What's new

PIMSLEUR Japanese

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
My parents bought me Pimsleur's Audio japanese for my birthday (Simon & Schuster)

It is supposed to be very expensive..Has anyone else used this and gotten good results?

That's a nice present GCL, when I hear something about Japanese lesson books, I always hear about this book. It is popular, if it is good that is another thing, that I can not answer..

Good luck on the study, and I hope you had a great birthday!

I don't know much about it but there are some people who swear by it while others think it is ineffective. Give it a try and let us know what you think :) it is indeed a very nice present, you should thank your parents (again)

Dutch Baka said:
That's a nice present GCL, when I hear something about Japanese lesson books, I always hear about this book. It is popular, if it is good that is another thing, that I can not answer..
Goodluck on the study, and I hope you had a great birthday!
It's audio. Is that what you mean by book, audio book?

It's audio. Is that what you mean by book, audio book?

I'm glad it sounds good. I noticed on the first lesson I was pronouncing sumimasen not like a native speaker, but with my American accent. The last part sounds more like "m". おもろしい。。

HAI, sorry I meant, when people are looking for things to learn Japanese, Pimsleur is a well known item

I have Pimsleur Japanese: The Short Course, I listen to it mainly for help with pronouncing things since I dont know anyone who speaks Japanese. I suggest starting the language by learning the basics of the language from a book such as "Japanese For Dummies" and once you understand the structure of the language move on to kana/hiraga learning books.

Audio cds will help you remember certain words though, and allow you to convert then into romanji/kana easier. I have pre-ordered Drive Time Japanese, so it can expand my vocabulary when I drive... But in my opinion buying the huge 20+ disc Pimsleur sets is pointless.

Japanese for Dummies, aside from my kana/hiraga work books has been one of my most valuable tools and a great first step:

Amazon product ASIN 0764554298
The book includes a cd that supports some of its content, A Complete Idiots Guide to Conversational Japanese is a good altenative if you cant find Japanese for Dummies.

As for the learning of the language, lol well im using "Japanese for young people" work book series and a dictionary I bought on the characters... 😌 (me = *****)

Japanese for young people 1: Amazon product ASIN 4770021801
Japanese for young people 2: Amazon product ASIN 4770023324
Japanese for young people 3: Amazon product ASIN 4770024967

Pimsleur is pretty good. It helped me a lot with basic phrases. But by the end (lesson 90) you are still pretty much a beginner.

I've never heard of it. But then again, I'm not really into audio tapes. I'm sure it's probably great for those who've never been around native speakers. =/ I personally need the opposite, a big fat grammar book.

Happy belated birthday!

I lean more towards heavy grammar, too. I don't see how you can understand a language without knowing grammar.

I've only listened to about 5 minutes of Pimsleur's Japanese and I thought it was aweful. Not only does it not really teach any grammar, it makes incorrect statements about it in order to side step it. If you aren't studying the grammar on your own along side the Pimsleur tapes, you'll get confused. I've had people who had been using Pimsleur for 6 months ask what "wa" means. That blows my mind.

But any set of tapes will be good for picking up pronunciation, vocabulary and some set phrases so it's not a total waste. And some people don't learn by grammar as well and only want/need to know set phrases. I wouldn't throw them in the trash if I got them for free, but I don't recommend them as a primary learning source.

PIMS is ok if youre using it to learn a few phrases or practice listening comprehension.

Alone - not too good. I remember listening to the tapes awhile back - for shizzles and giggles - and noticing a few differecens in phrases between what I had been taught and what they tell you to say.

Pimsleur is ok I have the 6 cd set and it isn't all that helpful, I hate how when their teaching you to pronounce words they go from the end of the word to the beginning. I use Dr. Blairs because he has fun ways to help you remember the words and the opening is funny XD.

considering I used to be really fluent in japanese pimsleur didn't help me very much, but if it works for you then good :)

I found the unique benefit to Pimsleur to be the challenge/response
way of trying to get you to recall phrases.

If you are studying on your own and have no one to speak to, it is
one step closer to a conversation then you get with a traditional audio tape.

However, you are much better off having a conversation partner.

Also, Pimlseur suffers, as others have noted, but not providing grammar
explanations, writing, etc, etc. so it can only be a modest supplement
to a more complete effort to learn the language.

Finally, I found it a great way to fill time during my 45 minute drive to work,
when working out of a regular book would have been... difficult.

Back
Top Bottom