or Kyoto. Also, I feel like it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If "research" is telling people that Saitama objectively sucks, then it's only going to further cement that image.
Are you kidding? Do you really think it depends on these factors? The results are 100% in their control. I will bet you that if they hire the Brand Research Institute for "consulting" they will magically change their rankings substantially. :cool:

Ibaraki Prefecture climbed a notch in this year's ranking, leaving the last position to Saga Prefecture. For seven straight years until 2019, Ibaraki had ranked last in the attractiveness rankings. It moved to 42nd place in 2020, but the prefecture fell to the bottom again in 2021.

In the latest rankings, released on Oct. 8, Hokkaido retained its title as the "most attractive" prefecture for the 14th consecutive year, followed by Kyoto and Okinawa prefectures. Yoshihisa Takeshi, president of Anko no Yado Marumitsu, a ryokan inn in Kita-Ibaraki, was pleased to see the prefecture move out of last place. "The efforts by producers and tourism operators to spread the attractions of the prefecture could have yielded this result," he said. In June, managers at the inn started selling a lunch box containing monkfish liver and Ibaraki brand meat. It featured wrapping with the words, "Ibaraki, the least attractive prefecture," but the letters were upside down. "I took the ranking with a grain of salt, and made good use of our bottom position," Takeshi said.

The results of the ranking are here:

I cycled through the east side of Ibaraki this summer. Lots of agriculture and foreign workers there. People were friendly with me at the convenience stores. Ibaraki actually gave me a sense of what Japan probably was like before WW2.
I recommend any cyclist and wild campers to tour Ibaraki. I think you'll enjoy the space, people and freedom that one feels in the air.

Back
Top Bottom