What's new

Penpals not so friendly

Originally posted by budd
well that's cool too. i'm impressed
i was joking earlier, but i would like to ask her age range (if known) for reals
just curiousity and another factor to plug in to the date-o-vac, thanks

Thanks man. I think She is one year younger than me. About 20. Yeah I'm a legal age to drink!!!!

SAKI FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!! WoOO Hoooo!!!!
................................................Ahem...

👏

Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I have just sent a few more e-mails using those suggestions, and hopefully, I will get a real penpal this time. ;)

Originally posted by Tiger
There's a site called "Penpal Depot". It doesn't look very slick or professional but it's very effective. I can guarantee you'll get a lot of replies if you write a nice profile about yourself. However, you'll find that most of the Japanese who use it are female.

Alternatively you can look at the profiles of Japanese looking for a foreign penpal and reply to any that you like.

The address is: The Japan page (the Pen Pal Depot)

Tiger

Ooh~! Thanx for that link! I just responded to some1's ad there and got a responce in like 2 days. Now i gots myself a lil penpal. ^_~ w00t!

~

:D since a little over a week i started getting al kinds of things from some people i write with or ''penpals'' .it's crazy..
magazines,cd's,candy etc. and LOTS of pics , purikura is nice~having penpals rules~:p

I recently got into having Japanese penpals in a big way and have loads that contact me all the time. I didn't even think that some people might have had bad experiences...

I guess I'm just lucky, I don't think I speak to anyone weird. ^_^

After reading some of the comments on this thread i felt i had to reply. I have just come back from my second visit to japan two days ago and this time i met four of my penpals who i had been corresponding for over 6 months and we got on really well. All it takes is time and effort from both sides and you can have lasting friendships so my advice is keep trying

Originally posted by Chipi
I'd also like to add to that, that don't be too "selfish" when writing the first letters ; be interested in the other person too, don't just write things about yourself. It is of course important to tell your true character (for example I think I wrote my thoughts,the things I like etc.), so that the other person can resolve who is he/she really writing to.

My dumb questions: How many pages are the norm of written penpal letters? I tend to be very verbose.... How often are correspondences usually? sometimes i feel like i'm being neglectful, other times bothersome...

:sorry:

oh, and where can i find the postage rate to japan?

Last edited:
Originally posted by ben0a4
would you believe i got a minidisc player from a girl in japan!?
I would almost feel guilty~~😊

Wow, you got a minidisc player from your penpal!! 😲 I do not think I would be able to accept something like that unless I gave something big back in return. You lucky......

@ninthsaphir: You can find postage rate to Japan here: ircalc.usps.gov/

postage for non-verbose peeps is 80 cents -- sorry i forgot to answer :(

"What is your name?
HELLO!!

Exchange Language:
already mentioned

Where do you live?
already mentioned

Your age:
already mentioned

Your gender:
already mentioned

Look for (Male/Female/Both) friend
already mentioned

Your hobbies:

already mentioned

Meeting location
already mentioned

Why you want to make non-Japenase friend?
already mentioned

How did you find this site?
already mentioned

Comment to your new friend
I've already posted my ad a few days ago. And I'd like to tell ''Rob(from London)'' who sent me an email to my ad. I tried to email him back but I couldn't as his email ad. was not showing.. So if the Rob saw this message and still thought of sending me an email, please send me an email and let me know your ad. I just did not want to ignore his email so I posted this message. Thanks."

(for the record -- i think this is cute!)

=wee=zer :
Yeah~~ well. i guess i should- but it's not like i asked her to send me such~~she had first given me minidiscs and i told her i couldn't listen to em~~😄

My pen pal sent me candles and a cute watch. Never opened the pack up. I just hope I get an all expenses paid ticket from her next.

Just kidding.. Hahahahahaaha

😄

Hey I am having alittle troble finding a PenPal on the some sites I was woundering if anyone would know of any good sites to go on to because if there is I need to know.

:eek: Hey I am having alittle troble finding a PenPal on the some sites I was woundering if anyone would know of any good sites to go on to because if there is I need to know.:(

Ive got a couple of freidns in Japan and some I met as pen pals. I put my name on a website - Japanguide I think and I got loads of requests from people in Japan - wanting to be my friend ;) (haha - mostly from girls) I still get at least 1 every two weeks.

I don't know what people mean when they say penpals, most of the time I think they mean 'date'... Anyways, this is my mini guide to the truth about cats and dogs....

☆pattern your speach in english around sparse isolated phrases, life, love travel, fun, friends, etc... you can write more, but as someone said, don't write a book about your life.

☆many people who check that they can speak english often can not speak it fully, just as people who check that they can speak japanese cant either... know that the person who you are speaking to may not completely know the language--- use a mixture of japanese and english for best effect.

☆talk about things that you like, not things you don't like (obviously)...

☆show an honest interest in the culture of the person whom your trying to meet

☆dont talk about how much you just loooove anime or momusu just yet...

☆talk about where you have been in the world and where you would like to go

☆be yourself, natch. have a personality--- (your milleage may vary)...
use UNICODE! ☆☆☆ ;) (or not...)

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this--- I know a lot of people who are in Japan that either for some reason or another are looking for 'penpals' who happen to ALSO be in Japan... it's difficult to keep in touch with people when they are half way around the world and this is a big factor into the depth and length people will put into a friendship and communication.

Last edited:
"Hey I am having a little trouble finding a PenPal on the some sites"

use a hotmail address

I got a few penpals, its quite simple being yourself (well why would you lie?)
and keeping conversation interesting.

Just write where you are from and say that you would like to be penpal with the person. That will sure go through. It worked for me in some danish forums. But god luck 👍

want a danish penpal ?:p

Gaki said:
I dont like pen pals....they always expect me to tell them about how cool London is...and i hate London !!!! >_<
Either that or they are really boring / dumb / weird.
I prefer talking on Yahoo, most of my friends there i've known for a few years.

Dont be so cruel. I have a penpal from Yokohama and at first he was very excited cos he had been once in Acapulco and blah blah blah.. I was like:"Mexico sucks, dude! Stay more than two days and you'll smell it too..."
But it was the same for me; he just couldn't understand what I found so interesting about his country...

Is all about culture. After a year of letters, we both have learn to know the country as they are, goods and bads, and sometimes we even forget we are two complete strangers who haven't met once! We have a nice relationship. Not all japanese are nice, not all americans are nice, nobody is nice all the time... And I just was lucky to run into him. 🙂

heh...
thanks to this thread i'm gonna try to find penpals on above mentioned sites :)

Back
Top Bottom